SAU Community

im 15 getting an r34 and need help please, am i getting scammed?

SK9R

So i saved up and getting an r34 from japan and importing it

doesn't matter so i don't know what upgrades i should do for the engine or what size turbo or if i don't need to do anything at all

i'm really worried and have been doing a lot of research but just don't understand what internal upgrades i should do. If someone could give me a run down on what i should do to get the car to reach peak performance that would be great.

i was thinking of getting a garrett turbo but if you think i should get something different let me know 

my dad owns an auto shop so i have everything to upgrade it. I'm also buying the car for 15k it has rust and curossion but it still seems a bit cheep could somone let me know if it sounds scetchy

if you search "car from japan" in google the first site is the site i'm importing from these are some photos tho

Screenshot 2022-02-13 1.33.48 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-02-13 1.33.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-02-13 1.34.59 AM.png

doesn't matter so i don't know what upgrades i should do for the engine or what size turbo or if i don't need to do anything at all

i'm really worried and have been doing a lot of research but just don't understand what internal upgrades i should do. If someone could give me a run down on what i should do to get the car to reach peak performance that would be great.

i was thinking of getting a garrett turbo but if you think i should get something different let me know 

my dad owns an auto shop so i have everything to upgrade it. I'm also buying the car for 15k it has rust and curossion but it still seems a bit cheep could somone let me know if it sounds scetchy

if you search "car from japan" in google the first site is the site i'm importing from these are some photos tho

I'm also buying the car for 15,000 USD, it has rust and curossion but it still seems a bit under price could you let me know if it sounds scetchy or if its a straight scam

if you search "car from japan" in google the first site is the site i'm importing from.

Here are screen shots of website and the car i'm looking at

if you want more photos let me know

well how much would be a realistically cheap r34 or r32 be because i'm not loaded on cash. Since my dad despises Nissan he is not giving me a penny for this car(which is reasonable). I do have a VW mk5 gti that my dad bought me so i have money for a project car that's why i'm looking at skylines but i really don't know a reliable website, prices, the different models, and so on,

Don't buy that. Proper junk, inners wills be rusted and being an auto rb20.

Life tip- if you don't have 50% more than what you pay for something you can't afford. This applies even more to used imports. (Housing doesn't count)

You want a r34, import from Australia still rusty and crashed junk but have rb25.

There's only dross like that left in Japan. That and cars that actually could pull $60k or more. This because.....drum roll.....it's 20 years since the R34 was new, 30 years since the R32 was new and the rest of the world has already raped and pillaged the available stock in Japan.

You would seriously be better off looking to buy one from Australia or NZ, where a GTT might be listed on our carsales site for $40-60k (Oz) and might actually sell for 85-90% of asking price in the current market (or might actually sell for asking - what would I know? I'm not buying or selling at the moment.)

Actually, I just realised that that advice was already given by Robbo above. His other advice is also valid. Going back 10 or more years, whenever a dreamer came on here wanting to buy a $10k R32 GTR.....we'd always tell them if you didn't have enough money to rebuild basically everything on it - the engine, transfer case, suspension, rust, etc etc, which would easily add up to multiples of the purchase price, then you would be mad to buy it, because it will break you.

If you want buy this rusty shitbox from Japan and have dreams of turboing it, keep in mind that;

• A turbo RB20 has no torque until boost hits and then it has no traction.
  • The little auto transmission won't hold up to serious power for long and will cost money* to beef up.
  • That converting to a strong manual trans will cost money*.
  • The the stock brakes are tiny and need upgrading.
  • That the diff is open and needs to be replaced.
  • and keep thinking of other things that need to be done, because there are quite a few of them.

And where I say "money" above, I mean more thousands of $$ than you would expect. So, by the time you buy the rusty shitbox, pay to ship it and get whatever govco arse-rape tax etc dealt with, cleaning costs, asbestos certificates, etc etc, and then consider the costs to make it into the car you would like it to be (instead of the rusty shitbox that it currently is) you are going to be quite a few multiples of the balls deep that your current budget appears to extend to. And so we return to buying something known good from Oz/NZ or even pre-existing in the US. For a lot more money than where you think your are.

thank you very much i truly belived that it would just be a bit of rust but thank you for telling me everything i would need to do to it and yes that's totally out of my price range.( around 25 to 30k USD) but i'm going to use that money to upgrade mt mk5 gti. again thanks for the incite. 

well i'm not spending all of it on my golf but i'm going to make it my daily driver and project car for now since getting a skyline seems like a very stupid decision from were i'm at and i can get most parts free from my dads auto shop so i dont know how much i will spend on it but not the full 30k

On 13/02/2022 at 8:14 PM, SK9R said:

? im confused no to what? thanks for the reply tho

As a wise man once said, "use ya brain"

People have given their view as you asked them to, you cannot ask the same question and expect different answers, what you had planned was a poorly though out idea, even before talking about it being a scam 

But hey, your 15, so you'll be sweet

yea from the replys i got i'm def not getting a skyline i know now that to make it to the build i would want it would be way out of my price range and would take a very long time the reson i wanted one is because its one of my dream cars and since the price scy rocketed i wanted to get it as early as possible but its still just too expensive for me. thank you for the reply

I don't think you are getting scammed in terms of the price; the Japs have picked up on the huge demand of these cars so they are punping up the prices ever before they leave Japan.

It says you're from Massachusetts, USA? Are you aware of the 25 year rule for imports? This car is 2000 so it would technically be legal to import in 2025 at the earliest, keep that in mind.

Also it has the RB20DE Neo naturally aspirated engine, the one I got by mistake and currently working on. It does not have oil jets from the block gallery, it has a single compression ring on the piston (9.5:1 CR), it has no provisions for oil/water feeds/returns for a turbo, so you would need to tap/drill and fab up from scratch. The head has solid lifters which is great, the crankshaft has the same main journal diameter as RB25s however the conrod journals are smaller at 45mm. It has a swirl valve mechanism across all intake ports which is a cool little system however a big problem it seems with these is that the sensors responsible for telling when the ECU to open these valves go bad over time so you get almost no power/acceleration from 5000 RPM and up.

The intake ports DO NOT match with any other RB20/25 intake manifold and neither do the gaskets. I have yet to test fit a stock turbo manifold on this head but that one I'm 99% sure it will fit. I am still learning as I go and have lots of pictures already.

Good luck!

• Like 1

thanks for the reply but every other person that has answered my post on different forums said 100% no go and wondering what your input is do you think i should get it or leave it. and if i'm getting it i'm importing it to Canada