SAU Community

Release Bearing Air Gap - How much?

Just wrapping up a CD009 install with an x clutch twin plate. The 42mm release bearing carrier that Collins supplies is made for a single plate clutch and gives me roughly 2mm of air gap. I'm concerned this is too little and that once I install the slave cylinder it will ride on the pressure plate fingers. 

Nissan's next size down is 32mm which would give me 12mm air gap. I could also have my Collins carrier machined to whatever I like. What airgap do Nissans generally run? I cannot find it listed anywhere. I've never had to pay much attention to this in the past. I'm also waiting on a response from X Clutch.

So options are 2mm, 12mm or machine carrier for custom value. Thanks. 

XClutch/Australian clutch services got back to me. Their support is top notch and quick. They confirmed that air gap should be >= to 5mm and travel should be >= to 10mm. 

With that info, I'll replace my 42mm carrier with a 32mm bumping up my air gap to 12mm and call it a day. 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:27 PM, iruvyouskyrine said:

Interested to see how the collins adapter kit goes. Have heard nothing but many bad things from many different people. Do you know if they have changed their kit in recent years?

I'm only using their adapter plate with a milled down bellhousing as apposed to also using their adapter flywheel. There's a lot of advantages and no disadvantages of going this route in my opinion. No idea if it's been revised over the years. 

So far the adapter plate itself has been decent. I've already mock fitted the transmission and everything works.  With that being said, Collins Instructions and after sales support are hands down the worst I've ever seen and just for that alone I would not buy from them again. 

I had more questions then answers after reading their instructions. Their technical writer should be fired. I sent multiple emails, only one was answered by someone who I believe was drunk as I could not understand a lick of it. Phone calls went unanswered. Who ever manages their after sales support should also be fired. 

Edited by TurboTapin

I'd be interested to see what you did with the slave cylinder and bearing, why do people not use the standard item? Is it just the overall height is wrong?

I'm about to do a cut and shut bellhousing conversion for one of these (if I ever get time)

On 7/26/2022 at 7:09 PM, Komdotkom said:

I'd be interested to see what you did with the slave cylinder and bearing, why do people not use the standard item? Is it just the overall height is wrong?

I'm about to do a cut and shut bellhousing conversion for one of these (if I ever get time)

I'm using the slave cylinder originally meant for the CD009. Can't remember the part#, was like 90$. Nissan bearings are all the same from what I can tell, so you can use an RB or Z33. What changes is the bearing carrier aka sleeve. If you have a milled bellhousing as opposed to using the adapter flywheel, you'll need a longer carrier. Bearing and carrier sit further in the CD009 thus requiring a longer one. 

If you remove exactly 14mm from your bell housing, and plan on using a single plate, Collins sells a 42mm carrier that should work. I have one if ever you need it. With a twin plate due to it being thicker I required a 32mm. Nissan part# 30501-U8584. 

I plan on making a DIY on here once I'm done as I couldn't find a single one for RB's. I'm just waiting on my serial nine shifter to arrive to toss everything back in. For now, go see my build thread; I've posted some info there. Cheers. 

Edited by TurboTapin
  • Like 1