SAU Community

Stagea Suspension

Sydneykid

so wat do we have for M35's???

You can get a Bilstein kit for the ARX that drops the car about 35mm from standard ride height. This does not cause any problem for the suspension settings and the camber is still within normal operating range. I am not sure if any of the other suspension brands offer a kit for the ARX. Make sure any kit you get is for the ARX as the RX & RS sit 40mm lower on standard springs. To fit a kit for one of these other models would end up with the car about 70mm lower and I am quite sure you would have problems with wheel clearance on the front guards.

I also fitted adjustable swaybars front and rear. The standard ones are hollow and the new set are solid. rear went from 18mm hollow to 24mm solid. Fron went from 29mm hollow to 30mm solid.

This made a big difference to the balance and in particular the turn in of the car.

Good luck with your shopping.

Cheers

Andy

Just an update on rwd spec options. Have had lots of help from a few others who have rwd's. But I've found a shop in brizzy "southside supspension" who will order me in some bilstiens to fit the front for $350 a pop. Which seems like the cheapest option for quality supsension, so I think I'm gonna go with that.

:down:

Get a quote and shop around mate, list price for fronts is $296 incl.gst when i checked earlier this week. That's for a RS4 but all prices would be similar. They should be able to do better than that.

Get a quote and shop around mate, list price for fronts is $296 incl.gst when i checked earlier this week. That's for a RS4 but all prices would be similar. They should be able to do better than that.

Yeah but rs4 fronts are a shelf item, no one here stocks rwd spec front suspension. I've found a few shops in NZ that stock them, but I was quoted $320 each and then I would have to ship em over.

I'll keep lookin, but this is the cheapest I've found so far.

Cheers

You can get a Bilstein kit for the ARX that drops the car about 35mm from standard ride height. This does not cause any problem for the suspension settings and the camber is still within normal operating range. I am not sure if any of the other suspension brands offer a kit for the ARX. Make sure any kit you get is for the ARX as the RX & RS sit 40mm lower on standard springs. To fit a kit for one of these other models would end up with the car about 70mm lower and I am quite sure you would have problems with wheel clearance on the front guards.

I also fitted adjustable swaybars front and rear. The standard ones are hollow and the new set are solid. rear went from 18mm hollow to 24mm solid. Fron went from 29mm hollow to 30mm solid.

This made a big difference to the balance and in particular the turn in of the car.

Good luck with your shopping.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, roughly what did you pay (if you dont mind me asking) for your Bilsteins and springs and where from?

Regards, Dale

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SK can you give me some advice please. I have just bought a Whiteline rear 22mm solid antiroll bar for my series1 rs4. I see from you picture that the link arms are forced out at an angle so that answers one question. The other is that my D clamps holes in the subframe are too far apart for the bar, causing them to be on the bend of the bar. How did you fit them? I am finding that the bushes are being forced open by the bend of the bar and the D clamp holes won't line up. It is as though the bar is too short and needs to be about 3cm longer. It is the correct bar according to the code written on it.

Cheers,

Dave

MIA? In the army is he? Well, can anyone help with the fitting of the D clamps? I see other people have had difficulty fitting them. It is a bit like trying to squeeze on a pair of size 8 shoes when you are a size 10!!

Hi SK can you give me some advice please. I have just bought a Whiteline rear 22mm solid antiroll bar for my series1 rs4. I see from you picture that the link arms are forced out at an angle so that answers one question. The other is that my D clamps holes in the subframe are too far apart for the bar, causing them to be on the bend of the bar. How did you fit them? I am finding that the bushes are being forced open by the bend of the bar and the D clamp holes won't line up. It is as though the bar is too short and needs to be about 3cm longer. It is the correct bar according to the code written on it.

Cheers,

Dave

The new bar should be the same dimensions as the old bar except for diameter so if it is 30mm too short i would be returning it and asking for a new one. I believe the process by which they are made is not fully automated and there is room for operator error. Take some measurements and ring your supplier asking for a replacement. Mine fitted OK.

hey all,just purchased rear nismo coilovers(damper adjustable) from a r33 gtst.just went to install them,and the 2 holes for the bolts to go thro at the strut mounts are far too narrow,do i need to drill some new holes?thanks!

hey all,just purchased rear nismo coilovers(damper adjustable) from a r33 gtst.just went to install them,and the 2 holes for the bolts to go thro at the strut mounts are far too narrow,do i need to drill some new holes?thanks!
Would have thought GTST suspension not suitable for a wagon. Do the springs even fit inside the turret?

Can someone advise on what the BNF27 non-adjustable front swaybar is set too? As oppposed to the adjustable? Soft, medium or hard?

Thanks

The hole is pretty much on the end so i guess you could call that soft. If you haven't bought one yet you have to make a point of specifying 24mm otherwise you will probably be sent a 22mm one the same as you have already. I found it made little difference (as compared to the much heavier rear one which helped a lot). If you are going to buy a front one I would recommend you get a 24mm adjustable and set it to hard to start with. If you start getting understeer you can put it back to medium. Or if you haven't got one yet you could give it a miss and use the money for something else!

thanks kiwi.

I have been assured that it is the right one, so managed to squeeze it on. The D clamps did up ok in the end although they are right on the corner. The droplinks are splayed out at an angle which I don't think is very good as the bushes where it goes through the lower suspension arm are not square so have to be done up tight to take out the play. The bush which attaches the linkarm to the roll bar is also under more strain than I think is good too. It works ok and has stiffened up the rear but how long it will last before the bushes are stuffed and I have to put the original one back on I have no idea. The picture on about page 3 of this thread of SK's bar shows the droplinks at about the same angle as mine are

Edited by airbox

thanks kiwi.

I have been assured that it is the right one, so managed to squeeze it on. The D clamps did up ok in the end although they are right on the corner. The droplinks are splayed out at an angle which I don't think is very good as the bushes where it goes through the lower suspension arm are not square so have to be done up tight to take out the play. The bush which attaches the linkarm to the roll bar is also under more strain than I think is good too. It works ok and has stiffened up the rear but how long it will last before the bushes are stuffed and I have to put the original one back on I have no idea. The picture on about page 3 of this thread of SK's bar shows the droplinks at about the same angle as mine are

You've been sent a S13/R32 type rear sway bar not S14/R33 type!

S14/R33/R34 are wider Sway bar on rear! Different rear subframe/shocks to S13/R32.

Also springs rates and unsprung lengths for coilovers? Secured a set of DMS shocks to suit BNCR33 GTR!

Does anybody know the part number for bilstein shocks that go into the front of a S2 stagea RWD. And which model nissan match these shocks..Thanks for any help

I believe Rwd S2 are a strut type front end similar to S14.

Try to match up to that or S13/A31.

I think the mounting bolts are located different on s14,s15 strunts which make the car 2 inches lower.....Does anyone know what the bilstein part no. is for a S2 RWD

I think the mounting bolts are located different on s14,s15 strunts which make the car 2 inches lower.....Does anyone know what the bilstein part no. is for a S2 RWD

I've got a spare set of S14 one's here, if your keen to throw some measurements around?

Total length of strut, compressed length, top knuckle bolt to spring base(welded to strut) and knuckle bolt size(M12-14mm).

Coil over spring lengths???

Edited by RED513

I've got a spare set of S14 one's here, if your keen to throw some measurements around?

Total length of strut, compressed length, top knuckle bolt to spring base(welded to strut) and knuckle bolt size(M12-14mm).

Coil over spring lengths???

If they where the same the shock would have to be valved, looking for what the part number is for the bilstein replacement for a rwd stagea.....thanks though dude

Had a chance yesterday to put the Stagea up on the hoist for half an hour and have a look around. I will post up some pictures on Monday, I left the camera in the workshop. Some things I noticed;

The front shocks look to be the same as R33 GTR, as is the rest of the front suspension

The rear shocks look to be the same as R33 GTST (eye at the bottom)

No HICAS, yahooooo

The front stabiliser bar is 22 mm hollow, like an R33 GTR.

I am fitting a 24 mm Whiteline adjustable bar (Part #BNF27XZ)

The rear bar is 19 mm and solid, like an R33 GTS

I am fitting a 22 mm Whiteline adjustable bar (Part #BNR11XZ)

The front caster bushes are the same as R33 GTR, it definitely needs mores caster (it was getting the front end wanders at 170 kph)

I am fitting some Whiteline adjustable polyurethane bushes and adding about 2 degrees positive caster (part # KCA332).

Ours sits a little rear down (maybe carried stuff in the back a lot)

Has around 2 degrees negative camber, which is more than the standard adjusters can remove

So I am fitting some adjustable Whiteline bushes in the rear upper arms (Part #KCA347).

The front looks OK for camber, should have a little negative when I lower it.

I didn't remove the shocks to check the spring rates, I will do that when I remove them to swap to the Bilsteins. The front springs look to be a similar rate to R33GTR, the rears are different though. I will machine a couple of extra circlip grooves into the Bilsteins so I can lower it just enough.

Hope that is of some help :type:

Just to go back in time, did anything ever come of the swaybars for the NM35. was reading some old posts and thought I would like a set.