SAU Community

need intercooler advice

linxus40

ok im looking at geting an intercooler made up for my R32 GTS-T which has the inlet and outlet on the same side next to the stock position as well as the pipes needed to hook it all up.

im hoping some of you guys have done this or at least had custom coolers made up. if so who did you use and would recomend and how much did it all cost? ill be putting it in myself so i just need the parts fabricated. oh yeah want the cooler to be able to hande 280-300 rwkw just in case i go crazy and get this car stupid fast.

any help would be great

Jason

Hi Jason,

I bought a blitz LM Type intercooler for my 32, which can support up to 600hp applications.

It came as a kit for $1,600 with all piping, hoses, clamps and brackets. Only took an hour or so to install. One of the pipes goes under the cooler and meets with the other one in the stock position.

Im my opinion this setup is good rather than the pipe going in the engine bay as its avoiding the engine heat. Although I don't think its makes much of a difference, it mainly comes down to personal prefference.

Hope that helps

Take it easy

Mark

Hi Jason,

I bought a blitz LM Type intercooler for my 32, which can support up to 600hp applications.

It came as a kit for $1,600 with all piping, hoses, clamps and brackets. Only took an hour or so to install.  One of the pipes goes under the cooler and meets with the other one in the stock position.

Im my opinion this setup is good rather than the pipe going in the engine bay as its avoiding the engine heat. Although I don't think its makes much of a difference, it mainly comes down to personal prefference.

Hope that helps

Take it easy

Mark

:werd:

ARC also make coolers that have the piping exiting on the passengers side, like stock, i think they even retain some of the factory piping in the engine bay.

nah i dont think you understand what im asking, ill draw an ascii picture see if it helps.

........................__

/........................__ Inlet

/....Intercooler...../

/......................./__

/........................___ Outlet

both pipes both same side so only need 2 small pipes to lock into the stock piping. dont want pipes going under the cooler or over the top, dosent look very nice imho.

so anyone done, seen, got a price for what im after?

You might find that a cooler like that would have a higher pressure drop than a conventional design because the air has to change direction within the cooler, rather than in a smooth return pipe.

nah i dont think you understand what im asking, ill draw an ascii picture see if it helps.

/........................__   Inlet

/....Intercooler...../

/........................___  Outlet

both pipes both same side so only need 2 small pipes to lock into the stock piping. dont want pipes going under the cooler or over the top, dosent look very nice imho.

so anyone done, seen, got a price for what im after?

You won't find many locally available or any jap ones like that cause their not very efficient and suffer from a high pressure drop (like Rhett said)

Hence why Trust, HKS, blitz, ARC and the rest don't make them.

/........................__   Inlet

/....Intercooler...../

/........................___  Outlet

Try AVO, they made these coolers for VL commodores. And AVO make good kits at reasonable prices based on the R33 kit i have seen on a few cars.

As for pressure drop, due to the number of runners it should be all good, hell Le Man cars run coolers very similer to what is proposed so i suspect the velocity of air isnt critical provided the end tanks arent nasty.

ARE was another one i was speaking to, but too much money on a custom jobbie, chaper to go with a readily available kit that still works well (that was my thinking anyway when it came time to hand over the dosh)

AVO... reasonable prices?? come on roy... u know those words dont belong together :)

$1300 for a bar and plate cooler and all the plumbing, joiners and clamps is reasonable. I dont think their parts are that bad, but i have heard tales re-servicing costs, though never used them myslef so cant really comment:(

cheapest intercooler kit i can find on there is 1400 which i spose isnt too bad... all the ones less than that are top mounts for rexes... of course they'll be cheaper cause theres like 3cm of piping lol

Yeah the Blitz LM and the ARC coolers have the exit and entry on the same side. I'm running the ARC one on my 34 and thats one of the main reasons I went for it.

InCoolLM1.jpg

Is this what you mean? I know you pic shows them on the same side but this is a very common desing and works well.

Try race radiators in Dande, you can get a good core for a good price there, and then you can get the end tanks modified to whatever you like.

Dont go for the intercooler as in your drawings as changing the direction of the air like that especially on a street driven car is not the best option. A lemans car as roy pointed out use em like you pic but a le-,ans cars is at 100% throttle when accerating all the time and prob uses antilag also.

Try race radiators in Dande, you can get a good core for a good price there, and then you can get the end tanks modified to whatever you like.

Dont go for the intercooler as in your drawings as changing the direction of the air like that especially on a street driven car is not the best option. A lemans car as roy pointed out use em like you pic but a le-,ans cars is at 100% throttle when accerating all the time and prob uses antilag also.

AVO and other companies like that usually buy core from places like race radiators and then stamp on their symbol on it and double the price :rant:

Yeah the Blitz LM and the ARC coolers have the exit and entry on the same side. I'm running the ARC one on my 34 and thats one of the main reasons I went for it.

havent really seen ones like that much but looking at it, it dosent look to bad, might have to investigate it.

tho i do wonder how doing a 180degree turn just after the cooler and doing it in the cooler is much different.

i would just chuck a U shaped pipe at the back to catch and redirect the air back through with a bottom and a top tank. tho pyhsics was never my strong point maybe there is something i dont see.