SAU Community

Wound back od-meter

HEL-RZA

Sometimes when you watch the odometer tick over, it looks like it's jammed then quickly flicks over.

Bushes are the best indication cause dodgy people don't change them, mainly the obvious like gearknobs, steering wheels and pedals with aftermarket stuff.

Well if it stops on the next thousand/10 thousand.. It usually means its been played with :P

We've had this happen to ours. One time it just stopped and didn't move for 400k's. So we took it to the mechanic and he fixed it and said it has been wound back a fair way. Every now and then it stops.. then it starts again :P

Clock winding is way too common. The drivers seat is a good indication as mentioned. Also the steering wheel and the gear knob, as they wear the most.

Ive seen TOO MANY imports with completely worn steering wheels and gear knobs, very worn trim etc, only to see 50 or 60 grand on the odo- and the dealers seriously expect us to believe they are genuine k's! Maybe they believe it themselves.. A car with 50,000 genuine ks should be practically new. This is considering many imports with 90,000 ks can still clean up pretty damn well.

Its a worry. Or you get a car in seemingly near new condition, that has a noisy timing belt indicating 100,000!!

Bottom line is too many dodgy operators. Apparently it happens in Japan, and not by people here when they land.

Guest zerorespect

it's always buggered me why every1 (nissan, honda, toyota, etc)hasn't gone to digital odometers - maybe controlled by a box marked with the chassis/vin number of the car to hamper swap overs...

Originally posted by zerorespect

it's always buggered me why every1 (nissan, honda, toyota, etc)hasn't gone to digital odometers - maybe controlled by a box marked with the chassis/vin number of the car to hamper swap overs...

Its so they can send them over here and make some $$ :)

Originally posted by summoner

even then a basic editor would probably allow them to edit the numbers more :)

and it'd be harder to actually tell that the "digital odo" had been wound back... no telltale signs :(

Mine's 93 with only 32,000km on the clock when I bought it... some of the numbers are not aligned which maybe coz it's been wound back prob in Japan or somewhere here. But all the interior trim, steering wheel, etc etc are in immaculate condition, so could it be that cars with original km still have numbers on the odo misaligned as well? The odo is runnin smoothly none of the above probs happen so far. I haven't check the suspension bushes thou, not sure how to look at them.

But I travelled a lot... 7 months ownership & now I've travelled 9000km in it....

Originally posted by rs73

Mine's 93 with only 32,000km on the clock when I bought it... some of the numbers are not aligned which maybe coz it's been wound back prob in Japan or somewhere here. But all the interior trim, steering wheel, etc etc are in immaculate condition, so could it be that cars with original km still have numbers on the odo misaligned as well? The odo is runnin smoothly none of the above probs happen so far. I haven't check the suspension bushes thou, not sure how to look at them.

But I travelled a lot... 7 months ownership & now I've travelled 9000km in it....

Mine was basically the same.. had 33000km on the clock and

everything was still sweet.. but definately the clocks been

played with cause I've had to change my clutch after 11000km..

But these engines are so robust... I've done 30,000 in 10 months

and this thing is a weekend driver...

It happens to so most imports i'd say... mate bought a 96 GTS25t skyline in immaculate condition.. showed 11,000km on the clock, seemed close to it aswell. His clutch died completely within a week of driving the car normally. We later saw the exact car on prestigemotorsport website after it was imported (with perth plates on it, rego sticker), saying 52000km. It was owned and driven around in perth for a while then sold to a dealer who my friend bought it off, so it would have been wound back here. No way a clutch on a totally dead stock r33 is going to fry itself to nothing within 11,000km of its life, unless it has been thrashed mighty hard since new, but since the car was stock you would doubt it.