SAU Community

Help - water leak in my car

someonestolecc

Hellllllppp-

Went for a boost in the rain today and my car started taking on water. I don't mean a little I mean it's the ****ing titanic.

It seems to only come in when the car is going 60km-ish plus, so I can safely say it's not 'falling' in- rather going sideways somehow.

If you take off your footwell left plastic panel, there is a sponge of sound dampner in the big hole in the panel (underneath where your flare would go). It's coming in from in there somewhere and I can't figure out where. I thought it was in the wheelarch but I'm not so sure anymore.

Anyone who's been digging either behind their dash or inside their engine bay or stripped their car know of any holes or anything where the water could be coming in ?

I'd appreciate it very much for suggestions because this is REALLY giving me the shits - no skidpan days and no wet driving.. i mean wtf! :chop:

hmm...is it warm water? could be bad news....

well not too bad, just a pain in the arse....the heater box is right under the dash and has a feed of water from the block....check if you are loosing water....if so, dash out, new heater hoses in....and give yourself a couple of hours...

I will check thanks for the reply Duncan.

Only happens when driving in the wet though. It remains totally dry when it's not raining.

It also starts leaking only when going at speed and it's not warm water (infact if I stick my hand up in the gap between the car and the front quarter panel at the passenger footwell I can feel the water trickling onto my hand).

The radiator was full last time I looked - even thought I don't think this could be it I will check.

I just don't want to give it to a mechanic because it takes them hours to figure this sorta stuff out and thats a few hundred $ I just don't have.

can u get ur head in the footwell and get someone else with a very bright light to shine it from the outside of the car... see if u can see any light getting thru.... u will have to remove the kick panel... make sure u use a towl or blanket on the inside to cut out any outside light... ie... hang it down from the top of the dash so ur top half is covered.

know what i mean?

Has the car been converted from non-turbo to turbo??? Maybe the rubber plug that seals the wiring loom going into the LH front footwell is missing or broken?? Just a suggestion.

Has the car been converted from non-turbo to turbo??? Maybe the rubber plug that seals the wiring loom going into the LH front footwell is missing or broken?? Just a suggestion.

Actually yes, and yes that was already ****ed cos whoever put the loom in didn't have a clue - I put in a grommet and sealed it up with silicone, or so I thought I think I'm going to have to revisit that and see if it really is watertight (although I sprayed it with a hose and didn't get anything so I'm thinking that part is ok.)

Thanks for the suggestion i'm really hoping that's what it is.

Funnily enough it where the ECU loom goes in so the water conveniently goes in, down the loom and into the computer for some water n electrical mixing goodness.. Mmhmmhm!

Not good to hear.............i am sure in time you will sort out the several little fiddly problems you have been having with your new car.......

Did Meggala not notice any leaks when he was driving the car? Perhaps he will be able to shed some light on a few of the problems you are having...this one included.

Good luck

Update: I think all is good I've found it. It is infact the wheelarch grommet which I thought I'd plugged. I plugged 90% of it theres still a little bit on the inside I missed. I'm so very ****ing glad it is only that.

Does anyone know if there is a similar grommet/part on a silvia or something I can go get from a wrecking yard? (ie. that hole in the underside of the guard must be standard on the cef/sil/liner isn't it??)