SAU Community

Tips for removing crank bolt on auto RB25

Pretty much as per title. I have to do a timing belt / water pump replacement so I'm trying to figure out the hurdles before I get to them. What are some ways of preventing the crank from turning while loosening or tightening the crank bolt with an auto gearbox? Maybe jamming something into the starter ring gear?

Undoing as above.

For tightening you really need to lock the flex plate. Can be done with a mate with a screw driver, or get a proper tool if no friends.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:39 AM, Ben C34 said:

Having said that I have done it with a screw driver on my own but that was on engine stand.in car would be more challenging.

Just double checking how you're locking (and accessing) the flex plate with the engine+trans in the car? Is that using a screwdriver in a vent/breather port directly under the bell housing?

Starter motor out.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, zoomzoom said:

Just double checking how you're locking (and accessing) the flex plate with the engine+trans in the car? Is that using a screwdriver in a vent/breather port directly under the bell housing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, zoomzoom said:

I'll probably tackle this over the weekend. The manual says to remove the radiator, do you guys bother with that?

Yes, if not you'll have a hard time trying to remove the balancer.

Not saying it's impossible but you'll be swearing less, and not damaging your radiator in the process.

Also probably good time to inspect the radiator and replace if required.

I do not enjoy removing the Stagea starter motor or any if I can help it. I constructed these locking bars that attach to the front pulley. Only the M6 extractor bolts hold it in location, use high tensile bolts nipped up tight. I can get up to specified torque on pulley bolt with out the locker self destructing or bolts breaking. I've also used a piece of pipe about 30mm OD with some M10 bolts welded on, these engaged into the  lugs that exist on inner of the Stagea pulley. Not so for my RB20E R33, hasn't got those afore mentioned lugs. That is the crustier looking of the 2 items in photo, bit tighter fit in there on that one. The one with the ring is Stagea and I assume other RB25's.

plz8gd.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, just got the radiator out and I think I'll make a tool to hold the pulley. Forget taking the starter out LOL

Funny that even the Nissan manual specifies a ring gear locking tool that requires taking the starter out.

Feeling a little nervous about those M6 threaded holes. The puller that I have only comes with some imperial bolts and they're all like M10 or M12 equivalent in size.

• Like 1

Here's the tool I came up with if anyone needs some ideas on making their own. This is using the scrap I had lying around, just happened to have an ideal sized piece of steel pipe. The "teeth" are bits of M12 threaded rod, (obviously unthreaded would be fine too), and spaced out at 120 degrees. Just got the bolt loosened by myself, tightening shouldn't be too much of a hassle now either. 

balancertool.jpg

• Like 1