SAU Community

Rezz's Japan Forum Q + A Thread

Rezz

I get alot of PM's asking some trivial things that really should be posted on the J-Forum so others can benefit from the info (and in turn save me from answering the same question 15 times! :().

eg: "Hey Rezz, how do you say **** in Japanese?"

So the rules are simple: 1 question from each member... and 1 answer from me!

No whoring, I'll just delete any posts that aren't questions or answers to those questions.

**Btw, those that can, feel free to correct me :) or add anything that might answer the question better. Thanks.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rezz:

What does Rezz mean?

It's short for 'Rezzin' or the uncool spelling version 'Resin'. A long time ago when I was a wee 15 year old, I was cutting some (insert illegal flora here) with some scissors and it was very sticky. I didn't know what the sticky stuff was until one of my friends - after rolling about the floor laughing - told me what is was. After much verbal abuse recalling that event the name stuck for some years. I use it now as a middle finger salute to the guy who made it up.

Is it true japan has used pantie vending machines?

Yes... well there were Used Panty vending machines. The story goes that in a 'Pink Business' (read: Red Light) district in Yokohama, before the days of internet auctions, business owners stocked a few vending machines with used panties because customers were too embarrassed to ask for their 'presents' over the counter (well... who wouldn't???). They didn't last very long... local authorities cracked down on the machines and all that remains are one or two about Tokyo... below is a pic of one machine taken in 2002... it's not there anymore.

Yes... well there were Used Panty vending machines. The story goes that in a 'Pink Business' (read: Red Light) district in Yokohama, before the days of internet auctions, business owners stocked a few vending machines with used panties because customers were too embarrassed to ask for their 'presents' over the counter (well... who wouldn't???). They didn't last very long... local authorities cracked down on the machines and all that remains are one or two about Tokyo... below is a pic of one machine taken in 2002... it's not there anymore.

To add to what Rezz said, originally they were schoolgirl panties. The H.S. girls used to make a bit of money on the side selling them to the second-hand shops for resale.

HOWEVER

They soon worked out that they didn't even have to wear the panties in order to sell them to to the shops, and instead, some of more enterprising ones started mass-producing used school girl panties. All they did was purchase panties from the 100 yen shop, smear a bit of yoghurt on the crotch and leave them in the sun for a day.

IG

How popular are the Beer vending machines in Japan. Are they everywhere & do business men get drunk at any time of the day off them?

There are many, many, many beer vending machines around, although I wouldn't say they are in as many locations as softdrink vending machines. Japanese society is quite different to Western society (as you probably already know), so it's quite rare to see Japanese people getting drunk sitting in front of beer vending machines... in fact I'd go as far as to say that it'd be easier to see a foreigner (Niiiiick! wink, wink) getting drunk beside a beer machine.

I did see one Japanese guy... he looked unemployed... sitting quietly near a beer machine having a beer. But that was it, he wasn't legless or anything. Yes, definte testimony to the differences in social behaviour.

There are many, many, many beer vending machines around, although I wouldn't say they are in as many locations as softdrink vending machines. Japanese society is quite different to Western society (as you probably already know), so it's quite rare to see Japanese people getting drunk sitting in front of beer vending machines.

At the end of 2003, there were 4.57 million vending machine in Japan (pop 125 million approx), nearly all of which are drink or cigarette dispensers. Machines selling food or anything else aren't common.

Drinking during working hours is strictly prohibited, mainly due to the insurance laws and the zero tollerance for drink driving (well . . . officially anyway). It is very common to see drunk salarymen after work on the trains on any night of the week. Drinking Beer, Happoushu (cheap low malt beer designed to get around tax laws), Chu-hi (rice alcohol with a fruit flavouring, think alcopop), and Sake (One-Cup Ozeki is the preferred brand among salarymen) is very common on the trains.

The age that you can legally buy alcohol and cigarettes in Japan is 20, which makes it interesting if you have booze and cigarette vending machines on every corner. . . . . Sometime in 2005, a law will come into effect requiring the machines to conduct some sort of age verification before selling these products (probably by scanning the customers drivers license).

IG

Hows it goin Rezz?

I have decided to move to Sapporo next year to live for a couple years and I have a few questions that you might or might not be able to help me with. I am half Japanese and have been and worked in Japan before mainly in hospitality ie bars and restaurants. This time round however I am considering teaching English which I have no experience at but I hear is very enjoyable and would like to give it a go part time. Was just wondering about your thoughts on teaching English, what you have heard from other Aussies teaching over there and if it is difficult?

Also, I have many friends over there who own restaurants both Japanese and Westerners who have asked me to bring Aussie wine over for them, I was interested in exporting a variety of Australian wines in fairly decent quatities to sell to various restaurants around Sapporo. I can get the wine quite cheap but the logistics is something I dont know about eg export and associated costs, I need to research into it a little more but thought that I would ask you first if you would know anything about it ie costs, laws or even contacts that may be of use to me.

Lastly, what do you do with yourself over there?

Thanks for your time, any response would be appreciated.

Michael :)

Micheal: will answer your question asap... I've gotta go to work now :)

Ok, first of all, teaching in Japan is quite easy (the actual teaching part) especially if you're teaching kids. I think the long-term mental strain of having to be 'genki' (lively, happy) day-in, day-out is more of an issue. Of course, some people excel at being genki, so for them teaching in Japan is a walk in the park. As you'd only be teching part time, you shouldn't hve a problem. Most other teachers like teaching... they say it's easy money, although some can't stand children or repeating themselves endlessly.

About the wine... sorry I don't have any experience importing perishables. Anybody?

As for me, I teach at an English School in Osaka, I also do 'other stuff'... everybody will find out what that is next month.

Question: are the other 'authorities' allowed to answer in this thread, or is this one of those 'rezz only' things? (as the name of the thread might imply)

well, I'm going to give 2c anyway

Michael - the english teaching thing has been discussed a zillion times and there are a lot of very informative threads - try reading those if you haven't already. Secondly, there is quite a lot of Australian wine on the shelves here now - I live out 'in the sticks' and I can find it at nearly every liquor shop, and in many restaurants. Might be hard to find a worthwhile niche for that particular product. Of course it's do-able, just not sure how profitable it would be. I've heard that importing things (via official channels) is also quite a pain in the arse.

Question: are the other 'authorities' allowed to answer in this thread, or is this one of those 'rezz only' things? (as the name of the thread might imply)

Knock yourself out...

Having said that though, I can't stand it when guys jump in and answer questions that are obviously directed t me :(

what does the constant beeping, almost doorbell like mean at the train stations ? its very annoying....

In Kansai, it's an alert that the train is coming... or just prior to an announcement.