SAU Community

6 litre hsv

Well said Geoff.

It's a shame that what was once an informative and friendly thread to most users have been ruined by a few individuals who either think they've got a car that nothing else compares to or they just want to have a shit stir to give them a laugh.

To tell you honestly, when I started this thread I knew that a stock GTR in good condition is faster than my car. My real intention was really to find out what needs to be done to a skyline GTST to make it go as quick as the new hsv's. I have a friend who keeps telling me that he'll beat me in his auto R33 GTST who is also a active member on this forum. At least when I talk to him I will better understand what he's saying and also give him credit where it is due. I've learnt what I wanted to in the first few pages of this thread. It's a shame that when one person starts flaming, all those who have been holding back then decide to join in. I expected being flamed and tried to minimize it by getting all the bad calls out and I was in fact surprised to see that 95% of the members on this forum did not reply badly.

I remember SkylineKiller started a thread where he was putting down the GTR which he got flamed badly for. That was understandable however it is dissappointing that even when I try to talk civilly with an open mind(skylinekid may disagreee) I still attract the heat.

Andrewwr32, I don't know why you bother to reply if you don't even bother to read the thread. At least you will know what and who you are flaming about. If you're here to shit stir then I'm not the type of person who wants to shit stir back. It doesn't send a good image of the poster to the rest of the members.

4) Why didn't you buy a porsche, or a GT-R, or a BMW, or whatever? Bathurst right? Old men down the pub? When they let GT-Rs back in Bathurst and they get beaten (i.e. the GT-Rs crash) come back with an argument.

Old men? If you call 26 old then I'm old. Am I a bogan? If asian guys can be seen as bogans then I'm one. I don't drink so I don't go to pubs. I'd love to have a porshe but don't have the money for it and don't think I could get it financed from company. My partner works at bmw so we have one already. I didn't buy a GTR for reasons I already posted.

As for people who think this thread should not be in a skyline forum, I thought it would fit in well under the "skyline and OTHER vehicle" thread. It might be about HSV's but it is about the GTR and GTST as well.

Just to clear things up with you Andrew and other critics. My opinion is:

1)GTR and GTST has better overall PERFORMANCE than my HSV.

2)HSV has good straight line performance.

3)Stock GTR in good condition that dumps the clutch will mostly win against stock HSV in straight line.

4)Stock GTST will not likely win against HSV in straight line.

5)Different people have different needs from cars.

Now you know what my opinions are, you can better argue/flame me. I don't want to argue about things I already agree with you. It'll be just a waste of time. Andrew, I noticed that you have just picked up your new GTR32 last week. I'll take it that you're still on a high. I hope you enjoy your ride, but don't make the mistake that you'll be invincible in it and that no other cars out there will give you a run for your money.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait another 5-10 years.. Lets see peoples thoughts then. :)

No doubt many will 'convert'.

To be honest. I am a bogan at heart. I love the v8 rumble.

At this point in time I'm enjoying a bit of sports and decent fuel economy while I study at Uni.

I sold my VS v8 that was basically bran new with mods such as ecu, cam, rebuilt gearbox, diff, whiteline suspension, bilstein shocks etc. The sound of it was awesome with its 3.5" and a fist sized centre muffler & rear resonator, it went well for a 5ltr. Fuel economy was poor, everything has a trade off and it did lay some mean smokey no brake take off burnouts. Probably what broke the rear IRS crossmember in half. :)

Maybe I was a little harsh on a lot of people earlier earlier, but the intent was pretty much right (must refrain from posting in the morning when still under influence of ANGRY sleeping drugs). So to all of you who do go to the track, my apologies. You are giving it a go so well done for having a try, regardless of lap times or track frequency. Those that don't but still big note or street race ||BURN||

I appreciate a bit of diversity so having guys like Vuster around is good. At the recent SAUVic Team Wang day at DECA we had the WRX crew along, having a great time (BTW a WRX won the day). We also had a couple of Falcons, Sylvias, some Lexus luxobarge, an R32 Golf and a nicely modded 350Z that handed me my arse on overall time taking 4th to my 6th. I don't mind at all. It was a brilliant day and the 2 nights of drinking that I missed sounded like a great time with all camps well represented. Would have been nice to have a HSV as well (hint Vuster for the next event on the pan)

It doesn't matter what you drive. You don't have to be violently parochial. Enjoy your ride and appreciate others rides. Maybe then random acts of car damage might decrease and less camp warfare conducted. Only good comes of diversity.

Love the sig Geoff though im a bit confused by it:confused:

LOL...im with Joel, im a bogan at heart. If i had coin id be driving a 68 Camaro, 93 Vette etc, it would be V8 powered:)

When i read these threads soemtimes you get a feeling that to some people cars are as much a fashion accessory as they are a means of transport and a bit of fun. Thats cool if thats what you want from a car, but thats not me, we are all different. The whole my car is better thing, i dont get it as im a car person...i love cars fullstop and appreciate each car for what they car do.

At the end of the day all our cars get done by a Magna or Camry as a road car...so dont get too upset:)

Love the sig Geoff though im a bit confused by it:confused:

I swear....you wrote it mate. Just a long time ago and I stumbled on it doing a search. I know a quotable quote when I see one.

Wanna know what I find pathetic? People that are all talk about how great their car is but don't see any circuit, or if they do actually get there, after talking it up perform dismally.

Here here. I've seen it too many times at the various track days I've been at. There will be plenty of people talking themselves up beforehand, but only a percentage of them show up. And those that do are only good at bench racing too. Get them into a bucket seat, and they're useless.

Its always the same. These guys have really nicely turned out cars (performance and appearance-wise), with their drivers strutting around before their first session. Once they get on the track, though, they get demolished by people in lower powered cars in the corners, but when they hit the straights they'll stomp it and won't let anyone past, because their egos won't let them get overtaken.

The amount of times I've gotten caught behind a Skyline or WRX around the back section of Wakefield or Eastern Creek and ridden their arses from 3-4 turns into the lap until we reach the main straight, where they step on it and put a couple of carlengths on me....its beyond counting.

I end up having to do stuff I don't want to do on an open day, like outbraking them into turns and diving up the inside. Most of these guys who make a surfeit of power are also the guys who jump on the brakes 10-20% earlier than they have to, which means if I don't make the braking manouvre I'm all over them by the exit to Turn 1-2 again.

That said, its the same deal when you are at the track..who cares if your fast or slow. As long as you having fun safely. People are so often obsessed about what others are doing (myslef included from time to time) when they should be more concerned about what they are doing:)

And its no sin if you dont go to the track, but all the ppl saying that their car handles awesome i think would be shocked if they took it to a track.

LOL...that said there is nothing healthier then some trash talk amongst friends when at the track:)

lol...This aint making sense basically, enjoy whatever however you like:)

Here here. I've seen it too many times at the various track days I've been at. There will be plenty of people talking themselves up beforehand, but only a percentage of them show up. And those that do are only good at bench racing too. Get them into a bucket seat, and they're useless.

Its always the same. These guys have really nicely turned out cars (performance and appearance-wise), with their drivers strutting around before their first session. Once they get on the track, though, they get demolished by people in lower powered cars in the corners, but when they hit the straights they'll stomp it and won't let anyone past, because their egos won't let them get overtaken.

The amount of times I've gotten caught behind a Skyline or WRX around the back section of Wakefield or Eastern Creek and ridden their arses from 3-4 turns into the lap until we reach the main straight, where they step on it and put a couple of carlengths on me....its beyond counting.

I end up having to do stuff I don't want to do on an open day, like outbraking them into turns and diving up the inside. Most of these guys who make a surfeit of power are also the guys who jump on the brakes 10-20% earlier than they have to, which means if I don't make the braking manouvre I'm all over them by the exit to Turn 1-2 again.

Sounds like you should be driving an AE86.

:Pimp2:

LOL...im with Joel, im a bogan at heart. If i had coin id be driving a 68 Camaro, 93 Vette etc, it would be V8 powered

I know where you are coming from Roy, I always wanted a '69 Mustang, just like Moffat's. :):):):)

Then I drove one for 4 weeks while a friend was away using my car. It drove like a XW Falcon, in fact most of the mechanical parts in it where interchangeable with a Futura. When he got back we took it to the ciruit for some fun, but we could only do 1 lap until the brakes were gone, 2 laps before the tyres cried enough and 3 laps before it lost oil pressure due to overheating. And my wife's stock standard Civic was faster, much faster. :chairshot

Shall I tell you the 'vette story about one breaking in half when the fibreglass failed? Or the Comaro convertible that lost its roof at 60kph?

Nah better not, it would only destroy the boyhood dreams.:)

Sounds like you should be driving an AE86.

:Pimp2:

Yeh go Takumi :)

Big heavy cars stomp it on the straights and don't let you overtake them? What do you think, cos you *could've* cornered harder than them they just gonna pull over and let you pass? lol

Look, I was a bit pissed, and kinda fishing...

But hang on fer a minute here.

Was I really that flaming??? (?)

I've had a quick read through my posts and I answered other peoples posts, point for point, then asked some questions back.

I HAD had quite a few drinks (check the time on the posts) and was thinking today that I'd probably been an right arse... But have I really? I was harsher than my sober "me" but really that bad?

I wasn't attacking any human at all. I was attacking HSVs, in a thread in a forum comparing HSVs and Skylines. WTF is wrong with that exactly? :confused:

No I don' think my car is invincible. Did I say that? Where?

I don't think I'm invincible, or even an excellent driver. On the street, yeah, I reckon I'm pretty good. But I've grown out of that and don't do it anymore - it is stupid - and I am going to the track. Hopefully to race with cars of many different kinds. At first I'll be nervous and trailing someone!

My old Silvia would give my GT-R a good run after the 60ft... until it's modded of course, and until the Silvia runs out of gears. But straight line is boooring, IMO :)

Forum: A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas...

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, in the same way you're all enititled to be Jesus with your preaching that I'm childish, that you're so grown up, and sit here quoting your long long Shumacher-equivalent ( :) ) racing history to validate your comments on - my opinion. (?)

PPL making judgements on me - :talk2hand

You don't know me, whether I can drive or not. So why judge?

And Vuster I didn't say YOU were an old man, I said "old men down the pub" - I was referring to the way guys grow up with their V8s, and into their late 30s still believe they are the best performers. Sure, in a TVR Griffith. One of these a HSV is not.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your car. I'd have boosted the S15 personally :)

And I did read most of the thread after my first post. You might've known that by the way I was quoting from it... :chairshot

Before you go bagging the Gen 3's LS1's or the Ls2 for that matter, the 1/4 mile record in Australia for a bolt on Gen 3, is 11.7.  These cars are pushing 260rwkw (tune, exhaust, cold air only mods) Try that with the standard turbo!!

That is impressive. Though - some citation?

I've googled around, and found them in the 11s with INTERNAL mods, by tuning shops. Seems those tuning shops are missing something...

Where you get that from?

Using a rough qtr calculator:

260rwkw + 50kw drivetrain loss = 310 kw = 425hp.

1600kg = 3524lb

Put that in a rough (yes, estimate) qtr calc and you get 12.5. Big difference with that and an 11.7...

That come from memory perhaps Robo's? Your memory like mine? :D

EDIT: I'll go a step further and say that's BS. A 220rwkw Silvia (1200kg ish) runs high 11s or 12s. 400kg diff, and only 40 more rwkw - and they're faster? They'd would HAVE to be lightened...

Years ago just before I obtained my license my old man restored an old SLR5000 from scratch.

Everything was rebuilt, diff, gearbox, motor. The motor had a little work done to it with a nice lumpy cam that you could feel the pulses through the extractors that transfered through the floorpan and steering wheel.

It was friggin awesome driving in it around the block with no doors, sitting on a milk crate.

The sound and raw beasty feeling that had was awesome.

It also went suprisingly well. Give it too much stick off the line and first was able to wheel spin up the 265's easily, click second the arse would swing nice and slowly side to side until you clicked third.

I still remember driving down the road looking out the back window watching the arse end's rear spoiler dip against the horizon. :D

It was sprayed canary yellow with the typical SLR5000 black bonnet and black roof.

It also ran the 'typical' gold hotwires. :D

Mum made Dad sell it. I still remember hearing them arguing, it finished with "Its not a old mans car its a young boys car"

Damn it. :(

Years ago just before I obtained my license my old man restored an old SLR5000 from scratch.

Everything was rebuilt, diff, gearbox, motor. The motor had a little work done to it with a nice lumpy cam that you could feel the pulses through the extractors that transfered through the floorpan and steering wheel.  

It was friggin awesome driving in it around the block with no doors, sitting on a milk crate.

The sound and raw beasty feeling that had was awesome.

It also went suprisingly well. Give it too much stick off the line and first was able to wheel spin up the 265's easily, click second the arse would swing nice and slowly side to side until you clicked third.

I still remember driving down the road looking out the back window watching the arse end's rear spoiler dip against the horizon. :D

It was sprayed canary yellow with the typical SLR5000 black bonnet and black roof.

It also ran the 'typical' gold hotwires. :D

Mum made Dad sell it. I still remember hearing them arguing, it finished with "Its not a old mans car its a young boys car"

Damn it. :(

Yup, women eh?

Luckily I have a good deal with mine - I get car stuff, within reason - and she get's a holiday to Europe (me too!) and a big diamond at some point...

All about trading :)

Then, I think I'm lucky in that respect... :elaugh:

Well...just spent goodness knows how long reading this whole thread. Sure can tell when people just replied without reading how polite and genuine Vuster has been.

But just to let you know Vuster, My R33 with an RB20E would in no way whoop, cream or destroy your car off the lights, on a track or falling from a tall building.

Personally I like the look of my car better, but I like the look of commodores over falcons...so you got that part right at least :(

I'm all for you joining the club and/or going to track days and putting some people in their place too:)

And for all the people saying you need to race on the track for an opinion...I KNOW that my car won't beat much..and I didn't need to go to the track to find out lol :D

Andrewwr32, I don't know why you bother to reply if you don't even bother to read the thread. At least you will know what and who you are flaming about. If you're here to shit stir then I'm not the type of person who wants to shit stir back.  It doesn't send a good image of the poster to the rest of the members.

Since you're singling me out, which has in fact pissed me off, allow me to retort:

"At least you will know what and who you are flaming about"

I didn't flame you, if I did it was in jest (did I miss a wink or a smiley)?

I was plain and simply giving shit to the Holden HSV - flaming it, yeah. But I know what I'm flaming, right? As has been said, way better than a ford, but that's no mean achievement. I drive a (new, low end) falcon MKII. It has ~500 kms, of which I've done 489.

Why am I giving the HSV shit? It's very overpriced for it's performance and technology. Need more power? BIGGER CYLINDERS! It's been done to death. Horrid fuel consumption. My RB26 chews nothing anywhere near a 6L V8.

Holden build quality is poor. Countless horror stories from new owners that have come from everywhere, even ACA I think.

Also, I cannot wait to race one. From the lights, public road, I don't give a shit. You may or may not realise (since you've researched me) a lot of my friends are V8 heads, and don't like "rice burners". I can even eat rice. It sure don't go near my car.

Anyway; your purpose has been fulfilled - checking if your mate's car will be faster. I think I'd have named the thread after what I was looking for, but that's just me.

If you car is a manual and his is an auto R33 with minimal mods, you have a very good chance I reckon. In fact if I were driving the HSV, I'd bet money on myself.

Because it's auto.

Anyway peace; I was overboard, but I stand by my points, and dislike what I sensed to be a personal attack.