SAU Community

HELP!! GTR vs WRX

Aren't they built for different things? the WRX for rally and the GTR for circuit?

From my experience the STI's are good on very tight corners/hairpins etc, no long straights, but as soon as there are some more average corners and long sweepers, with some straights thats where the GTR comes into its own

Theres a guy with a 04 black WRX, can't remember if its STI tho? has it stripped out and a roll cage in it etc.. few little mods i think... does sprints every weekend so has some idea of how to steer, me, scottsmen, snowman were at phillip island track with him one weekend, Scottsmen (R33 GTR, stock suspension setup, with semi slicks (wrx had semis as well), and basic mods, exaust etc..) and Snowman(R34 GTR) basic mods, we running times a 2-4 seconds quicker than him... the GTR's weren't stripped out at all, they were full daily drivable... the WRX was trailered there... thats just an example i know of...

Another one is RacePace's R33 GTR... that thing drives to sandown on the road, semi slicks etc... runs 1.15's around sandown (quick enough to be back of the pack with the v8 supercars) not stripped out at all and then drives back.... I'd like to see a WRX do that ...

What do you actually want the car for? 1/4 mile? circuit? street?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on. Isn't it a dedicated trailered track car, fully stripped out interior with cage etc. not to mention an aggressive front splitter that I won't go into detail on the benefits of. Shows what can be done with the Rex. Scotsman though was stock on tired suspension with just a boost bleed and was going way faster than the stockish STi's that came along with Crazy Frank.

The WRX that won in Targa came second to a GTR that was disqualified for an intercooler waterspray, in the wettest conditions for years. The rex has clearly been the wet weather performer for years thoguh in Targa.

Both good, but this is a skyline forum.

I'll add 1 final point. Ben in his R33GTR was lapping at 1:16 at Sandown on semi-comps. Lowndes V8 SC record in qualifying is 1:10 on slicks. WRX's are in the mid 20's. Now that is a measure of GTR potential.

That Black WRX is the one i was talkign about. Was it 2-4 seconds? At Sandown he was quicker!

Someone else hit the nail on the head....GTR has more potential, but that doesnt count for anything if you dont have the coin to expolit the potential. Thats said as a std road car that goes to the track they are a great thing....i guess if my old GTST blows away some new STIs at Sandown in 2 weeks i may change my mind:)

There is also a blue 2 dr STI getting around Wakefield that is quicker then the SSS R32 GTR which runs a genuine Gibson Motorpsort RB26 with all the brakes/susp/tyre work:whackit: So if you start with a good enough package then money spent will always make quick.

Hang on. Isn't it a dedicated trailered track car, fully stripped out interior with cage etc. not to mention an aggressive front splitter that I won't go into detail on the benefits of. Shows what can be done with the Rex.

LOL...stripped out interior take 35 - 90mins before a track day and look at my car, it doenst make it a dedicated track car:)

So if he drove it to the track (which looking at it there is no reason why he couldnt, its a matter of chosing to trailer it which to me makes sense) and pout the interior back in, which would weigh about 20kgs then how much slower do you think it would be. The one hting i forgot was the cage, that would make a hell of a difference, and i suppose stripping the interior helps coutner the added weight.

Wheres my lift? I cant carry all thsi crap on the train:(

after hanging around some guys from rexnet, MC racing and TRP ive seen wat WRXs can do and wat they cant do.

you get a WRX and you wanna make it really haul you need to do a 2.5 with big turbo. no other way about it.

even then you will run 11's IF its done right and you have the gearbox and suspension sorted.

ive seen this many times and in full street trim Brian from MC racing (aka MR WRX,MR CRX etc etc) has spent close to 100K on his MY03 and it runs 10.9

after about 200KW@W your WRXs gearbox will be smashed to bits if you drive it hard.

you can get a GTR with standard turbos to run 11s.

if you want info on WRXs go to www.rexnet.com.au there is shit loads of good info and advice on there.

oh and BTW even these STi owners wanna own a GTR one day :)

No doubting the rex is good, but the GTR is ultimately better. Depends on individual preference and money.

my point on the trailer is that if you aren't relying on driving it home, you will punt it a lot harder with confidence.

If you want a lift you have to ring and ask.........

Everyone is making the comment about how the STis break gearboxes and how they understeer like cops....

Just wanting to clarify....The new STi 6 speed boxes are a shitload stronger than that of the older 5spds, apparently they're rated to something like 500-550hp. Additionally, the new DCCD function for the STi helps eliminate MOST of the understeer. A little understeer is good though imo.

I'm the current owner of a 32 GTR and I'm trying to offload this car so I can move to the "darkside". I've only briefly driven the new MY05 STi and I have to say that it is a really really mint car. Although, the only problem I had with it was the fact that the torque would taper off in the higher part of the rev range. BUT, MRT performance (just using company for an example) have an article about bolt ons on these cars. Basically, just with a re-tune the torque no longer tapers off, instead becomes very linear. Add this to an exhaust, filter and 1.5psi increase in boost and you see about 240kw at the hubs. Enough for a low 12....

Now as it seems many people who have commented are in favour of the GTRs straight line speed (i.e does 11s with bolt ons etc), but low 12s in a NEW car which you can drive every day and hits full boost at around 3400rpm is enough in my books....

To sum up...it all just depends on what you really want. If you just want to go fast, and thats ALL you want to do with the car and your not worried about full boost until 5 grand, and the age of the vehicle doesnt phase you (34 GTR is still 5-6yrs old...) then go and buy a GTR, but if you want a new car that you will be happy as driving to work but still does low 12s on the weekend, then go for the STi.

Each to their own....

I need help! Having already had a modified 98 wrx, im looking at getting a new hobby car! what i want to know is WHY i should fork out $80,000+ for a 99-00 R34(which has around 260kws atw), when I could get a 03-05 WRX STI spend a little on it, and have a car that will blow away a gtr, and for less $$$ ? Im not trying to start an argument, i love the R34, but im finding it hard to justify!!!! could someone with a little knowledge of BOTH cars, please help me out. (plus, I need to convince the wife!!!)

Thanks guys!

Allow me to first state that im not trying to diss you or someting. But i dare state that from your above statement, despite having owned a 98 WRX, u appear to be pretty naive when it comes to the world of performance cars. Both cars are different and appeal to slightly different markets, and also come in slightly different price brackets. So your arguement that because the wrx is cheaper, you can spend more on mods and make it quicker than a gtr, does not hold, because if thats the case, i would advise you to purchase a hyundai accent and spend 50k on it, i will gurantee u it will smoke everyting on the road....F50s included. But in the end, its still a Hyundai. And subconciously part of you contemplates the idea of an R34 simply because u LIKE it, and liking something may or may not always be a logical decision. If u look at lambos...they are pretty much the most impractical car. But pple still buy them cos they LIKE them.

So your question poised above is very similar to a 13 yr old asking which car is better....or to put in a similar analogy...where one should pick the slim ****ty chick as his bride, compared to a plum country girl with a good heart. It boils down to personal choice and no one attribute should be a reason for you to decide for either, neither can anyone here make this decision for you because only you know what truely makes you happie.

Cheers

Someone's already mentioned this before, you must test drive before you buy!

But you're looking at STI's and R34 GTR's...good luck !

As far as R34's go, i would test drive a R32 and just think, newer car with more bling.

But what would i know, i've never even sat in a R32 GTR... boohoo :)

(just as well, i'd probably leave a stain)

When i bought my car (R33 GTS-T), i test drove that, a 300ZX twin turbo and even an FTO.

They were all on the list and i had to find out for myself which i liked better.

I love my car!!!!! and don't regret the decision at all !

You can't spend enough time researching b4 you decide (which is what your doing know i guess, so good on ya :) )

...ps, i also reckon the Celica GT4's rock !

(hmmmmmm, and never been in one of them either)

I wish they were still doing the rally circuit so we could at least see some more car brands instead of a whole 3 is it???

franks; I mean the price difference between the two is sooo great. if i got a second hand 03, with some work ie http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!c...rch_distance=25  

thats 600hp, for $63,000

I would still have change from the $80,000 i would spend on the GTR,then i could spend the $17,000 diference on more upgrades! like maby some nos etc!!!

point taken.

i *think* 600hp is a WRX limit, whereas in a GTR life has only just begun :cheers:

i would also dare say, if anyone is struggling to buy a car then they really can't afford it. buy comfortably because a performance car needs a sh!tload of a aftersales attention :)

good luck, both are great cars. imho, if i could afford a R34 GTR id have one.

I have both a gtr ( r33 ) and an sti (02 ) and have owned several more wrx's and i have an r34 gtr m-spec waiting for a ship in Osaka .

The 2 cars you are looking at , are totaly different cars , you are looking at a wrx sti ( new $60 k ) and a R34 gtr ( if it was sold here new it would be $120K + )

You can't realy compare the 2 cars , you may want to compare the sti with an evo ( same price bracket ) .

So its your budget and taste in what you want to buy , personaly i like them both .

As to which one is quicker well in stock form there is not much in it maybe 1-2 tenths of a second in 1/4 mile times in favour of the gtr .

As for claimed power ( remember claimed power by the makers ) sti 195 kw ( aussie spec ) gtr 206 kw 9 Gtr has more like 230-240 kw .

Weight , again not much in it now that the rexy has put on the beef ( the six speeder is now close to 100 kg the old 5 speed was only 50 ) sti around 1450 kg and gtr 1550 kg .

When it comes to driving the 2 cars on the road ( stock ) the gtr feels more lively has more power down low and you can pot around off boost easy , no need to change down as much as sti , sti seems to have a narrow power band .

Now if you want to get them going a bit quicker again the gtr is easy to get moded . My r33 gtr has the factory stock n1 turbos , ebc ( 1.2 bar boost ) and a tuned power f/c everything else is stock including stock airbox . It has run 11.7 1/4 @wsid @121 mph , try that in the sti !!!

To give you an indication we had a 00 sti ( much lighter than 02 at around 1250 kg) with a vf34 turbo , tuned power f/c and ebc 1.2 bar boost everything else stock and it was good for 12.6 @ 111 mph .

As for handling in stock form the gtr feels more firm on the road ( much less body roll ) and more neutral feel going around corners . It will outhanle the rex everywhere but in very tight corners , gtr is much bigger car . The sti will go very quick as well but with much more bodyroll and understeer .

Now to your arguement , why pay 80k for r34 when you get an sti for 60 , why not buy a wrx ( not sti ) new for 42 k and put in a 2.5 engine from the states and make it as quick or quicker than the sti ?

Its your choice you could even go for the falcon turbo , you can get one for low 30's ( second hand ) or at the other end maybe a porsche or even an m3, its your budget and your taste , i like all high performance cars .

Both cars are durable if well maintaned and kept in stock form and yes the 6 speed box in the post 02 sti's is much stronger that the old 5 speeder .

I have seen plenty 5 speeders bust 2nd gear but i havent busted one myself in all the rexes i have owned , maybe i drive them to easy i dont know but i'm not scared to drop the clutch at say 7000 rpm in either the rex or the gtr .

I need help! Having already had a modified 98 wrx, im looking at getting a new hobby car! what i want to know is WHY i should fork out $80,000+ for a 99-00 R34(which has around 260kws atw), when I could get a 03-05 WRX STI spend a little on it, and have a car that will blow away a gtr, and for less $$$ ? Im not trying to start an argument, i love the R34, but im finding it hard to justify!!!! could someone with a little knowledge of BOTH cars, please help me out. (plus, I need to convince the wife!!!)

Thanks guys!

Now as it seems many people who have commented are in favour of the GTRs straight line speed (i.e does 11s with bolt ons etc), but low 12s in a NEW car which you can drive every day and hits full boost at around 3400rpm is enough in my books....

To sum up...it all just depends on what you really want. If you just want to go fast, and thats ALL you want to do with the car and your not worried about full boost until 5 grand, and the age of the vehicle doesnt phase you (34 GTR is still 5-6yrs old...) then go and buy a GTR, but if you want a new car that you will be happy as driving to work but still does low 12s on the weekend, then go for the STi.  

Each to their own....

I drive my R33 GTR everyday etc... it hits full boost WELL before the 5grand you're talking about, its actually on full boost very close to the 3400rpm you are talking about from the WRX, well before 4000rpm anyway, that and it revs out further than the WRX.. It runs low 12's, maybe a high 11 if someone who could drive took it down the strip, so the only difference between my GTR and the WRX you want is mine will be worth more in a few years :cheers: haha naa you do get the warrenty and the new car etc... and i do agree with where you are coming from, WRX would be a better daily driver, but its alot closer to the top end of its performance than my GTR is, yet they will both perform the same functions, and i think my GTR would be quicker on the strip, track and road than the WRX you're talking about.

There is simply no sales of Sti in japan, subaru makes their sales because of australia and honk kong... Subaru is not a save car compared to an r34..

the r34 is a much stronger car compared to sti. subaru's gear box and bottom end is as bulletproof as a coke's can...

GET THE GTR....

Subaru never once win JGTC championship in japan... look at the gtr... it's more reliable..

and look at targa tassie... how many wrx made it to top3? it's either GTR, porshes... see the fact... i have dreamt of wrx too, but when i test driven one, it's just a bag of shit...there is simply not enough top end power, while the gtr keeps pullin and pullin.... there is no way STI can keep up with the mighty GTR with same amount of money spent...

dude, sorry to tell you, but a WRX won targa tassie last year!

I'm in a similar boat myself, with a 205awkw bugeye rexy, looking at trading up to the 05 STi or an R33/R34.

Here are a couple of things I've noticed, and wouldn't mind a response from some of the guys who have actually driven both cars:

1. Sound: I love the boxer rumble, what are the distinctive characteristics of a gtr at full noise (from the cabin?)

2. Street: I like the puntability (is that a word) of the rexy in the tighter street (or something like great ocean road) is the GTR as much 'fun' as the rex in these situations? How much 'bigger' does it feel as a car (i.e. does it feel commodore sized in carparks?)

3. Track: No question I'd prefer to punt the GTR around the track, but as far as stock boxes go, when do they start to break?

4. DCCD and new car feel/warranty: The 05 appeals to me in this sense, as its a brand new car with a nice interior, do the R34 interiors look dated now (in the flesh)??

5. Has anyone done any dirt work in their GTR? I don't mind motorkhanas...

Again, I think there is great respect for both cars, so not trying to start a flame war, but for the guys who's made the transition what was it like??

Cheers,

Ben.

The fact is, you can almost always buy a cheaper car and spend the difference in price and end up with a really quick car. ie. get a Commo or Falcon V8 for <$60k and spend $100,000 on them and sure, they'll be quicker than a Ferrari 360 . But they still wont BE a Ferrari. Same with the Rex- you can get it to be quicker than a stock GT-R but it will never BE the car a GT-R is. Regarding warranty - as soon as you do any performance mods that goes straight out the window.