SAU Community

V36 / 370 gt headlight adjustment

Ok I'm new here and sure this has been covered previously but no amount of searching has turned up a thread on adjusting the headlights on my 07 370 gt. Haven't spotted anything real obvious that screams adjuster +/- Not real sure on how many variants there are, but mine are the HID active cornering ones. Also would be very interested if anyone has installed additional driving lights in the lower fog lamp blank outs? I've seen oem shrouds / fog lamps available and it kinda got me thinking another pair of HIDs down there would be a good thing as I do find mine (although decently bright) a little underwhelming. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

On 21/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, V35_Paul said:

yeah you can adjust them. From memory there is a hole on top somewhere and in the hole is the screw to adjust them.

Yeah cheers V35_Paul. Worked it out. The hole is hidden beneath the rubber engine bay seal / trim and the "screw" is a plastic gear which engages the edge of a p2 phillps when its jammed in the slot. All feels very vague but seems to work despite the questionable design. I could see the plastic gears getting munged out easily if you weren't careful with how you go about it... not helped by the fact that you can't really see what it's doing other than watching the headlight beam on the wall and crossing your fingers 🤞

• Like 2

On 20/11/2022 at 12:20 AM, nicko370 said:

Also would be very interested if anyone has installed additional driving lights in the lower fog lamp blank outs? I've seen oem shrouds / fog lamps available and it kinda got me thinking another pair of HIDs down there would be a good thing as I do find mine (although decently bright) a little underwhelming

you want the brightest part of your low beam to be at the cut-off. You don't want light in front of your bumper because you can't see into the distance.

How old are your bulbs? Have you inspected the projector bowls? Make sure the outer plastic lenses/covers are clear, any hazing or yellowing dramatically reduces output.

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2022 at 11:46 PM, niZmO_Man said:

you want the brightest part of your low beam to be at the cut-off. You don't want light in front of your bumper because you can't see into the distance.

How old are your bulbs? Have you inspected the projector bowls? Make sure the outer plastic lenses/covers are clear, any hazing or yellowing dramatically reduces output.

Bulbs? Not sure.. car has 170ks on the clock and lenses are nice and clear but I guess there's every chance they are original globes.  Projector bowls seem decent but not really sure what I'm looking for here. Again, lights aren’t  terrible just not brilliant either. Adjustment has helped a bit but thought if I could add a pair of decent hid spotties to come on with the high beam, although not ideal situated so low to the ground, could make a big difference. Slightly unconventional but you can never have too much light for night driving right? 

could mount something in the grill area? or roof rack :P

Bulbs are about 5-7 years max, they start blue shifting and dim until failure. Bowls will be much harder to check, basically have to split the housing and take the projector apart, unless you have some fancy fibre optic camera. Not worth doing unless you notice the light barely visible.

Just grab an Osram/Philips bulb from here https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/category/xenon-hid-bulbs-d2s-d2r-d1s-d1r/fitting/d2s-85122

Cool Blue Boost is for that 6000K LED look, other wise any of the others will be better than old OEM ones. I found Cool Blue Intense to be the right amount of blue for that 'modern' look without compromising too much on usable light. Otherwise, Philips vision (standard replacement) works great (I'm still rocking those in my first HID retrofit in my R32).

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2022 at 12:01 AM, niZmO_Man said:

Roof rack?? Hell yeah!!! Now why didn't I think of that already?🤣 I could fit like six of them up there - big 10 inch ones.. and one of them big curved light bar thingies.... hmmm ....🤔

On 08/12/2022 at 12:01 AM, niZmO_Man said:

Bulbs are about 5-7 years max, they start blue shifting and dim until failure. Bowls will be much harder to check, basically have to split the housing and take the projector apart, unless you have some fancy fibre optic camera. Not worth doing unless you notice the light barely visible.

Just grab an Osram/Philips bulb from here https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/category/xenon-hid-bulbs-d2s-d2r-d1s-d1r/fitting/d2s-85122

Cool Blue Boost is for that 6000K LED look, other wise any of the others will be better than old OEM ones. I found Cool Blue Intense to be the right amount of blue for that 'modern' look without compromising too much on usable light. Otherwise, Philips vision (standard replacement) works great (I'm still rocking those in my first HID retrofit in my R32).

But cheers nizmo .. will definitely look into bulbs methinks.. was even wondering about new projectors.  Has anyone switched them out with halo jobbies? Is it even doable?

the now dead forum hidplanet had quite a bit of USDM based information, and the G37 projectors were regarded as being pretty good. Normally you'd just throw new bulbs in, or clear lenses if you want that sharp cut off. Helps to hold the projector in your hand, so you can inspect the bowls. I wouldn't bother changing unless the bowls are burnt.