SAU Community

Stagea Suspension

Sydneykid

I'm considering doing exactly the same or find some lowered springs...

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to just get the standard springs in a RS4S "squashed" at a spring manufacturer to lower it? I've had it done before on a couple of my cars (HQ Premier and a VQ Statesman) and it worked fine. I don't go racing around the countryside like a Targa Tasmania driver or anything, I just want it to sit nice. I'm looking to go down 40mm front and 30mm rear. I realize I may need a shorter throw shock to keep the spring captive when going down those numbers. It's just been a cost effective solution in the past (about $40 per spring) and i've not seen anyone talk about it on here at all. Probably because everyone is after super handling. I'm not, I just drive it around but want to look nice while doing it. Some feedback would be great.

Thanks

Ben.

I'm considering doing exactly the same or find some lowered springs...

Lowered springs with the right spring rates are proving to be hard to find without paying out the arse for them.

i know the post is a little old but the c34 stagea is more like the r34 than the r33.

front is the same as r34gtr and the rear is the same as the r34gtt.

all other front bits are 34gtr and gtt for the rear.

front tie rod ends are the same as gtr as i have just replaced them thanks nissan $227 later = /

^^ thats a very general statement. C34 stagea? series 1 or 2? RS4? RS? RS4S? all of them vary alot as do the suspension componants that fit them.

RS4 is the all wheel drive model. the RS4 autos and manuals have different style rear shock too...... should have a read though the thread first.

RS4 (auto) has wider rear track and bottom of the rear shock has an eyelet. RS4-S and 260RS have the same suspension as an R33GTR (physically same, apart from the shock valving is to suit a much heavy car so i would say they have different rate springs also) and the rear shocks have a fork at the bottom.

bit of an update

dunno how many of you guys n girls are tearing your hair out trying to find lowering springs for your stag's... ive been looking into it for a while now for my missus car (1999 Auto RS4), finally bit the bullet and decided to get some after a bit of playing around and a few issues i think we have sussed it out.

Im a Mechanic @ Tokyo Motorsport and Ive been working with our local Pedders Suspension store in Cannington, (Perth) Western Australia for the last week trying to setup a decent set of springs that fit correctly...

Fronts:

Fronts is easy I fitted 33/34 GTR front springs and they are sweet cope with the weight awesome and most of that boat like feeling is gone from the steering.

Rear:

Rear Skyline srings are to wide to sit on the spring seats properly so i would advise not to try and fit them as it is not safe,

atm the new springs (From a different listed car) are fitted to the stag and im letting them settle before i try and explain what they are and how they look as we have been taking a few pics along the way... i will keep everyone posted over the next week as the springs settle so we can find out what the ride height ends up being and how the overall handling is.

If anyone else has had issues with the rear spring diameter not fitting the rear shocks id also like to know how you solved it :D

Cheers Trav

Edited by Travis_morris

^^^^

As above - the best solution - I didn't feel the need to machine extra groove in my Bilsteins as they provided enough range for my purposes (road and track) but if you want more adjustment its cheap and easy to machine more.

If you must change the springs there are a number of manufacturers making Stagea specific springs or springs that will fit eg Tein. Google will tell you your nearest Bilstein agent (what would Peddars know?!!)

So i went the cheap way , so i thought , got som zoom lowered springs from japan . Didnt put the bilsteins on , now i get thrown through the roof when i hit a bump .My question is , should i get bc coilovers , bilstein shocks with stock springs or keep the zoom lowered springs and put bilsteins on ? Im not sure if its the higher spring rate that Sydney KId spoke of with Japanese lowered springs or the fact that i havnt got the bilsteins to cope with the lowered spring . Like to hear any ideas because if i go the bilsteins i would like to use the new springs because the stock ones are 93000 km old .

Put the Bilsteins on and if the spring rates are too high put the stockers back on. Bilsteins will stop the ride from being to wallowy but rear sway bar at least will improve cornering,

Do you know what the spring rate is on the new springs?

If you know what they are we might be able to give you an idea but I suspect that Bilsteins with stock springs or BC's would be the go from here whatever works out the best value for you.

bounce though the roof? how low are these springs? and are you sure its not on the bumpstops? ive been in some seriously low cars (cant have a fuel tank of petrol in my vw cos it touches the ground) and the only one i get bounced outta my seat for is my mates liberty thats bumpstop'd HARD in the rear.

i believe theres a pic Sydney Kid put up about modifying his bumpstop the lower he set the car. Modification of the bumpstop is illegal just incase anyone is wondering not that most people care though.

This is what Sk said to someone else

They state 7/6 which is 7 kg / mm (390 lbs per inch) for the front and 6 kg / mm for the rear (335 lbs per inch). As a comparison, the standard Stagea fronts are 165 lbs per inch, so that's a 137% increase in spring rate. Usually for sporty road use I would be loooking for around 30% increase. I think I'll leave it at that, you can make your own judgement from the numbers:cheers:

and i think my rates are h8/9 , i would think my spring rates are way to high for a comfortable ride,,,,,,,,,,,would anyone be able to confirm that even if i put bilsteins in that my ride would be too firm,thanks