SAU Community

New GT-R Owner ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Sam_AusBNR32

55 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

245 is a little bit too wide for 8" wide wheels. 235/45 much better. If you do go 245, then 40 profile a better idea.

Thanks @GTSBoyย 

The OE wheels currently have Mickey Thompson ET Street Series fitted, in a 255/50R16.

245/45R16 sizing was a calculated decision; (I understand this is much larger than the factory tyres), slightly smaller rolling diameter than the MT's, shaves the tyre width as fitted from the MT's @ 10.04" down to a more respectable 9.65".ย ย 

Tyre dimension chart below for reference.

As per your advice, I'll look further into it before ordering ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Screenshot_20221108-221916_Chrome.jpg

You can run fat drag radials because they are not about turning corners. But for decent street/circuit driving, too much width leads to baggy sidewalls which is not nice for cornering performance. You have to rein in your (completely understandable) desire for more rubber on the road to avoid the compromises you have to make elsewhere.

Every time I go to buy tyres I um and ahh about putting 245s on my 8" wide wheels, and eventually punch myself in the face and stay with the 235s. As yours is a GTR, wider tyres are eminently possible - you just need 9.5 or 10" wheels.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Every time I go to buy tyres I um and ahh about putting 245s on my 8" wide wheels, and eventually punch myself in the face and stay with the 235s.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Loud and clear; I appreciate the proverbial punch in the face too lol.ย 

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

You can run fat drag radials because they are not about turning corners. But for decent street/circuit driving, too much width leads to baggy sidewalls which is not nice for cornering performance. You have to rein in your (completely understandable) desire for more rubber on the road to avoid the compromises you have to make elsewhere.

Every time I go to buy tyres I um and ahh about putting 245s on my 8" wide wheels, and eventually punch myself in the face and stay with the 235s. As yours is a GTR, wider tyres are eminently possible - you just need 9.5 or 10" wheels.

Even on the 9.5" and 10" wheels like I have on the 32 GTRs the above is true. 275 or 285 does not fit on car or corner as well as 255 or 265 with these widths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/11/2022 at 9:31 PM, Shoota_77 said:

I had one, terrible car! ย The CVT felt like it was operated by the loosest rubber band ever madeโ€ฆ. ย 

Mine was a GT wagooon manual. Floppy shifter but otherwise ran fine. I was rather lucky as I had zero issues with it. I found it quite a luxurious ride.

As for tyres, my general rule of thumb is:
7.0" = 215
7.5" = 225
8.0" = 235
8.5" = 245
9.0" = 255
9.5" = 265
10.0" = 275

But I did put 265/35 on R34 GT-R (18x9) wheels though

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Mine was a GT wagooon manual. Floppy shifter but otherwise ran fine. I was rather lucky as I had zero issues with it. I found it quite a luxurious ride.

As for tyres, my general rule of thumb is:
7.0" = 215
7.5" = 225
8.0" = 235
8.5" = 245
9.0" = 255
9.5" = 265
10.0" = 275

But I did put 265/35 on R34 GT-R (18x9) wheels though

This assumes all tyres are measured equal, which they are definitely not. In real world an AD08R in 265 is wider than their own Advan v105 in 275 for example. RS4 265 is about the same as an AD08R 255, so this fact alone really complicates things. It'sย  taken me about 15+ years to get my head around this from trial and error,ย  which always makes me cautious on using a tyre I'd never tried before.

• Like 2