SAU Community

Stuff to do on my R32 GT-R when it arrives

Yeh its not a total wreck, just know your going have to whack x amount of money into it ontop of the initial purchase price, & seeing its an import you would have got it very cheap anyway so that will give you some money to spare & you'll get the car looking and going the way it should be :D

That's the plan, the end result is going to be a mint car :D

-Patrick

Do you guys know some good places to get parts in melbourne?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noone is having a go at you. Just that looking at the car we would all assume high boost, turbo wear, motor wear and the previous owner has gotten rid of it because of troubles. Hopefully those problems dont include engine rebuild etc..

The holes from the original spoiler are visible so thats one thing you will have to look at, if you want it looking smick.

Noone is having a go at you. Just that looking at the car we would all assume high boost, turbo wear, motor wear and the previous owner has gotten rid of it because of troubles. Hopefully those problems dont include engine rebuild etc..

The holes from the original spoiler are visible so thats one thing you will have to look at, if you want it looking smick.

I'll probably put a stock GTR spoiler on it, i like the look of those :)

It's true that the car has probably been driven hard, and it's condition unknown. That's part of the risk you take buying a GTR, even one in stock condition. I can just hope that it's not too bad.

Worst case if the engine is blown, or major chassis damage, i can either rebuild or strip/sell, although the thought of option 2 makes me quite emotional..

-Patrick

I think if you're going to buy a 2nd hand car, you should have a very in depth conversation with the owner about the car & its history to get an idea of what kind of owner the owner is.

So if your speaking to the owner who has modified the car quite a lot & has used a good combination of suitable / compatible quality parts throughout the whole car 'while also knowing a lot about cars themself when they talk' , you would think that they would take care of the car.

I bought my car of an owner who really loved the car & treated it very well, he unfortunately had to sell it to get a family car with more space *satisfy the wife*. He told me how he trashed his old 180 sx but the skyline was his baby so he treated it right, he knew a lot about the car, lots of technical terms & facts, this gives the impression that he know's & loves the car enough to treat it right.

Now thats only Check 1. I also had a mechanic check everything on the car before i bought it & it was a BUY BUY BUY result for me for the icing on the cake.

Since owning the car i've had no mechanical problems, i've done a little performance work to it & am making very good power from the engine being in great condition.

When i was first skyline shopping, i was very sceptical of buying a modded car thinking it was thrashed, but if you find the right seller with a modded car, you'll find the car is actually the opposite to have being thrashed but instead looked after extremely well as for it was a passion for them to mod their car 'like a lot of us skyline owners'.

Some rich buggers will mod a car to brag & say "i've got 10 trillion rw megawatt over your piss weak 300 rwkw" *exaggeration right... lol* & thrash the buggary out of it, others will say "my last mod was a little difficult adapting the new exhaust manifold onto the RB20 but it was worth it as for it gave me 15 kw in extra power which i was very pleased with, the car now makes 180 rwkw which is great for the small capacity engine" & the right people will appreciate it. “the quotes were made up examples only”

It annoys me how so many people whack big fat exhaust, BOV’s, & Pod filters onto their cars like it’s meant to be cool or something, like they don’t even know the real benefits & reasons to fitting the parts.

Back to the point, conversations with the owner for me would be a must.

I was thinking of doing a V8 (mabe twin turbo) 240Z project car or just getting an 89 model GTR and doing that up....

I am now thinking of getting the GTR as I don't have the time to strip back a 240z and replace everything...

I think you will have some fun making that car your own, but if you are going to use it as a daily driver it will probably take some time and a bit of money befroe you get it all up and running....You may not have saved as much as you would think....

geno8r: The fact is if you want to buy an R32 GTR in Australia you'll usually pay about ~$10k extra for that luxury.

Damn thats almost enough of a saving to drop a brand new R34 GTR N1 RB26DETT into the car..

This is why people are importing.

good to see you taking a risk... risks can be extremly rewarding if luck is on your side. I plan to import an R32 GTR as a first import in the future but im leaning towards more stockish and good condition appeal. But reading over the prestiege article, if its claimed 650HP is genuine then you got yourself a nice car even if it needs a little work.

Good luck with the car....

geno8r: The fact is if you want to buy an R32 GTR in Australia you'll usually pay about ~$10k extra for that luxury.
& in the instance of buying an import when you can't speak to the owner, then you'd wana pick a ride that atleast looks all square.

I know why people are importing pentae, i will be doing it for when i get an r34 GTR one day... The prices some aussies are asking for their skylines compared to imports are a joke "tell him he's dreaming luv"

The car is probably going to be my second car, driven during the week if i feel like it, and definitely on the weekends. It's likely to see a bit of track work too.

I'll probably buy a '85 corolla or something as a shopping trolley :P

-Patrick

Hey Patrick, don't worry about it mate - look at the extras that you got with the car and you will come out in front. From the look of it I would say it is mostly cosmetic. That I/C is certainly not stock - depending on the level of damage (looks like the end tank has seperated from the core), it may be possible to repair it!

One of the guys in Canberra with 2350's on his GTR is running ~300rwkw.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes :rofl:

DAN00H

One of the guys in Canberra with 2350's on his GTR is running ~300rwkw.

Substantially higher than that now :rofl:

You can get 400rwkw from them but you are close to pushing them tpo their absolute limits and its not usually obtainable on pump fuel.

But, all in all a good list of mods with the car. I know someone locally who also bought a seriously front end damaged GTR a few years back with the intention of rebuilding it. Everyone told him it was too far gone and unrepariable, and 12 months later it was one of the best looking and performing GTR's in this area.

ocean: Take it from me... I've seen *many* of these cars up close in Japan, in fact I just had a look at one last week here in Nishinomiya.

Your car, being located out in the country, is gonna have rust. On top of the obvious mechanical and cosmetic problems. I must admit, when I saw the pics, I thought "oh no... you didn't did you?". I bet the driver/owner of that car raced it regularly, then had a minor accident, then realized that the repair cost is goona approach the total amount he paid for the car (400 - 500,000 yen).

ocean, I know how you must feel, I bought a rough R32 with plans to do it up... but even with my car (better condition) it's still a money waster bar none.

Good luck.