SAU Community

15 year rule is officially... OVER!

funkymonkey

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually looking forward to a shitload of R32 GTRs on the road.  More on the road means a bigger market, which means more mechanical and aftermarket support.  Plus all the young hoons buy their cheap GTR and write it off, meaning more spare parts available!  But I guess not now...

yeah, but the import wreakers will still be bringing parts in, and importing parts is still available.

Trying to get the rule change overturned is like holding back the sea..... Good for those people who already have 89's here, can't help but keep prices at a good level.

I think prestige or J-spec should organise to bring out a series of bumber stickers or somthing with a smart catch!!!!!!!

Like... i duno.. theres no such thing as free trade, ask jim loyd, haha i duno but, regarding the whole deal and then organise a cruise especially in canberra just to get some attension of some kind, turn some heads so ppl know wats goin on and if we can spin it our way first then get it out in the open it would definatly swing in our favour with the govournment having to respond to more of the public.

I know imports have a relitively bad rap with the public so it could be hard to play right but no one likes unnessicary resriction put on them especially by goverment, nor do the govornment like a public display of defamation !!

It could be a very powerfull influence !! hell, id buy one for a reasonable price :kick:

wat do you guys think?

lol I'll bring it up when I'm at work next :P you never know with the guys that work here... I mean, one of em's just finished puttin a VL RB30E engine into a R32 (with holden rocker cover and all).

I'd like to see "I survived the 15 year old scheme" on a model T ford, because that's all we'll be able to import if things keep goin the way they do.

On an even more lighter note... who started the forward that said that Risbey was joining Jim's Mowing? I just got it in my email in the morning, and opened it up thinking... "yay more affermative action/lobbying from prestige" and was slightly dissapointed, yet amused at the same time.

Well.... It had to come to an end.

You know what? I think if everyone had emailed/hatemailed/snailmailed/telephoned as many importers/brokers as they could and tried to convince them to stop bringing in Trucks, campervans, four wheel drives, NA 300ZX's, Eurotrash, celsior's, S-cargo's - basically the sort of stuff that was never intended to come in under the rules - it would have had more impact than any of the lobbying on DOTARS.

I mean basically for however long the debate was going, we had car enthusiasts writing dotars saying "let us keep bringing in the enthusiast/sporting models", and DOTARS presumably saw this and compared it to the importers bringing in all the other shitbox trucks, vans, landbruisers and so on - hmmmm....I wonder what was going to hold more weight the fact that people want some select cars, or that the import industry was exploiting the shit out of the loophole?

Its an own-goal.

At least the prices should stop dropping on GTR's!

I have been importing these cars from Japan for the last year and I think DOTARS have done the right thing. Otherwise we would become a dumping ground for old used Japanese cars. Even NZ wont touch 15 year old cars. NZ only takes 5-8 year old cars. I feel sorry for the guys who have bought Australian new GTRs and seen the value harved by the cheap japanese imported GTRs. Next it would have been NSX owners etc. I think they should have made it similar to the personal import rule. 1 car per year per person. That would stopped the huge flood of imports that have caused the law to be changed. On the other hand I am glad I have some GTR's etc , and a NSX waiting to come in under the 15y rule :P

Rob www.japaneseautosales.com R32GTS-4 Rocks!

How many users of this forum are disadvantaged as they are now un-able to import a-

MX-5 ?

Nissan Patrols?

Commercial vehicles?

Toyota Surfs?

Toyota Celsior?

ect...ect

32 skylines will shortly be avaliable through a RAW as will Zeds!!!! 33,s have allways been avaliable and have never qualified as 15 year old imports.

The SEV,s list has also made vehicles avaliable, never imported here previously such as the V-35 and the Stagea with many new models to follow...

You all have the right to be "dark" with the way the decision was implemented, and i would agree with the conspiracy theorists as to who had what input. But I fail to see how the new "Regs" can STOP anybody importing a 1989-current Skyline..... After all is this not called SKYLINES AUSTRALIA........ The MX-5 club may be complaining!!!!!

Greetings all :) , as this is my first post I will try to be rational under severe duress!

Was it not Voltaire who said, "I may disagree with what you say but defend to the death the right to say it.....

I can see some middle ground here and emotives aside one has to question IF we ARE living in a Democracy. :)

I take on board the import of undesirable imports but of course controls in place etc and the fact that enthusiasts bring vehicles in surely to look after them and cherish them not have then decay in to some clapped out old heap.

What infuriates me is when as a democracy we are dictated to with such immediate effect, extremely suspicious and why one certain minister has done more damage in my eyes to his credibility and his party that I can recall and I will vote accordingly in the future.

I would suggest those that feel strongly enough about this issue to do like wise and seriously consider setting up steering committee’s in each state or forever revel in your own demise. :Bang:

Welcome to the Animal Farm! (Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others") :bonk:

the system was being abused..........the law was there for car enthuiasts not for car importers to bring over Landcruisers, work vans etc.

what they should have done was only apply the 15 yearold rule to SEVS approved cars that are '89' or younger (as the years roll on)

that way it stops imports replacing austrailan vechials (even though SEVS is doing this) while keeping in with the original spirit of the law........................

Date:2/20/2005 7:49:27 PM To:"Shingo Miyashiro" CC: From:"Prestige Motorsport" Subject:LABOUR PARTY CONTACTS ~ 15 Year Rule Update -- 20th February 2005 dot.gifThe Labour Party is particularly interested in how Jim Lloyd is handling this issue and are looking for any reason to raise difficult questions on the matter.

Both Kim Beazley and Simon Crean are now aware of this issue and would like to hear from as many people as possible. You can contact them as follows:

[/size]

The Hon Simon Crean MP

Australian Labor Party

Electoral Division of Hotham (Vic)

Email: [email protected]

Parliament House Contact

House of Representatives

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6277 4911

Fax: (02) 6277 8547

Electorate Office Contact

Clayton Office:

401 Clayton Road

Clayton Vic 3168

Postal Address:

PO Box 5295

Clayton Vic 3168

Tel: (03) 9545 6211

Fax: (03) 9545 6299

Kim Beazley - Member for Brand

Federal Labor Leader

Email: [email protected]

Parliament House:

Tel: (02) 6277 4022

Fax: (02) 6277 8495

Brand Electorate Office:

1/18 Council Avenue

Rockingham, WA, 6168

Toll Free: 1800 016 023

Tel: (08) 9527 9377

Fax: (08) 9592 1361

http://www.alp.org.au/people/wa/beazley_kim.php

IMPORTANT: Remember, you need to give solid reasons for opposing the changes, and real complaints as to the absurd actions of the Govt. on this issue and how it is being handled. If it affects your business then let them know. Please encourage anyone you know that feels strongly about this issue to get in touch with the Labour Party this week. This can be done by e-mail, so it is not difficult and will take only a couple of minutes.

Points to highlight are:

-- DOTARS have been trying to sneak the rule changes through without due public and industry consideration and they are ignoring valid opposition to the changes

-- The changes to the 15 year rule go against free trade policies and reduce the public's choice of safe and efficient vehicles. Why give the big importers a 30 year monopoly when no other product in Australia has the same Government protection ?

-- DOTARS arguments of safety and emissions are factually incorrect, and are merely ineffective window dressing

-- Given that the decision makes no logical sense and only advantages the large car importers, is there something sinister going on behind the scenes ? Are we going to see campaign donations to the liberal party ?

-- Many thousands of people will be affected by the changes, some will lose their businesses and a significant number of people will be directly and immediately put out of work with only 3 weeks notice

For the full detail on these ridiculous changes, please see the Industry News section at our website:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/

To remove an e-mail address from this mailing list please follow the simple instructions provided on any mailing list update. To add an e-mail address please use the link on our website.

We only wish to send this information to those willing to receive it. We do not condone spamming or the sending of unwanted e-mail. Our apologies in advance if this e-mail is unwanted.

Regards

Geoff Risbey

Manager

Prestige Motorsport

0418 944 253

www.prestigemotorsport.com.au

At your service Mon to Fri from 9am to 5pm WST, and Sat from 9am to 3pm WST

DL14688

Points to highlight are:

-- DOTARS have been trying to sneak the rule changes through without due public and industry consideration and they are ignoring valid opposition to the changes

-- The changes to the 15 year rule go against  free trade policies and reduce the public's choice of safe and efficient vehicles.  Why give the big importers a 30 year monopoly when no other product in Australia has the same Government protection ?

-- DOTARS arguments of safety and emissions are factually incorrect, and are merely ineffective window dressing

-- Given that the decision makes no logical sense and only advantages the large car importers, is there something sinister going on behind the scenes ?  Are we going to see campaign donations to the liberal party ?

-- Many thousands of people will be affected by the changes, some will lose their businesses and a significant number of people will be directly and immediately put out of work with only 3 weeks notice

[

Points to conveniently ignore are:

---IMPORTERS have been trying to sneak the 4x4's, trucks, assorted locally available cars and shitheaps through without due consideration for the fact the laws were designed for enthusiasts, not tightarses who want to save a couple of thousand.

---The abuse of the 15 year rule goes against its original intention.

---Though of course Japanese cars are nominally cleaner/equal to similar age aussie ones, the fact is they were tested at much lower loads and would register considerably higher in Australian/US testing. As for safety, its a moot point.

---Given that the decision makes sense and only disadvantages the backyard car importers and others profiting off bringing in the 4x4's trucks and so on, is there something sinister going on behind the scenes ? Are we going to see campaign donations to the labor party so that joe 15+ importer can continue to make quick dollars abusing the system?

--- Many thousands of people who jumped on the 15+ bandwagon will be affected by the changes, some will lose their businesses (which they setup as soon as profitable cars became available under 15+) and a significant number of people will be directly and immediately put out of work because of something we have seen coming for years but, hey, we continued to milk it so now the shit will hit the fan in 3 weeks.

---Risbey shifted a bloody lot of cars under the 15+ rule, and hey, he stands to lose a fair bit of dosh from a mess anyone could see was unfolding.

Say goodbye to cheap rusty S-cargo's and light trucks folks.

Well as I was at the compliance shop getting parts of mine done, I did notice a couple of old japanese buses, and 4x4. Didn't see much else there 15 years old, other than these. So this as a small "sampling" is what is driving the moves, like floody, drifft, etc is saying.

Whichever importers made money off the 15 year rule over the last 24 months should probably have enough to comfortably retire by now. If not, then something is amiss. I do think some are not *just* whinging about it to protect just their own interests, although they obviously do have an interest in these cars. Most of them I have spoken to can rabbit on all day about this and that, they do have a genuine interest and it's not *all* just money to them. Maybe I'm just trying to see the good in people where there is none, but that's me I guess. Like I said, if they are a one or two man band and bringing in 100-200 cars per year @ $1500 compliance fee each, somebody is making some big dollars already. If you're a good business person when an opportunity closes you simply go on and milk the next..

Things will settle down over time... Those dealers with the "exclusive" rights to r32 plates will be interesting to see what happens there. Whilst an R32 is kinda cool, it's not worth paying $18k for a stocker. Can't say i've seen a flood of 15 year cars in dealers lately.. a few in the trading post.. but hardly a flood.

[quote name=

--- Many thousands of people who jumped on the 15+ bandwagon will be affected by the changes' date=' some will lose their businesses (which they setup as soon as profitable cars became available under 15+) and a significant number of people will be directly and immediately put out of work because of something we have seen coming for years but, hey, we continued to milk it so now the shit will hit the fan in 3 weeks.

---Risbey shifted a bloody lot of cars under the 15+ rule, and hey, he stands to lose a fair bit of dosh from a mess anyone could see was unfolding.

Say goodbye to cheap rusty S-cargo's and light trucks folks.[/quote]

Well put Floody,

"He Who Has most To Gain, Maketh most noise" If they dont like it, set-up a RAW,s!!!!

http://www.leedervillemotors.com.au/carvie...w.php?maxprice= is one example of what they want to stop.

Lots of 15 year cars their and you cant say they will be happy and they have only been around for 12 months.

Slightly OT, but that yard in particular - many (most?) of those cars are substantially more expensive than their aussie available counterparts. I don't know about you but $12k for a 1989 Hiace, or $11k for a 1989 740GLE volvo (which you could easily get already here for ~$6-8k) is crazy....

I say again.

If they were really intent on just stopping mass imports and preserving the interests of enthusiasts, they would change the law to restrict import approvals to 1 per person per 5 years (e.g), but keep the eligibility of vehicles the same. It's so simple, and would have cut down the work DOTARS was having to do issuing IAs.