SAU Community

Stuff to do on my R32 GT-R when it arrives

ocean: Take it from me... I've seen *many* of these cars up close in Japan, in fact I just had a look at one last week here in Nishinomiya.

Your car, being located out in the country, is gonna have rust. On top of the obvious mechanical and cosmetic problems. I must admit, when I saw the pics, I thought "oh no... you didn't did you?". I bet the driver/owner of that car raced it regularly, then had a minor accident, then realized that the repair cost is goona approach the total amount he paid for the car (400 - 500,000 yen).  

ocean, I know how you must feel, I bought a rough R32 with plans to do it up... but even with my car (better condition) it's still a money waster bar none.

Good luck.

I will just have to see how it is when it arrives.. Like i have said before, i'm willing to spend the time to make it right.

-Patrick

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just have to see how it is when it arrives..

-Patrick

Let us know... I'm really interested to see how things turn out. I hope it turns out that I was wrong!

Let us know... I'm really interested to see how things turn out. I hope it turns out that I was wrong!

Believe me, i hope you are wrong too.

The reasons I bought the car were that i believe the modifications to be extensive and valuable. I don't quite see why you think the car would have rust - none was indicated on the condition report i received. I think that the car has probably been sitting in a garage/shed for quite some time, and the owner has finally decided to sell.

I don't quite get why alot of people seem to think that this car has been raced.. It may have been, and there is no real way to tell, but i think there are alot of premature judgements being made.

I think i will probably take the sump off the car, and possibly even take the head off to look at the pistons/bores, but I am of the mind that alot of people are over dramatising cars and their condition in general from japan.

Remember, they have car enthusiasts too..

-Patrick

Take the sideskirts off to check for rust and damage to the chassis/lower body (where the black paint starts) if the car has been picked up by a forklift. Check the area around where the rear bumper meets the rear guards too... lots of rust there usually, but can be overlooked by a quick inspection. Sometimes you can only see the extent of it when the bumper is off.

I think most 15 year old cars in Japan are dodgy... thats just my opinion. I say that because even so called enthusiasts in Japan lose respect for *old* cars that cost them more to run/remain registered that their monthly rent bill.

the car would of been sitting somewhere for a long time. That engine bay has probably seen cleaner days and either the owner didnt care for it (unlikely) or since the smash its been sitting somewhere (most probable)

This was my impression also.

-Patrick

Take the sideskirts off to check for rust and damage to the chassis/lower body (where the black paint starts) if the car has been picked up by a forklift. Check the area around where the rear bumper meets the rear guards too... lots of rust there usually, but can be overlooked by a quick inspection. Sometimes you can only see the extent of it when the bumper is off.

This is the kind of information i'm really looking for, thanks for the tip - i will do these things when the car arrives too.

I'm starting to get the feeling that i will be pulling most of the car to pieces...

-Patrick

I think Patrick has taken a very mature approach to this car and I believe that even if he does luck out he wont be too far out of pocket.

All that is required is at the very most a few grand spent to repair the damage, then if he doesnt like the car he can sell it at a PROFIT and import another one until he gets it right.

Whats the worst that can happen, the guy will probably luck out and have a spastic 500hp GTR that tears up the strip doing 11s? Damn would that be a pity.

Lovin your work Patrick :D

my 91 gtr had a bit of rust under the boot floor, looked liek a bad repair in the past. the front end repair on the other hand was excellent, if it wasnt for the new parts you would nt have picked it.

lets face it, there are no cheap, old gtrs...if you dont pay up front you will be in repair bills...it sounds like he is ready for that, so Good Luck with it :D

What concerns me looking at the pics is the fact the fan looks to be touching the belts on the front of the engine so there is quite likely to be additional damage that is not visible from the pictures provided

I also looked at the car and thought wow, performance bargain, but I would have been factoring an additional $10k on top of the purchase price for bodywork repair, major servicing, new intercooler etc. Even then, if and I stress if it repairs up ok, you have potentially a very nice modified gtr for $26k odd which is still good value.

Unfortunately though, it will be a wait and see situation with this car.

Best of luck ocean

Guys guys guys, this car is a bargain and its HOT.

I smell jelousy....

This car is a risk however.

I was *VERY* lucky to get this car when i did, it was a matter of being available at the right time.. i missed out on a lot of cars before this one was found - there were alot of other people who wanted to buy it.

As far as the suspension is concerned, google knows jack all about it. Other than "it's on my car" i don't know anything else about it..

Blitz: I'm not sure that i can see what you mean, i assume you are referring to the first picture. The car is driveable, so if a fan was colliding with a belt i doubt that it would be.

-Patrick