SAU Community

15 year rule is officially... OVER!

funkymonkey

For it to be released "it has to be in the public interest" is what the reply will be I can tell you now as other requests have gone in and the responce is the same.

Actually, that isn't the case. If it is in the public interest, the request is free. But even if it isn't (and in this case it is!) it is still subject to FOI, and there are quite limited grounds (none that would apply in this case) for exemption..

So it might take a while, but we will get it.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received the following from the j-spec teams mailing list...

Was fun whilst it lasted :`(

I know I sound like a broken record, but that isn't the right approach! Ring them up! Send a letter! If I hadn't organised lots of people to do this last year, the changes would have been in a year ago - and they won't come in now if enough people make enough noise!

Remember, on the one hand we have car importers like BMW and Merc who want more trade protection and a thirty year monopoly - on the other you have tens of thousands of enthusists and auto shops. If EVERYONE complained, the changes would be dead in their tracks...

Ian

www.r34skyline.com

the latest build you can bring in now is may. if the ruling doesn't get gazetted until next month, then the latest build will be june.

remember that if you buy at auction you'll still have to wait to find a suitable car (which can take months).

buying from a supplier is different.

After some correspondence with DOTARS we got this back from them. Makes things a lil confusing. I've been monitoring the comlaw pages since day one, and he's right any small change in the Act is reflected on there. (as are discussions in parliament etc).

The website for the Federal Register can be found at www.comlaw.gov.au This site provides a facility for registration to be notified when new legislation is put onto the Register. You need to monitor this site for any new legislation rather than the Government Gazette site. The new Regulation will be law the day after entering on the Federal Register and the Register can be amended any day of the week.

Regards

Alan Gascoyne

Director, Certification

Vehicle Safety Standards

Thanks shan. That site is incredibly confusing for people like me who have no idea in that field.. I had a quick skim throughout, and can't find anything related to the 15yr rule... where should I be looking?

on comlaw the only thing you need to monitor is the Motor Vehicles Standards Act, as that's what will be amended to restrict importation of cars (that being a subsection of the Motor Vehicles Standards Act).

We should be emailing people that info later today.

The 15 year old law has ended.

The long wait is finally over with the amendment being made to the `Motor Vehicle Standards Act` yesterday - these changes take effect the day after they are written so as of this morning there will be no more 1989-90 model cars imported under these laws. A copy of the actual law amendment can be viewed at www.comlaw.gov.au

This change has been long coming with the announcment made in early February that this was the direction things were heading, however the very slow manner in which the Act was amended provided a small window of opportunity many have taken advantage of, which has now ended.

From this day onwards there are a few distinct ways to import cars as listed below:

- 1988 and older -

Any vehicle built before 1st January 1989 (ie 1988 and older) can be imported without restriction in the same way as the now old `15 year rules` - as before you still need to get import approval from DOTARS before shipping the car to Australia.

- SEVS compliance -

This now includes any cars built in 1989 or newer which meet the SEVS criteria - basically this means that the car must not have been sold in Australia during the same year range & must meet specific performance criteria in most cases.

You can view the full list of cars approved under the SEVS scheme at http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.htm but please be aware that you can only import a vehicle if there is compliance available also.

- Motorsport vehicles -

Cars are still allowed to be import for `race only` use however the requirements are fairly strict as always. You need to have a level 3 or higher CAMS licence, the car needs to be FIA approved or endorsed by CAMS for the race class you intend using it for. Motorsport imports can't be registered for road use.

- Personal imports -

You are allowed to import any car as a personal import without restriction on make/model as long as you have owned and used it overseas for at least the past 12 months.

This law is for people moving to live in Australia and wishing to bring their vehicle as well - you will be asked to provide evidence of your time overseas and your intention to stay in Australia.

SEVS import laws in combination with the 1988 and earlier rule still allow a good selection of cars to be brought in and the variety of SEVS vehicles available is likely to increase over time.

Regards,

The J-Spec Imports Team