SAU Community

Antenna conversion

Col-GTSX

Hi B5URK,

There is an alternative to getting a new head unit, which is the FM modulators that change the frequencies.

Jaycar, Strathfield and any number of car audio places will sell you one that usually changes the range by some number (best to get the one that changes it by 20Mhz as then it makes sense ie. 101.9 becomes 81.9) and then everything else works OK. These converters use std australian aerial plugs though, so check what kind you have before you start.

Good luck

Ned

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
what to do if yours is cut off?

lol

i'd follow the cut wire until u find the next connecting point and replace it from there...

better than solderring it in my opinion. but i dunno if its a lot of trouble to do this. probably is actually :rofl:

Is this the same power wire that raises/lowers the antenna when the stereo is switched on? Or is there a separate wire for the signal booster?

make sure you connect the power-antenna output (usually the blue wire) to the black/red wire in the centre pin of the factory headunit plug. This powers the factory antenna signal booster.

There is another black/red wire next to it but it's a speaker wire.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Went in to my local Auto Barn shop and ask for a device to allow me to pick up 90+ Mhz range of radio station and they gave me this:

Aerpro FM Antenna Booster - AP342

On the back it says:

Amplified FM Antenna Booster in or under dash mouting.

Power Frequency gain 88Mhz > 10.5dB, 98Mhz > 10.9dB, 108Mhz > 9.5dB.

Can anyone (Chris Rogers??) confirm that this will allow the standard R33 radio to pick up aussie stations? I guess from reading this thread that I will need the antenna convertor too??

Thanks,

Justin.

• 1 month later...

Ok so i have bought the antenna conversion adapter from Autobahn and here's the thing, my car is different from y mates. EG the antenna adapter he bought is different from mine, should this be so? Once i sort this out can i remove the Jap antenna's from teh back of the car or do you ahve to leave them there?

• 1 month later...

Guys if anyone is looking for the antenna adaptors I currently have a couple of the Aerpro AP348A adaptors brand new. Bought two and didn't need them in the end. $12 will get you one delivered via Australia Post. PM me if you're keen. Vijay.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

i just got car a few weeks ago it said "alpine stereo" on the car add however when i took it for a test drive i didnt play with it to busy listeningfor all those little sounds like gears shocks bakes and so on. so now i am left with a japanese double din head unit with mini disc player, problem is not even the cd player works on it.....or the stacker in the boot alls i can get is christian FM...FULLY SIIIIIIIIIIIICCCK MATE!!!! i pic up all the chicks now

i think im going to rip it out this weekend and chuck it in my fire place, bye bye alpine its time to die!