SAU Community

Noob questions, iso connectors

MrStabby

- Do most modern aftermarket head units come with ISO male connectors at the back?
- So, when fitting a modern head unit to a modern car you typically need a single harness adapter, eg nissan to ISO female
- When fitting an older head unit you'd typically need two harness adapters, eg a nissan to iso female, then iso male to pioneer/JVC/whatever
- Are all the <$300 no brand Android head units dogshit?

tnx

On 6/4/2022 at 9:12 PM, MrStabby said:

- Are all the <$300 no brand Android head units dogshit?

tnx

No idea on the connector side
All the cheap ones are rubbish, not enough ram and slow to start and load apps. Also found the supplied mics to be not  good on sound pick up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To answer my own questions;

- (Some/all) head units don't come with ISO connectors so (some/most/all) connections are via two harness adapters, eg a nissan to iso female, then iso male to pioneer/JVC/whatever.

- I also needed a 'Nissan Double Diversity' aerial adapter (Aerpro AP348A). IIRC the R32 skyline had the same aerial connector as the Stagea.

So for the Stag to JVC, i got;

- 'Nissan ISO Connector' APP0120

- 'JVC to ISO Harness 16 pin' APP8JVCS

- Nissan Double Diversity' AP348A

It worked once then nothing. Suspect there is an underlying wiring issue that was present before the change as i had issues with the factory system.

• Like 4

Had a similar issue when I upgraded the stereo in the m35 I used to have. From memory I ran a grounding wire screwed into the frame of the head unit and chassis. Didn't make sense to me but it made it work and I never had the issue again. Give it a go, can't hurt anything.

• Like 1

Ok, so the 15amp 'radio' fuse near the battery had blown. Replaced it and the new radio works again. However, it appears that the climate controls are dependent on the factory radio being plugged in.

admS15s post above made me think that maybe the ac controls are getting earth from via the oem radio connector, so i tried earthing its chassis but it didn't seem to help.

So my next guess is it needs the BAT and IGN +12v?

Anyone know if the climate controls require the oen radio plugged in/what the dependency is?

Found this;

"I'm about to order a single din ac control board from the states. This is what you need if you're getting rid of your pos bose integrated stereo (or the non bose integrated). You need this board because the ac controls are all part of the clarion (bose) circuit board and when you remove the stereo you remove the ac controls."