SAU Community

Weird sound from exhaust(RB20DE NEO)

Hi i have question.
For comparison this is how it should sound? i think yes....(rev up starts around 1:45)

And my sound is down below.

Iam not a mechanic or anything like that but why is my sound different? It is sounding like it is running on 5 Cylinders? It is that HR HR sound...kinda rough...
Spark plugs and ignition coils are new and they work fine. Another "problem" is that car idles at 1100+ RPM...when i hit gas car responds normally but after that RMP goes for like a second below 800 and whole car shake a little bit(i was told that engine/trans mount can be bad) after that right on to 1100+ and engine stays there the whole time(warm)

I know you guys do not have "magic" ball but all the sugestions what it should be or what my mechanic should look for will be very much appreciated.

Edited by Kapr

Yeah...that higher idle is probably something to do with "air" and it is the first thing he is gonna look at 🙂 
I saw/read many topics on that.
Hope that it is not something major cuz getting parts here is kinda hard...

On 2/20/2022 at 11:29 PM, Kapr said:

Hope that it is not something major cuz getting parts here is kinda hard...

That is going to be a fact of life going forward. You don't buy an old Skyline and hope and pray that you'll be fine. Because you won't. Shit will break. Shit will break whether you drive it or not. You need to start collecting one of everything to put in the shed.

• Sad 1

New info:
Today i was at the mechanic and sadly engine is rly running on 5 cyl...hence the "wierd" sound...
We cant say for sure what is causing that...
Car is definetely getting little bit of air around intake manifold(gasket is not sealing well 100%)

I already have a timing kit for the car and fuel filter but now iam trying to fing gasket set/kit...
Can you help me find one?
I found couple of on the RB20/25DE(T) but no for the RB20DE NEO...
I think that major of the gaskets(95%) should be the same...but NA engine has those "Y" pipe on the intake and that would have a different gasket 😕

161755L700 - 1

140335L300 - 2

140325L300 - 3

14038AA000 - 4

14035AA000 - 5

Refer to the diagram below, I have marked in read  each corresponding number of gasket. There are a total of 5 intake gaskets on our 20 Neos. I have looked all throughout the EU across websites and stores, however since there wasn't an official RB20DE Neo equipped car marketed in the EU, nobody has these in stock.

So your only option would be to source from Amayama. Should be able to find all those from the same warehouse in Japan or UAE. I thought about ordering them but the price outweighs the benefits, so I will be coating my old gaskets with copper spray and thoroughly boost leak testing. Worst case, there are two gasket makers in my home town which could replicate these gaskets, or I could just have them laser cut from 0.1mm sheets.

Just some options worth considering.

1361610109_NeoIntakeGaskets.thumb.png.a6c82049d8ef04f2669e2bb122f89591.png

• Thanks 1

Hi,
Thank you very much for the answer.
I looked too on "every" site and send some email...
You can get easily RB25DET NEO kit and that is also my Q:
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/10101aa025
This gasket is for RB20DE NEO...sadly they do not have it...BUT
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/10101aa525
This is for the RB25DET NEO

When you compare those two pictures...they have exactly the same gasket parts...apart that one (14035P) is missing...
But wierd thing...why does the RB25DET NEO have this (14010A) part as well ...yet this engine has only "one" intake pipe and no Y shape like NA engine...can it be that they include it just "for sure"?

One thing they have is this : https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/11042aa025
But what is valve regrind? I can see that that kit has a "few" parts...

BTW thank you again for the reply 🙂 

EDIT: so after ton of reading and comparing i find this.
That valve regrind kit should have 4 of those 5 gasket inside...so i need that and only part 1 from your picture i need to buy separately.

And i also need rocker cover gasket...where can i find those?

EDIT: sorry 😄
I find this https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/nissan/skyline/10-sedan-right-r34-2000-r-1347/engine-and-fuel-system-5/engine-gasket-kit-engine-422
When you compare RB20DE and RB25DE...the gasket parts are complety the same...only on RB25DE the 14035P part is missing...
So...i can get this kit and buy that one part separately?

Edited by Kapr

Ok i cant edit anymore(sorry for spam) but i think i figure it out like on 99,9%

Sooo.

I bought the 101015L725...it is the gasket kit for RB25DE NEO and for far as i checked(i checked like 100x on different sites and Nissan parts numbers) this kit is litteraly the same as 10101AA025 and only missing one gasket( 14038AA000 )

So iam gonna pray hard that this one gasket is gonna be fine on my car...cuz buying this one is pain...
This number is exactly the same as Subaru exhaust gasket and you may guess who is "winning" on being in stock...
On amayama is available but for like 3-4 months...
So try to change all the gasket except that one and hope 🙂 

Iam glad i figure it out with some help so thank you again 🙂 

On 2/23/2022 at 12:34 AM, Kapr said:

Ok i cant edit anymore(sorry for spam) but i think i figure it out like on 99,9%

Sooo.

I bought the 101015L725...it is the gasket kit for RB25DE NEO and for far as i checked(i checked like 100x on different sites and Nissan parts numbers) this kit is litteraly the same as 10101AA025 and only missing one gasket( 14038AA000 )

So iam gonna pray hard that this one gasket is gonna be fine on my car...cuz buying this one is pain...
This number is exactly the same as Subaru exhaust gasket and you may guess who is "winning" on being in stock...
On amayama is available but for like 3-4 months...
So try to change all the gasket except that one and hope 🙂 

Iam glad i figure it out with some help so thank you again 🙂 

NOOOOOOOOOOO oh my god cancel your order on that Subaru gasket!!! Did you compare the images before you ordered? The Subaru gasket simply happens to have the same part number as the Nissan but IT IS NOT the same. This is the subaru  gasket:

s-l400.thumb.jpg.0b19eaf5fb041f2a1eda5e2f80855b5e.jpg

And this is how our one with the same part number looks like:

nissan-14038aa000-1567845442125-original.thumb.jpg.57963b2d514f714576fcf1c0ac9e6506.jpg

It is missing from the 25 kit because the 25 does not use the swirl valve mechanism. Only the 20DE Neo has it so it requires an additional custom gasket. Also the last gasket that lays between the head and intake, there are two different part numbers between 20 and 25 however on a Russian parts store it says 140355L300 works for both 20 and 25 NEO :

Link

So you may get lucky with that whole kit for the 25 but you still need the other one, or just reuse your old one if it's not too bad. Or like GTSBoy said, make it out of paper but it's very complicated in shape. Hope this helps!

P.S Use something like this website and input your actual VIN so you get 100% accurate part numbers for your specific car. And always compare and look at the diagrams + web images to make 100% sure what part you are buying!

https://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/hr34/3948-rb20de/

Edited by Neostead2000
  • Thanks 1

Ok sorry my english is not so good so i may typed it wrong but dont worry i dont buy the Subaru one :-) i found that like right away cuz when i put that s.n. on google...only the subaru one came out 😄 
I know i need that 14035P...but i hope that this one gasket would be ok...otherwise more waiting time...

This part 140355L300 is in that kit too and for far as i checked it should be the same on RB25 and 20
https://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/hr34/3948-rb20de/engine/102/ here is RB20

https://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/er34/3950-rb25de/engine/102/ here is RB25

And only thing different is the one missing 14035P gasket

I even checked picture from the shop i buy that RB25 kit and apart from that one missing it has everything.

And thank you i already using this site and every other one to check 😄 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

News update(SAD)

My mechanic finds out problem is that 5th cylinder has a very very low compression...like "non" existing.
Others have like 9 on 1-10 scale....5th has like 1...

So he need to take out the head and see the "damage"...

Anyone with that kinda experience? What can i expect? Should this still be something "small" or is it very likey that i will need a new cylinder head?

yeah that is not ideal and won't be cheap to fix whatever the issue. A cylinder with no compression is probably a valve that is not closing as opposed to a bottom end issue like broken ring lands.

You won't need a new head  as the parts in it are individually serviceable, although a good used head might be cheapest if you can find one

Yeah iam hopping for valve/piston and that head/block would be fine.

I found some parts on amayama ...even the head but it costs around 1700 USD and that is without taxes...
Used head for RB20DE NEO is kinda impossible to get here(Europe)

And "funny" enough any "used" head is from Russia and that is big NO NO(and Russian are kinda scammers anyway)

So hopping it is nothing major...pistons/valves/ring lands are available on amayama.

In the unlikely event you need a head sourcing one from here in Australia would be the go, even with the cost of freight.

If you need new genuine parts I would be not using Amayama at the moment. They are becoming increasingly painfully slow to source parts - expect at least around 2 - 3 month wait from time of order. Used to be awesome and are still reliable - if you can wait forever that is. Since the start of the pandemic they have gotten worse over time. If I get my current order from the start of the year by Easter I'll be surprised.

For genuine I've gone back to my original direct Japanese source of JP car parts. You will get most stuff at around 2 weeks - they are awesome. The difference is JP car parts are actually in Osaka Japan, and only source and dispatch from Japan unlike Amayama.

• Thanks 2

@BK: Yeah...the head/engine will be the worst outcome...any sites where should i look for those?(head or even an engine?)
I noticed that amayama is kinda slow...i order couple of cabin filters which they should have around 6-10 day...it is now a month and still nothing.

So any "sites" where can i get genuine parts other then the amayama? Or do you meant JP-carparts web?
I know that site...i try to look there.

On 11/03/2022 at 4:30 PM, Kapr said:

@BK: Yeah...the head/engine will be the worst outcome...any sites where should i look for those?(head or even an engine?)
I noticed that amayama is kinda slow...i order couple of cabin filters which they should have around 6-10 day...it is now a month and still nothing.

So any "sites" where can i get genuine parts other then the amayama? Or do you meant JP-carparts web?
I know that site...i try to look there.

Yes, JP car parts site.

• Thanks 1

Problems is...they are not any 😄 I live in EU(Czech Rep.) and no one has those...so i need to look "worldwide"
But i still dont know what the damage is so trying to keep positive...:-)

I will let you know what the problem is soon as i know.