SAU Community

15 year rule is officially... OVER!

funkymonkey

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually that's where the doubt is... is it before the Act is actually amended sometime in March (as per the FAQ which says that the 15 year rule still applies till that date) OR is it any car paid for in part or whole prior to the 7th of Feb. I'm faily certain its the latter.

hmmm, funky are u going to find this out cuz if this is ture, i might just go out and get a 15yr old car if it is

actually that's where the doubt is... is it before the Act is actually amended sometime in March (as per the FAQ which says that the 15 year rule still applies till that date) OR is it any car paid for in part or whole prior to the 7th of Feb. I'm faily certain its the latter.

It's financial commitment, I buy from auction in Japan, the same thing happened to me with month by month last year. My word at the auction house is financial commitment.

So as fom today..... you have 52 min left!!!!

is it just me or did i read the email from prestige wrong? it stated that as of today 07/02/05 cars built during and prior to 1988 can still be imported just not 1989 up, so in theory as of 01/01/06 cars with a built date ??/??/1989 will be back on the RAWS import list???

This is a paragraph from the FAQ pdf:

Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989, implementing the changeover, are expected to be finalised shortly (before the end of February 2005).

Once the Regulations are amended, the 15-year-old scheme will no longer be

available to vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1989.

The new rule won't be implemented until the law is amended (late February 2005). However, it later states that:

The transitional arrangement will apply to importers who have made a financial commitment on a vehicle before 7 February 2005. This arrangement will cover those importers (agents and owners) who have purchased vehicles and stored them temporarily overseas – awaiting the time they qualify under the 15-year-old rule. These importers will not need to dispose of the vehicle.

The 15-year-old scheme will continue to apply for these vehicles, until 31 December 2005. That is, the transition applies to vehicles manufactured on or before 31 December 1990.

Seems like a contradiciton to me. :confused:

Then it goes on to say:

13) When will the Regulations be amended?

Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989, implementing the

change, are expected to be Gazetted before the end of March 2005.

14) Can I continue to import vehicles 15 or more years old until the

Regulations are amended?

Yes. Until the Regulations are amended, the 15-year-old scheme continues to apply. However, the vehicle must be 15 (or more) years old when making the application.

Another contradiciton. :confused:

is it just me or did i read the email from prestige wrong? it stated that as of today 07/02/05 cars built during and prior to 1988 can still be imported just not 1989 up, so in theory as of 01/01/06 cars with a built date ??/??/1989 will be back on the RAWS import list???

No regardless of the date only 1988 models can be imported the old way untill it reaches the time that they become 30 year old cars or at least that is my understanding so so 1989models will be back on the list in 30 years time yay :headspin:

:Bang: << minister of transport

Quote:

13) When will the Regulations be amended?

Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989, implementing the

change, are expected to be Gazetted before the end of March 2005.

14) Can I continue to import vehicles 15 or more years old until the

Regulations are amended?

Yes. Until the Regulations are amended, the 15-year-old scheme continues to apply. However, the vehicle must be 15 (or more) years old when making the application.

Another contradiciton.

i think there saying that you can still import somthing only 15 years old so nothing newer than 7 of feb 1990 untill the end of march and the people that have already bought after 8th of feb 1990 as of today are ok but not you cant try and buy somthing with a build date of for example june 1990 as of tomoro :headspin:

Yes, I think this could be it:

Anything built after February 1990 that has already been bought can still be approved and imported as long as you have proof of purchase before 7 february, 2005. This will contiue under the transition period up until 31 December 2005. So if you haven't bought a later 1990 model already, don't bother.

And, you can still import a 15 year old vehicle after 7 Feb 2005 up until they amend the appropriate law (late February/early March 2005), but it must be 15 years old at the time of application (ie, built before Feb/March 1990).

But, once the law has been amended, you can no longer import any vehicle built after 1 January 1989 under the old 15 year rule.

sooo, if i bought a 1989 (or pre march 1990) car tomorrow it could still be imported?

but if i bought a 1989 car after March 2005 it couldnt be imported

if i have already bought a 1989/90 car it CAN be imported

ehh i dont think buying a car now is worth the drama

Kor'axis   what if we got their email addresses and just flooded their inboxes (with hate mail) for 15years....

very little id say.. They didnt take any notice of the genral responce given over the past year or so leading up to this rule change and they wont start now... its such a shame i begin to wonder if there was more i could have done to prenent this change :cheers: (reaches into bathroom and begins putting talkum powder in a letter addressed to dotars listing demands) :sadam:

what a crock of s**t dam the government sucks some real big D**k. the only reason this is getting changed is because of the greddy manufactors ie: holden and ford. they bitch and complaine about imported vehicles comming into the country and under cutting them what a load of crap, imports only make up 2% of the total amount of vehicles on the road in aus. but also there just as bad as alot of there own models are imported!!!!!! about the only cars holden and ford make in aus is like the commodores and falcans everything else is a import!!!! like calibra, barina, vectra, laser, etc etc. most are imported from england!!! this change is very suspect though as what does cars 15yo have to do with people buying new cars???? not alot i wouldn't think just a crock of S*it pretty much just a excuse to bitch and mone. maybe if holden and ford start making some good cars for once they wouldn't feel threatened by the top quality jap performance cars. u would think they would jump on the band wagon and start making some actuall cars that the "drift" or "race" jap style customer would like to purchase other than a jap car :S as u would think they would be smart and go shit every ones buying these small rwd performance cars hmmm maybe there could be a market to sell to?????? wankers. hey guys here's a pointer maybe try build something under 1400kg's and in a rwd turbo setup???? any ways said my thoughts i hope everyones as out raged as me

From the J-spec site:

http://www.j-spec.com.au/MediaRelease.pdf

Cars still on the list are apparently still able to be imported but after they go, its all over folks. 89-90 models will have to go through the RAWS treatment.

Those cars with finacial commitment made on them already will still be allowed to be imported under the old scheme.

er... the biggest pusher for regulation of import volumes wasn't holden or ford but toyota... lol... and its not over performance cars, its over cars like landcruisers and patrols which the import equivalent outperform and come with more features than the newer models.

We were actually getting just as many regular commercial and passenger vehicles for customers as we were getting performance cars.

HA ha ha ha ha!!! hoorah to all of us that took the chance a while ago and got one of the 89's :rofl:

To everyone else saying it was SO Sudden WTF!?!?!? it's been on the cards for ages now - if you didn't commit, then bad luck. I had a Sh*t fight with DOTARS when they changed the rule in 2003, as did many others, we bought everyone else the time upto now for you to import a 15yr old.

I realise somepeople wanted the later model cars, but you gotta understand that DOTARS was intending to axe this scheme since 2003!