SAU Community

Next friday night

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! no :slap: but for you i can make an exception lol i ment taking pics of cars but if the light is too sh!t theyll just turn out fuzzy so maybe i get some good pics of CARS andrew can do his asskissing on his grassy knoll :)

" ACT Policing continued its high-priority patrols for street racers on Friday night, dispersing a large group of drivers gathered in Hume.

Frequent checks were made on the Federal Highway and around the streets of Braddon and Mitchell, other well-known hotspots for hoon behaviour.

Traffic Operations manager Sergeant Jeff Knight said police were acting on information received on Thursday, which warned of possible street racing on the Federal Highway, between the roundabout at the top of Antill Street, Watson, and Eagle Hawk.

Along with marked and unmarked cars, Operation Halite detectives were patrolling these areas gathering intelligence, including video surveillance.

No-one was booked for street racing offences on Friday night or yesterday morning, an ACT Policing spokesman said. However, the lack of cooperation from certain people in Hume at about 10.30pm, when asked to move on, almost saw the defect team called out.

Sergeant Knight said burnouts and street racing went hand in hand, but the former was a bigger problem in Canberra. "I'm putting together a strategy at the moment, which will include a lot of things including technology, and we're really going to hit 'em hard."

Part of that strategy involved 19 of his traffic squad members, who were each assigned a sector of Canberra that they must take ownership of, and patrol at least once a shift.

There would be covert surveillance and a dedicated team to concentrate on burnouts, while he also called on residents to phone through information about offenders, such as vehicle registration details.

Police have powers to seize a vehicle involved in burnouts or street racing for up to three months for a first offence, while a repeat offender could forfeit his or her car altogether."

Interesting...

Thanks for the heads up.

Let's just hope they don't go crazy with Operation Halite and nip every little gathering that happens on a Friday night simply because a group of nice cars meets up.

and on what grounds can they have to ask you to move on?

if we were a group of 50 yr old, austin martin, enthusiasts, quietly chatting about our cars, would they tell us to leave? i dont think so.

im pretty happy to do what im told when it comes to police, but its one thing i wont put up with and if push comes to shove i'll be refusing and telling them where they can go.

so yes, i will be ruining it for everybody!