SAU Community

15 year rule is officially... OVER!

funkymonkey

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 words for all, supply and demand.

Correct, and I think demand is going to drop significantly. I've put this post in my palm to remind me, we will come back in a year and see who is right! :-)

Well i think supply is reduced and demand is the same.. so we shall see! :P

I know I wouldn't buy an R32 for only $3k less than an R33 though.. but for $6k less i would, and did :(

It depends what you'd call the "average price" at the moment... For R33 I reckon its about $16k.. for r32 I reckon its about $13k .. but this is just a very broad average.

ian I agree with most of your posts, but I disagree with you on this one.

Your assuming that a new skyline shopper will purchase an r33 over an r32. I think they are two completely different types of buyers.

The r33 market is for someone who wants an improved 2 door commodore that can carry their mates (S2 r33 owners excluded). r32 people usually 'just want an r32' because they dont like the look of the r33's, or commodores for that matter.

Even ignoring my above point, the fact is as predator said, Supply is now cut. No more cheap r32 gts-t's or GTRs.

If anything, by cutting supply the demand for it usually goes up. Most r32 buyers in particular are buying them because "Everybody has an r33".. lets face it theres a lot more of them on the road.

ian I agree with most of your posts, but I disagree with you on this one.

Your assuming that a new skyline shopper will purchase an r33 over an r32. I think they are two completely different types of buyers.

The r33 market is for someone who wants an improved 2 door commodore that can carry their mates  (S2 r33 owners excluded). r32 people usually 'just want an r32' because they dont like the look of the r33's, or commodores for that matter.

Even ignoring my above point, the fact is as predator said, Supply is now cut. No more cheap r32 gts-t's or GTRs.  

If anything, by cutting supply the demand for it usually goes up. Most r32 buyers in particular are buying them because "Everybody has an r33".. lets face it theres a lot more of them on the road.

100% agreed! could not have said it better myself! R32's have a distinct shape and are totally different from R33's. No way i could say to myself "oh well, no more cheap R32's, i'll just get an R33".

The R32's will become more sought after. My .02 c!

-Shaun

if you check out the quality of some of the sub $9000 R32's that have come in under the 15 year rule you'll see that these cars won't retain their value even if the holocaust hit town. However there are cars like robin or lucien's R32's which are value for money.

Put it this way, a person that imported a dirt cheap R32 will now put $2000 on their 1989/1990 car and try to flog it off. People looking for R32's can compare the costs to getting a 1993/94 R32 under SEVS (with adjustment for costs of a newer car).

The only demand that dosen't exist anymore is cars for those who can't afford to do their own mods, and relied on buying "out of the box solutions" to drift etc. The rest of the regular importers can still get cars, parts and aftermarket support. I mean its an economy, and it levels itself out. That's what economies do.

• 1 month later...

hi guys. im sittin here at my PC in Japan hardly believing my eyes....

i had a nightmare last night and i couldnt figure out what it was about but i know now it was about THIS. can someone tell me what the F%$K is going on in Australia?? i have been sizing up R32 rides for 2 months now and on the verge of purchase only to discover that this news has broken 4 (!!!) MONTHS ago!!!...and im sorry for not staying tuned....

its my s&%t and i gotta deal with it. if im correct, the only way for me to bring my GTR to AUS is to register, park and prove..with reciepts, that i had the car for a year in japan, registered, before i imported it?? is that IT??!!Tell me i havent woken up yet...

its not bad enough that i deal with 2000 people on the train everyday and 12 students each lesson that im now being FORCED to..if i return to australia( and interestingly now that ive heard this news, has given me ANOTHER reason not to return to AUS) i have to buy a locally produced P.O.S..in order to sustain an economy i couldnt care less about??? ( the car economy that is, guys)

any thoughts dear australians??

i dont CARE if i have to wait a year. im gonna thrash the GTR for that time,in JAPAN, THEN bring it back to be my prized posession. if the government wants to play BALL, they F%#$$D with the wrong GAIJIN.

GTR owners and enthusiasts NEVER say DIE...

RIGHT?

Zildog.

i appreciate the sentiment. but im not rich enough to afford a 34....my loss..

anyway, 32, 33, or 34..or not, im still intent on bringing my own piece of japanese technology to Oz..

so LAW or not, can i bring a MODDED R32..or 33.. to Oz under the ...ONE..YEAR rule, considering ive had the car registered, insured, weighed, parked, and paid for...

and NOT expect the government to give me the ****in shits?? whats the story?? fellow australians..share the knowledge..

im just a clueless gaijin flailing around in the waters of the rising sun... and doing it with the passion of wanting to own his own piece of Nissan motoring History...

Somebody.....!!

Anybody...!!

if you own the car in japan for 12 months or longer (that means showing registration papers, purchase reciepts, fuel bills, insurance bills, maintenance logs, and anything else that shows evidence that you actively owned and drove the car in japan) you can bring the car into the county as a personal import.

Personal imports are exempt from SEVS regulations, so they can have as many mods as you want, as long as you can get an engineers cert, just like 15 year old cars used to have to get. When you get that done (should cost between $800 and $1300 all up) you then get a gold plate (green for SEVS, no plate for 1988 and older).

As an added bonus personal imports are exempt from some taxes etc. Shipping will cost about $1200.

That's not as bad as some thought it would be. There goes any chance of importing a highly modded R32/300Zx.

Not so,

if the car is bought privately in Japan and the previous owner will sign for permission to be imported into Aus you can apply for import approval

Not so,

if the car is bought privately in Japan and the previous owner will sign for permission to be imported into Aus you can apply for import approval

What are you basing that opinion on?

That I have already done it with 6/90 R32 gtst's and i'm about to do it again

let me get this straight. i have D1 mates here in Japan with connections galore in the drift scene. they have mates who buy and sell cars. you get the picture. so all i have to do is ask hiroshi nicely to sign for me to have the car sent under his name to australia?? your explanation is extremely vague, and you mentioned 1990 skylines....so it only applies to cars 15 and older? :confused:

can you clarify if this is a LOOPHOLE or not for dear GOD man, you may have stumbled onto something extraordinary...

Z

let me get this straight. i have D1 mates here in Japan with connections galore in the drift scene. they have mates who buy and sell cars. you get the picture. so all i have to do is ask hiroshi nicely to sign for me to have the car sent under his name to australia?? your explanation is extremely vague, and you mentioned 1990 skylines....so it only applies to cars 15 and older? :confused:  

can you clarify if this is a LOOPHOLE or not for dear GOD man, you may have stumbled onto something extraordinary...

Z

Its not as straight forward as all that. I said you can apply for import approval, doesn't mean you will get it every time. Iwont give all my secrets away but you sound like you have the right connections to fiqure it out. I have an importing business with similar connection and with connections with car dealers and auctions houses in Osaka

So with the 15year import rule...it doesnt have to be specific to Japanese cars does it?

f9_1_b.JPG

If i can import something like this then it takes away the expense of having ot own such a vehicle while OS so that it can be imported as a private import

Yeh that one is a little gung ho, but its still a registered road car in the UK used for club level motorsport, so why would i need a C3 licence. I see plenty of hard core Servies IV & V RX7s coming in umder the 15 year rule.???

Anyway, this is more what im looking for, though it doesnt have big brakes:(

c5_1_b.JPG

Yeh that one is a little gung ho, but its still a registered road car in the UK used for club level motorsport, so why would i need a C3 licence. I see plenty of hard core Servies IV & V RX7s coming in umder the 15 year rule.???

Anyway, this is more what im looking for, though it doesnt have big brakes:(

c5_1_b.JPG

Yeah but anything too modified now after the 15year has finished can be tricky to comply and register especially with a cage in it. I brought in some really modified cars a year ago when things were easier, but now can be a little more difficult. Depends who is doing the compliance and road worthy for you and depends if in the first place you can get import approval. If you are in Bris I can help

Its not as straight forward as all that. I said you can apply for import approval, doesn't mean you will get it every time. Iwont give all my secrets away but you sound like you have the right connections to fiqure it out. I have an importing business with similar connection and with connections with car dealers and auctions houses in Osaka

im not asking you to reveal all Rev, and any aussie worth his 2 bob wouldnt either, but if you managed to do it with 6 (!!!) 32`s then im guessing it must be a relatively simple process..

and over what period of time did these skylines come in_? im worried because the second i seem to make a move, the government goes and ****s things up and i have to find another way..

you say your an importer. is there still room and enough moolah in australia to make a business like that viable? a japanese mate of mine and me are considering starting something up but the way things have gotten in australia recently has me thinking again..

one other thing. ive heard horror stories about stuff that leaves the auction yards in Japan. shit like 2 cars in one, and even the detail sheets they give at the auctions can overlook stuff like that. they dont check UNDER the carpets to find the weld marks..

and how good is a car really, if its got 70k on the clock...?