SAU Community

HELP!! GTR vs WRX

I need help! Having already had a modified 98 wrx, im looking at getting a new hobby car! what i want to know is WHY i should fork out $80,000+ for a 99-00 R34(which has around 260kws atw), when I could get a 03-05 WRX STI spend a little on it, and have a car that will blow away a gtr, and for less $$$ ? Im not trying to start an argument, i love the R34, but im finding it hard to justify!!!! could someone with a little knowledge of BOTH cars, please help me out. (plus, I need to convince the wife!!!)

Thanks guys!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because its an r34, the king of them all...

still rare so costs are still high. Also there will be the pleasure of owning one of the best cars ever to be produced...its an affordable supercar when compared to lambo's and ferrari and porsche

u can always go an r33gtr if you dont want to go wrx again...or an s15?

hope your choice brings rewards

There is simply no sales of Sti in japan, subaru makes their sales because of australia and honk kong... Subaru is not a save car compared to an r34..

the r34 is a much stronger car compared to sti. subaru's gear box and bottom end is as bulletproof as a coke's can...

GET THE GTR....

Subaru never once win JGTC championship in japan... look at the gtr... it's more reliable..

and look at targa tassie... how many wrx made it to top3? it's either GTR, porshes... see the fact... i have dreamt of wrx too, but when i test driven one, it's just a bag of shit...there is simply not enough top end power, while the gtr keeps pullin and pullin.... there is no way STI can keep up with the mighty GTR with same amount of money spent...

I need help! Having already had a modified 98 wrx, im looking at getting a new hobby car! what i want to know is WHY i should fork out $80,000+ for a 99-00 R34(which has around 260kws atw), when I could get a 03-05 WRX STI spend a little on it, and have a car that will blow away a gtr, and for less $$$ ? Im not trying to start an argument, i love the R34, but im finding it hard to justify!!!! could someone with a little knowledge of BOTH cars, please help me out. (plus, I need to convince the wife!!!)

Thanks guys!

in reference to the STi, what is your definition of "spend a little on it" ??? ie. could you tell us specifically what mods you were planning on getting such that it would "blow away a gtr" ???

were you planning to drop in a USDM STi 2.5 litre block in for starters?

i know abit about a scooby's. my first car was a 98 WRX with a fair few bolt-ons. talk to me :(

franks; I mean the price difference between the two is sooo great. if i got a second hand 03, with some work ie http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!c...rch_distance=25

thats 600hp, for $63,000

I would still have change from the $80,000 i would spend on the GTR,then i could spend the $17,000 diference on more upgrades! like maby some nos etc!!!

to the others that replied, once again; IM NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUMENT, I LOVE BOTH CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please dont start quoting one sided facts and figures at me "Subaru never once win JGTC championship in japan" because (and i could be wrong, it might have been beaten by now) but didnt a WRX (maby the HKS) absolutly demolish the record for drifting? and in relation to"Subaru never once win JGTC championship in japan" whe did you see a gtr beat a wrx in the WRC? its all wheel drive....so where is it???? SEE, you can throw these points back and forth all year, and still not get anywhere!

once again, i could be wrong (probably am)

but if the gtr weighs 1560kgs and the wrx is 1217kgs, and both are 206kws, then wouldnt the wrx win on kws/kg?

gtr=0.132 kws/kg @ 206kws

wrx=0.169 kws/kg @206kws

and if you take into account that the 206 of the gtr is understated and it really is 260kws (arguable), then

gtr=0.166 kws/kg

wrx=0.169 kws/kg

then ther is the 1/4 mile...in stock form the gtr is said to do it in 14sec's and the sti in 13.5, now thats half a second faster for a car that NEW will cost $55k, compared to a second hand gtr at $80k

lets not sit here arguing, i need help in buying my next car. i need facts, i just need a good reason to buy the gtr over the wrx!

dont believe anything you see on paper... my GTT also makes 206kw stock too hahaha.. but trust me when i say this isnt true lol..

also you cant compare a modified car to a stock car

how much is spending a little? there are alot of cars where you can spend some money on it and it will still cost less and be faster than a stock GTR

HOWEVER..

there is a reason why it is a GTR and so many ppl dream about it even if may not be the fastest thing in the world =)

i think if all your looking for is straight line power... you can make anything fast.

get a gts-t and put a aircraft turbine on it and 6 superchargers to spool it up and you can fly to the moon for less than 80 Gees.

but for circuit work, i think ( if someone could drop some knowledge on me with some figures )

i dont think the wrx comes close. with the 34s smicko chassis ballance and stiffness and as well as atessa ets-pro your can get allllllllll your power to the ground with MASSSSIVE corner exit speed, and i mean a worked RB26 has noooooo trouble rippin it up on the straits too.

where as isnt the WRX a pretty big understeerer ? ( never taken one to track so could be wrong )

i just think that youve got alot more potential for an awesome all round car with the GTR, track, drags... if your keen to put in ETS control then even drift if ur crazy :)

on the JGTC question, the guys are right.. dont thin Fuji Heavy Industries did to well in the JGTC 300 and 500 classes :(

i wouldnt bother much with trying to put the GTR in WRC Events. Its dicey to see what cars LIVE throug a whole round... if gronholm ever finishes with his gearbox in tackt in the 407 then its a surprise ! ahaha. but isnt WRC a pretty huge part down to the driver as well.. like as long as the cars reliable and has got ok power.. tire choice, driver and co-driver... and actually keeping it out of the trees seems to be the more important bit :)

but thats my dealio. its not even a question for me as to what i would buy. GTRRRR

The STi's are pretty cool, the other little bit of a turn off is that EVERY stooge has a wrx ( i know not that many stis but even in bathurst old ladys drive turbz wrxes )

GTRs have a pretty special feel too, cant say wat ! haha its jsut nice ! and a 34 mmmmmm so hot !

haha the funniest thing was then i saw an old lady in town ( like 80 ) and she was in this HOT ! S15 ! and i was like sheeeeeet. i though was going to like race me at the lights !!!

whoops ok thats my bit, so now all thats left to ask is, when are you getting your R34 ?? :)

unless u got a mill and a bit lyin round, then go get a carerra GT3 and call me up and well do some damage !!!!

Both cars rock,but for their respective worlds.The WRX was born from the rally scene,the GTR from Group A and JGTC racing.Once's a rally car dumbed down for the road,the other a race car,once again watered down for the masses.As already said,spend money on anything,and it'll be faster.Jeez,spend a coupla hundred thou' on a new 360 Modena,and it'd whoop ass...it's all relative!I guess it depends on where you do your driving,and why you want to power it up.The Wrexxy you're looking at is drool worthy:check SPEED mag' 017 issue:same model car,here in Aus'.Put a stock Rex against a stock R34 GTR,or an STi against a V-Spec(or even an S20-SC up against a N1 Spec)and I'd put the money on the Rex,JUST,around a city in the cut'n'thrust daily driving.ANY other situation,the GTR will do as it's makers intended and simply dissappear into the sunset.I've driven earlier models of each(MY98,00)and the R32 around town,out on the open roads and around Wakefield Park(sadly,haven't driven Phillip Island or the Creek...yet).I sprung for the better car for me and my driving:Nissan's finest.I'd imagine the same outcome if I were to drive the cars you're looking at.If you're looking at adding "NAWS" to an already heavily modified car,I'd assume you're an acceleration freak that likes dragging...save all your money and get a built RX-3 that'll run 9's or better all day,LOL!If you want one of the best driver's cars the world has ever bothered to hand a trophy to,the GTR gets the nod.Am I biased?Slightly,but I love all well executed vehicles.ANd an S20-SC is [/i]very desireable.It's just not the car that the Nissan is.I think you'd better ask yourself again,and NOT try to convince the wife,which car is for you and your driving needs...I don't think it's down to the dollars spent!

franks;  

once again, i could be wrong (probably am)

but if the gtr weighs 1560kgs and the wrx is 1217kgs, and both are 206kws, then wouldnt the wrx win on kws/kg?

gtr=0.132 kws/kg @ 206kws

wrx=0.169 kws/kg @206kws

and if you take into account that the 206 of the gtr is understated and it really is 260kws (arguable), then

gtr=0.166 kws/kg

wrx=0.169 kws/kg

Subaru quotes an STI being alot more than 1217kgs

and the kws is only 195

http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza/speci....asp?item=23447

There is simply no sales of Sti in japan, subaru makes their sales because of australia and honk kong... Subaru is not a save car compared to an r34..

the r34 is a much stronger car compared to sti. subaru's gear box and bottom end is as bulletproof as a coke's can...

GET THE GTR....

Subaru never once win JGTC championship in japan... look at the gtr... it's more reliable..

and look at targa tassie... how many wrx made it to top3? it's either GTR, porshes... see the fact... i have dreamt of wrx too, but when i test driven one, it's just a bag of shit...there is simply not enough top end power, while the gtr keeps pullin and pullin.... there is no way STI can keep up with the mighty GTR with same amount of money spent...

Targa Tasmania 04 Winner...Tony Sullens driving 02 WRX STi 202 The engine was done by Michael South and Tony Sullens, the cams were degreed in and apart

from that it is STD. The power band is very narrow thanks to the very small exhaust, peak power was near 240kw @ the hubs and at 5400rpm, torque was near 500 Nm.

THE COMPETITION

Jim Richards car has 390 kw ATW, it is a turbo 2wd GT2.

There are near on 50 of these in GT2's and 3's, there are almost as many

GTR's, R32's, 33's and 34's that run in Targa as well as the odd Monaro, Torana and Walkinshaw.

Hmmmm Ian

for me, GTR! all the way, no comprimise, for me the subaru would be second best

I'm just lucky enough to have bought an 89 R32 with a few bits and peices. but man If I had that much money R34 all the way

see the review in one of the older SPEED magazines, R34 VS WRX STI VS EVO VII all with light mods.

the AWD Evo and WRX held on better on the twisty's but hit a straight section and the blistering acceleration of the GTR killed them both.

I have nothing against subaru, I love them. but have you considered an Evo man? that would be my next choice after the GTR.

mark :)

then ther is the 1/4 mile...in stock form the gtr is said to do it in 14sec's and the sti in 13.5, now thats half a second faster

Umm, I'm pretty sure the R34 GTR is in the 12's as stock. Maybe you mixed up the specs with the R34 GTT (single turbo car). The R33 GTS-t does the 1/4 in the mid/high 14's stock.

full-boost, come along to the WRX club twilight sprint at Calder on the 5th Feb, we'll be out having a go and enjoying their hospitality. One of the guys has a GTR34 as well for your enjoyment.

I have to say that the WRX STi is a pretty good car now, after a lot of the niggling problems have been sorted, but the difference between STi and GTR at Phillip Island is between 6 - 10 seconds a lap. There will be some quick rexies out at Calder so you should see some great competition and make a real comparison rather than street talk.

As an example I run about 2 seconds a lap slower on standard rubber than a WRX STi on semi-comps in my GTS25t, or did before new suspension. My old stuff was leaking and stock, but lowered so I expect to pick up another 3-5 seconds a lap at PI. On semi-comps I pick up another 5 seconds a lap.

Feel free to contact me for more details.

But hang on, as for latest spec STI v R34 GTR VSpec II...you only have to look at the lap times of Tony (Black STI) v Snowman and crew.

Tony was quicker then Emre, Chris, Andrew etc at Sandown and i think he was a seconds or 2 slower at PI, i suppose the way the GTRs haul down the straight at PI give them an edge.

Sure his car is tweaked but its only the same type of mods as the GTR boys, he uses the std turbo with plenty of good susp/brake mods and engine bolt ons...just like the GTR guys.

And using the GTRs results in the JGTCC isnt quite right. Sure sight the Grp A results, but JGTCC are sports sedans for gods sake. The JGTCC GTR wasnt even 4wd and in its last season didnt even use the RB26.

Someone also wrote of the WRX in Targa results, lol sadly im still waiting for a GTR to win, but guess what a WRX has already one it beating all those GT2/3 and GTRs.

Id prefer the R34 myslef, i dont liek WRXa ...but thats not to say that there arent WRXs that can get the job done, and like your comment... probably for less money.

Anyway, to me its more a matter of what floats your boat, for me the R34 woudl be the go, but the fact that i cant afford wither car your talkign about ill stick with my GTST:(