SAU Community

HICAS removal bar fitting for R33

GTRgeoff

Too true mate, I aplologise to the members and request that all further posts be related directly to HICAS bar fitting, alternatives, problems and solutions.

hey jason, I have one of geoff's bars on order, and will need it fitted (no tools here in sydney :rofl: ) so does your $120 include the allignment?

on a side note, I got home tonight with my GTR blowing a lot of smoke as I pulled in the garage! the engine is only 1500km old, with 3 oil changes under its belt! and the turbos are new at the time also...... oh and low boost too! only .9 bar !!!

Im off to ring the builder in the morning, but I am seriously hoping it is something minor or there will be tears!

maybe a blocked PCV? :S:S:S

cheers, and thanks to geoff for taking the time to make these for us guys!!!

white smoke....

spoke to morgs and to SK today.... they think it is oil breathing into the intake pipes, and I have checked the pipes... yep laced with oil!

so I need a catch can!!! and now to clean the intercooler and associated piping ...

gcg catch tank??

Just to clarify some of the questions about R32 GTR....

To remove HICAS altogether.....buy one of Geoff's bars, and either....a new power steering pump with 1 output, or a bolt the right size to replace the rear line outlet.

Disconnect the 2 ball joints at the hubs, and then remove the 2 bolts holding the HICAS bar to the subframe. Be amazed at how heavy it is.

Disconnect the 2 lines from the chassis that go to the HICAS bar, there are a couple of brackets holding the lines to the subframe.

Disconnect the 2 lines right to the front of the car, right up at the HICAS solenoids next to the plenum.

Remove both inlet and outlet lines from the HICAS solenoid (these lines run back to the power steering pump and power steer reservoir. Unlpug the wires and remove the bracket. Enjoy how much easier it is to remove your oil filter.

Remove the rear line from the power steering pump, unbolt the brackets and cut the metal pipe as it links around the power steering lines underneath (unless the engine is out in which case it just lifts out :rofl:)

Remove the line that run from the HICAS solenoid to the cooler to the reservoir. Remove the whole cooler and all its brackets. Remove the other line that runs from the solenoid to the pipe you just cut.

Put a nice big bolt in a short piece of line to block the empty exit from the reservoir.

Clean up the power steering fluid that is all over your garage floor.

Like anything, double check to make sure you have the right pipes, esp before you start cutting! There will be only 2 power steer lines left in the engine bay, it will go from one of the reservoir outlets to the front of the power steer pump, around the engine bay to the steering rack, then back around the back of the engine bay and back to the reservoir.

Just to clarify some of the questions about R32 GTR....

To remove HICAS altogether.....buy one of Geoff's bars, and either....a new power steering pump with 1 output, or a bolt the right size to replace the rear line outlet.

Disconnect the 2 ball joints at the hubs, and then remove the 2 bolts holding the HICAS bar to the subframe.  Be amazed at how heavy it is.

Disconnect the 2 lines from the chassis that go to the HICAS bar, there are a couple of brackets holding the lines to the subframe.

Disconnect the 2 lines right to the front of the car, right up at the HICAS solenoids next to the plenum.

Remove both inlet and outlet lines from the HICAS solenoid (these lines run back to the power steering pump and power steer reservoir.  Unlpug the wires and remove the bracket.  Enjoy how much easier it is to remove your oil filter.

Remove the rear line from the power steering pump, unbolt the brackets and cut the metal pipe as it links around the power steering lines underneath (unless the engine is out in which case it just lifts out ;))

Remove the line that run from the HICAS solenoid to the cooler to the reservoir.  Remove the whole cooler and all its brackets.  Remove the other line that runs from the solenoid to the pipe you just cut.

Put a nice big bolt in a short piece of line to block the empty exit from the reservoir.

Clean up the power steering fluid that is all over your garage floor.

Like anything, double check to make sure you have the right pipes, esp before you start cutting!  There will be only 2 power steer lines left in the engine bay, it will go from one of the reservoir outlets to the front of the power steer pump, around the engine bay to the steering rack, then back around the back of the engine bay and back to the reservoir.

That's great, I think that's what I've been searching for. I have a R32 GTST. Is this a similar setup to the GTR? Also, can I use the original pump, or what is an alternative pump to use? To clarify, can I remove eveything bar what goes from the reservoir to the pump, to the rack and back to the reservoir? I have a couple of metal plugs to go with the 2 spacers and 2 domed nuts from the locking bar kit. Where do I use them?

Thanks

Mitch :P

Hi Duncan,

Have you gone through this process and have it running in your car? Is all OK without the extra line (that used to go to the HICAS solenoid) and without the cooler?

In my mind the extra line may have relieved pressure in the system - though I would prefer to listen to your advice as someone who has gone through the exercise!

Yes we;ve made the changes above and given the car a *very* thorough work out since. No problems with the car or power steering.

Our main concern was whether the pump will last with 1 outlet just blocked off...dunno...if it dies we will be replacing it with a 1 outlet pump like an r33.

I'm not sure if a 32 gtst is the same but I suspect it is

Is the R33 pump a direct replacement?

Which is the Hicas outlet on the R32 pump?

Thanks again

Mitch:)

I'm not sure but apparently so,

And the HICAS outlet is the rear one on the Power Steering pump. But for goodness sake before you start pulling it out...double check everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, blocked the rear outlet from the pump, and also the return to the reservoir.

Haven't yet swapped out the Hicas rack, but there is Power Steering fluid pissing all over from somewhere or other. I thought it was from the main return to the reservoir, so replaced it with a braided hose, but after taking it for a run out, there's an explosion of fluid all under the engine, hoses, suspension-everywhere.

Is there a possibility that the rear outlet being blocked is causing excess pressure in the system?