SAU Community

15 year rule is officially... OVER!

funkymonkey

you need someone on the ground in Japan to stop that happening. you cant expect to run an import business without a business partener in Japan. Mine just happens to own some auction houses and yards in Japan. Any car bought before feb 7th with import approval can still come in. If you dont have any then you will have to look at the RAWS list to see what can be imported-stuff like R33.34,jza80 supra ,stagea etc . To get import approval on the 15yr stuff now you need someone in Japan buying them privately and then applying for import approval and the original owner must give permission to do this.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need someone on the ground in Japan to stop that happening. you cant expect to run an import business without a business partener in Japan. Mine just happens to own some auction houses and yards in Japan. Any car bought before feb 7th with import approval can still come in. If you dont have any then you will have to look at the RAWS list to see what can be imported-stuff like R33.34,jza80 supra ,stagea etc . To get import approval on the 15yr stuff now you need someone in Japan buying them privately and then applying for import approval and the original owner must give permission to do this.

hmmm. thats definitely something to think about...

can it be done through the auction yard,but?

by the sounds of things, i doubt it....

BUT. if i bought privately through my friends then i/they can apply for import approval and if thats the case, then bringing back a 1990 or older GTR doesnt seem to be such a painful task.....and theyve told me its easy for them to organize one for me...

am i on the right track with this??

if im right, its as though they are importing the car into Oz sounding like they will be the ones owning and driving the car in Oz but in actual fact....well...it goes without saying. why would the government penalize a Japanese and make him wait a YEAR with the car before going to australia just so he can drive it?...i understand..(i think..) and i just have to act as benefactor if all goes right..

is this in any way true? coz if it is then i know what to do.

by the way, thanx for the advice! now i know how to read between the lines if what im thinking is correct..

Z

You almost on the right track. You can purchase the car yourself from your contacts in Japan and get their permission for you to apply for import approval. Once again this just gives you the right to apply, not the right to get import approval. Thats up to others. If this is successful you then need to organise shipping,customs,compliance etc etc.

*sigh* what overev's talking about is backdated invoices from the seller in japan, so that he applies for import approval for late 1990 cars pretending they were bought before the laws were changed. Dodgyness at its best. None of this "sign for permission" crap. I hear a few importers have been getting the shaft from DOTARS for this exact thing, esp when they see auction reports of cars from a week ago for cars that were supposedly bought month and months ago :(

Maybe you should mention what happens when the import approval is rejected? Do you buy the car back since the car has to have already been bought to get the dereg and other paperwork? :rofl: Maybe you should mention that if an import approval is rejected once, your chances of importing that car ever again are reduced to almost zero?

Fark sakes for a few of extra grand I'd buy an accident/damage/rust free car under SEVS and do the mods myself. Just for peace of mind that my doctored paperwork dosen't have a chance of being rejected and I'm stuck with a car in Japan and no way to bring it into the country... ever.

wait a sec.

i have a mate with a 1990 Gtr and ive already told him about this situation.

hes willing to sell it to me but whos to stop him if he dates the invoice back to december LAST year to show thats when i bought it??

as far as the governments concerned, thats a legitimate sale and they dont have to know hes a friend or whether or not i had the money to pay for shipping in that time...

who would know such a thing?

at worst im going to have to own a car for a year an if i do that im not going to **** around with a 15 year old car..thats for sure..

i hear Evos in 4,5 and 6 fetch huuuge prices in australia still..

that seems like a better option if its going to be so god damned tough.

and the car will be a lot newer to boot.

The Government(SEVS) will however question why if you bought the car in Dec last year have you waited 7 months to file for import approval. Many others have been caught this way in the last 6 weeks trying the same thing.

Keep an eye on those 'huge' EVO prices as they are on the decline now that the factory are bringing in latest generation EVOs for reasonable money

as far as the governments concerned, thats a legitimate sale and they  dont have to know hes a friend or whether or not i had the money to pay for shipping in that time...

who would know such a thing?

they will simply ask for your wire transfer receipt. when you show it to them it better be dated december 2004 too otherwis you are f**ked. do you think they are so dumb as to not realise that people can date invoices whenever they want. they can put whatever number on it too. sh1t I will give you an invoice for any car you want. i charge $10 per invoice. the invoice means bugger all without evidence the car was PAID FOR before the rule change.

Exactly, i'm still bringing in R32's but i bought them and had import approval before the cut off date. They are only coming in now because they have just turned 15yrs old.

look zildogGTR, if you really are desperate to bend the rules (and it seems as though you are, from your posts), then that's up to you. others on the board have tried to tell you the consequences and that you can still get some cheap SEVS GTRs but it looks like you're not interested.

this isn't a flame, but for god's sake join the dots.

For every numbnut that bends the rules and gets caught, the government clamps down even harder on an already strict industry. Its all fun and games till you get caught, "I haven't been rejected yet" dosen't cut it, unless you have a solid contingency plan if you are rejected, and even then you'd have already rooted any credibility we have left with DOTARS. Its only a matter of time till you do get caught anyways as its not like they don't keep tabs on importers and agents.

Two major importers in Brisso have just been rejected on a load of R32's. Being 5 months or so since the rule change its now very hard to do them. Not all is lost as R33 auction prices are dropping and compliance here is getting cheaper. Landing and complying 94-95 R33 GTST is now looking good at around $12k each

The Government(SEVS) will however question why if you bought the car in Dec last year have you waited 7 months to file for import approval. Many others have been caught this way in the last 6 weeks trying the same thing.

Keep an eye on those 'huge' EVO prices as they are on the decline now that the factory are bringing in latest generation EVOs for reasonable money

i heard the evo 9 will land soon, but whats the pricing going to be at??

theyre still a pretty rare car on aussie roads, evos...

it seems to me to be the most financially viable option..

and what do you think??

whats the best value for money car to bring back to Oz and still have a solid investment

Evo s are still solid but it depends on your buying price in Japan. The EVO 9 will not be much more than a subbie STI to stay competitive. Some EVO models are not eligible for importing either. Once again hard to say which is best investment all depends on your buying price. I have just landed and complied some 95 late series 1 R33 GTST coupes in 5 speed for 11-12k

Evo s are still solid but it depends on your buying price in Japan. The EVO 9 will not be much more than a  subbie STI to stay competitive. Some EVO models are not eligible for importing either. Once again hard to say which is best investment all depends on your buying price. I have just landed and complied some 95 late series 1 R33 GTST coupes in 5 speed for 11-12k

how can that be right? if ive owned the car for ayear, the government cant say shit about what i bring in....right?

what are you basing that opinion on? you mean even if i owned the car for a year, the government can still say no??

and i dont want a 33. they are turning into the commodore of skylines...every man and his dog has one...

hence the Evo...

ive looked at an evo 6 in a yard for 1.2 million yen. thats 15k australian, and thats dirt cheap.

the thing had 65k on the clock was stark white and from all the checks i and a mate did we couldnt fault it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i heard the evo 9 will land soon, but whats the pricing going to be at??

theyre still a pretty rare car on aussie roads, evos...

it seems to me to be the most financially viable option..

and what do you think??

whats the best value for money car to bring back to Oz and still have a solid investment

The new evo is going to be released NOT under the 100 car rule or whatever it was can't remember the tech name, and competitively priced at almost the same price as the Sti, so there should be a few more on the roads, they won't be as rare anymore.