SAU Community

Which turbo to choose for my R34 GTT

Hy everyone!

I have to change my actual stock turbo (it is soon dead) because i have to change it, so as well do it by a bigger one.

But before buying anything I would have liked to have several informations 😛.

First of all, i have a R34 GTT with bigger FMIC, Tomei elbow, 750cc injectors and 400L/h fuel pomp. All the rest is Stock.

For sure the best for me is all ot these greddy ot Tomei Turbo but...it toooo way much expensive for me. Instead of that while searching I found the Mamba Turbos, they looks nice, but do you have any feedback on them!??

According to the opinions of the internet it's good stuff, but I would have to have your opinion ^^.

Finally also, what do you think of Hybrids??? Hybryd Mamba?

I also specify that I am looking for one that does not require any modification of bay or other, I am looking for pure bolt-on turbo.

I already ask  the seller from Mamba and he offers me this one for exemple: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194415984663 

What do you think? Bullshit or not??

I hesitate between this first one ajuste above and this one : MAMBA GTX Turbo for Nissan RB20DET RB25DET 3" 5200 GTX3071R w/ .57 Bolt-On Hsg | eBay

I would add that i want a turbo which spool at the good time (not to late like 4000 rpm) but spool more or less like Oem turbo. (hope your understand my words)

Thanks a lot everyone and sorry for my bad english.

Edited by zack777

16 minutes ago, zack777 said:

Hy everyone!

I have to change my actual stock turbo (it is soon dead) because i have to change it, so as well do it by a bigger one.

But before buying anything I would have liked to have several informations 😛.

First of all, i have a R34 GTT with bigger FMIC, Tomei elbow, 750cc injectors and 400L/h fuel pomp. All the rest is Stock.

For sure the best for me is all ot these greddy ot Tomei Turbo but...it toooo way much expensive for me. Instead of that while searching I found the Mamba Turbos, they looks nice, but do you have any feedback on them!??

According to the opinions of the internet it's good stuff, but I would have to have your opinion ^^.

I also specify that I am looking for one that does not require any modification of bay or other, I am looking for pure bolt-on turbo.

I already ask  the seller from Mamba and he offers me this one for exemple: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194415984663 

What do you think? Bullshit or not??

I hesitate between this first one ajuste above and this one : MAMBA GTX Turbo for Nissan RB20DET RB25DET 3" 5200 GTX3071R w/ .57 Bolt-On Hsg | eBay

I would add that i want a turbo which spool at the good time (not to late like 4000 rpm) but spool more or less like Oem turbo. (hope your understand my words)

Thanks a lot everyone and sorry for my bad english.

Chinese turbos have a tendency to be defective out of the box. It sounds like you’re budget limited so I recommend rebuilding the stock turbo: https://hypergearturbos.com/product/rb25dethighflow/

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, zack777 said:

For sure the best for me is all ot these greddy ot Tomei Turbo

Simply not true. Do not even consider them.

42 minutes ago, zack777 said:

All the rest is Stock.

This is concerning. What about the ECU?

43 minutes ago, zack777 said:

I found the Mamba Turbos, they looks nice, but do you have any feedback on them!??

Many people have used them successfully. But Joshua's warning above applies - to some extent. Quality control is not necessarily excellent.

43 minutes ago, zack777 said:

That depends on what you mean by "hybrid". It's a pretty meaningless thing to talk about a hybrid Mamba. Hybrid with what exactly?

Myself personally? I would not consider an "eBay" turbo for a car that I like. Only for a shitbox.

If you just want an easy bolt on turbo option, then you would be well advised to send your stocker to Tao at Hypergear for a highflow. It will meet your specifications for good spool, will be easy to fit, and will make plenty of power. The only downside is having to send it halfway around the world and back to get it done. There are probably turbo builders in your part of the world that can do a highflow, but we can't comment on how good they are. Tao is good.

11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Simply not true. Do not even consider them.

Oh really ? You already had problems with this kind of brands? in my country they are considered good product but too expensive...

This is concerning. What about the ECU?

Completely stock but car don't work, im waiting my new turbo and after that a "mapper" will configure it with nistune. (sorry if i have the wrong word)

That depends on what you mean by "hybrid". It's a pretty meaningless thing to talk about a hybrid Mamba. Hybrid with what exactly?

When i said hybrid i said a orignal turbo nissan modified by bigger chra etc...

Myself personally? I would not consider an "eBay" turbo for a car that I like. Only for a shitbox.

If you just want an easy bolt on turbo option, then you would be well advised to send your stocker to Tao at Hypergear for a highflow. It will meet your specifications for good spool, will be easy to fit, and will make plenty of power. The only downside is having to send it halfway around the world and back to get it done. There are probably turbo builders in your part of the world that can do a highflow, but we can't comment on how good they are. Tao is good.

So for you of course, you don't recommend me mamba??

I was hesitate between this two one :

Hybrid : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194415984663 

not Hybrid : MAMBA GTX Turbo for Nissan RB20DET RB25DET 3" 5200 GTX3071R w/ .57 Bolt-On Hsg | eBay

if i understand for you  neither of them....lol

Edited by zack777

11 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Chinese turbos have a tendency to be defective out of the box. It sounds like you’re budget limited so I recommend rebuilding the stock turbo: https://hypergearturbos.com/product/rb25dethighflow/

Thanks for the link, that is i called, we called hybrid turbo.

They are strong? i mean i don't want one which break in 1000Km....

There is a rumor that hybrid turbo make more EGT and killed piston head, That's what they say on the our forums at home, but I find it hard to believe, after all I'm not a mechanic...

17 hours ago, zack777 said:

Thanks for the link, that is i called, we called hybrid turbo.

They are strong? i mean i don't want one which break in 1000Km....

There is a rumor that hybrid turbo make more EGT and killed piston head, That's what they say on the our forums at home, but I find it hard to believe, after all I'm not a mechanic...

High-flowing a stock turbo correctly means you machine the housings to have the correct profile and have a proper match between turbine and compressor. This means there isn't excessive backpressure causing internal EGR at high RPM. This may be the "rumor" you've heard about. It won't necessarily blow up an engine with proper tuning but it will reduce how much power you can make. Proper balancing and machining is also critical. Chinese turbos like Mamba/Pulsar/etc are all generally speaking going to have larger gaps between the compressor/turbine wheel and the housing because they aren't confident in their machining and process control which means worse performance even if the general profile and everything else is supposed to be comparable.

Greddy I have a hard time saying for sure but Tomei turbos are generally unpopular because they tended to make for laggy engines. They worked just fine otherwise but from what I can tell there were better options for the money. Hypergear is the way to go for that reason IMO. Only reason why I didn't get a Hypergear turbo was to try the HKS GTIII-SS. 

On 29/12/2022 at 5:31 AM, joshuaho96 said:

High-flowing a stock turbo correctly means you machine the housings to have the correct profile and have a proper match between turbine and compressor. This means there isn't excessive backpressure causing internal EGR at high RPM. This may be the "rumor" you've heard about. It won't necessarily blow up an engine with proper tuning but it will reduce how much power you can make. Proper balancing and machining is also critical. Chinese turbos like Mamba/Pulsar/etc are all generally speaking going to have larger gaps between the compressor/turbine wheel and the housing because they aren't confident in their machining and process control which means worse performance even if the general profile and everything else is supposed to be comparable.

Greddy I have a hard time saying for sure but Tomei turbos are generally unpopular because they tended to make for laggy engines. They worked just fine otherwise but from what I can tell there were better options for the money. Hypergear is the way to go for that reason IMO. Only reason why I didn't get a Hypergear turbo was to try the HKS GTIII-SS. 

Ok thank you for all your information. at this point i'm still not decided, but i think i will letting down Mamba turbo and wait a little more to try a high flowing stock turbo by a mechanic here at home. But i hope he as good as your Tao.

Thanks again guys.