SAU Community

What space saver wheel to use on Stagea after updgrading to 18inch rims?

Stagea_Neo

Hi All,

Just wondering what people use for a space saver when upgrading their rims to 18inch?

Been looking around for something to replace the stock 16inch space saver as doing a few long trips and don't want to get caught out

Cheers,

Pete

Work out what overall size your new tyres are, then find anything that fits in the hole to suit. Example: my 275/40 17 R888R are 25.7" diameter, my spare is 205/65 15 with a 25.5" diameter. This gives me a difference on 1% diameter which "should" be fine with 99% of cars. You don't want 3% or over. https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyre-size-calculator

I just have the standard one, it has been fine (for short distances) even with bigger tyres (I run 245/45/18).

The bigger issue is that the standard spare doesn't fit over big front brakes, so despite GTSBoy's good advice, I have to run it on the rear. Have done so a few times without issue, just take it easy and change as soon as you can

Interesting, I have been told the opposite and to avoid running a spare tyre in the front. And shuffle a good tyre from rear to front if necessary. Mostly because there is more weight in the front, more demand on it in corners and also in general when braking. It doesn't seem very safe to run a puny spare in the front when there is a lot riding on it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys..

The Bogan

- Thanks for that link, I checked it out and 1.07% difference to one space saver I've been looking at which is off a 370z.

GTS Boy

- 4WD. 

Duncan

-I'm in the same situation now, as I upgraded to r34gtr vspec2 brakes since last using the stock space saver.

I haven't trial fitted at the back yet, I assume it may foul the calliper as it sits further away from the hub to accommodate the bigger disc?

I've ran the stock 16" space saver once when I had a puncture on the rear left (had r34gtt callipers at the time), didn't go over 60kmh and only needed to drive about 10km distance.  Could really feel the car tilting toward the left rear. I dint like it at all.

Soviet Merlin/GTS Boy

- I haven't heard that before regarding the position of the space saver...thanks to you both for raising that point.

Just went and double checked my tire size, I'm running 245/40/18.

Regarding the 370z space saver I saw it is 145 / 70R18 107M.

However in regard to hub diameter, apparently 370z is 66.1mm.  Where as Stagea/Skyline is 66mm diameter.

I've seen a couple of websites contradict these diameters in recent days in further searches, advising 66mm on Stagea/Skyline/370z or 66.1mm for all three. (grrrrrr).

That leads to more questions ie.

What is the definitive hub diameter of these vehicles?

Could you run the 370z space saver (66.1mm) on a Skyline/Stagea (66mm) hub if those measurements are correct?

Would it cause too much pressure on the studs without that snug hub fitment and cause them to crack or snap?

Would the space saver run in an elliptical manner as not centred on the hub correctly even by .1mm?

ps. I've got r34gtr rims.

Edited by Stagea_Neo

I run 32 GTR brakes on the rear, and the stock space saver fits over them fine. It is the 350mm ATTKD 8 spots that doesn't fit.

There is absolutely no issue using a wheel that fits over the hub, even if the hub ring is not correct (obviously you cannot mount the wheel if it's bore is smaller than the hub size.  The hub/wheel bore is just to make it easier to fit the wheel, once it is on the pressure of the wheel nuts on the stud clamping the wheel to the hub face hold it in place. 

If they were day to day rims with a bore mismatch you can buy hub centric adapters but don't lose a second's sleep with a temporary spare

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I run 32 GTR brakes on the rear, and the stock space saver fits over them fine. It is the 350mm ATTKD 8 spots that doesn't fit.

There is absolutely no issue using a wheel that fits over the hub, even if the hub ring is not correct (obviously you cannot mount the wheel if it's bore is smaller than the hub size.  The hub/wheel bore is just to make it easier to fit the wheel, once it is on the pressure of the wheel nuts on the stud clamping the wheel to the hub face hold it in place. 

If they were day to day rims with a bore mismatch you can buy hub centric adapters but don't lose a second's sleep with a temporary spare

Thanks Duncan, that gives me re-assurance in possibly going a 370z space saver.

6 hours ago, Bodella said:

I have R34 GTT brakes front and back had to go with 370z space saver, no problems with using front or back.  Note it doesn't fit in the spare tyre well.  

Cheers Bodella, thought that maybe the case regarding tyre well.