SAU Community

6 litre hsv

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Vuster, hows the car settling in, and will we see you at the next track day (at least for a hello and watch the racing)?

Hi mate. Yeah car is all well and good. Finally got the car tinted and had to replace all 4 tyres. 2 back ones were completely worn out due to the media abuse. The car is build no. 003 and was a journo car so it's been around the bush.

$2000 for a set of 19 inch tyres was a bit much though.

Also tint professor sux. Cheap at 250 but I had 2 spears, one on each of the front windows. One spear didn't go away so I had to get it redone. Another spear popped up and I had to keep pushing it down till it completely dryed out.

Good service but bad quality for anyone who's interested.

I'll like to come to track. Post me next time you go and I'll tag along just to spectate.

Vuster, show up to sandown on the 12th of June for the SAU/WRX track day.... highlight of the day, the racepace GTR ;)

Can't Ferni. I got a fishing trip that long weekend up in nsw.

What's wrong with your msn?

Hell yeah the racepace GTR is what god drives when not towing the caravan ;)

Sorry to hear about the tyres. I was looking at some Pirelli 285/18" Porsche Cups today for the GTR, but glad I'm not paying new. I have second hand dealers I go to so about $100 each for slightly used 17"s from Europe.

Thanks for the tip on Tint professor. I need to get some done.

No need to be sorry about my tyres. It was charged on my fleet card. Admin had a chat with me a few days later because I only had the car for 2 months. Had to explain that they were bald when I purchased it. I had the pirelli's but went with the Good year 245/35 F1's cos I hear they are good in the wet.

Dunlop 9000SP is the best I've found yet on the track, but a bit squealy so you hear the limit even in a helmet. They replaced the F1 Eagles I had which until the Dunlops where the best I'd found so good choice.

Pity we won't see you at Sandown. You will miss an awesome sight. Good luck with the fishing.

• 2 weeks later...
Timbo, sorry to burst your bubble mate but with the mods you mentioned you will not achieve much better than the 6.0/6.1 sec factory specs of the standard manual 'line.

When the factory goes out to determine the 0-100 time they spend many hours with a professional test driver about the size of a 13 year old, with minimum fuel in the tank and possibly all ancillaries removed from the boot, and they practice until perfect. Then they run a small number of sprints to 100 and take an average. All factories do this.

Auto magazines constantly compare the factory time against the best they can do in real world conditions, often with a passenger, and never come close.

Now maybe you can improve a little with the new exhaust and a cat replacement pipe, but at the same time the extra power will make it harder not to slip into wheelspin. Then you will have to spend on engine management, a decent turbo, good rubber, suspension (not the rock hard Jap stuff) as the standard stuff is nasty for axle tramp, pineapples to allow some rear squat and a good yet forgiving organic clutch that will allow some slip without burning up.

Given that a GTR does 4.7-4.9 factory figures you are looking at making some serious mumbo and just monstering it to get over the 5.0 second line. I have spent a fair bit of my life racing, and I think I'm fairly reasonable and consistent but I doubt my GTS25t track car would go under 5.0 even once the twin turbo setup is sorted with a target of 280rwkw.

Guys I think even mildly modded we're a long way from mowing the 6.0 as easy as everyone thinks.

Well mate i dunno what to say ... the stopwatch doesn't lie if you ask me. i Have 265 tyres on the rear and coilover suspension. But my speedo went from 0 - 100 in 5.2 secs. I have also raced hsv - not the 6 litre but the vy series 2 clubsports (285kw) and i beat them up until 100 after that the big 8 rumbles on past.

Then I'd suggest take it to the strip or use a proper data logger as the stopwatch can be started late.

Perhaps you have some drag timeslips as I can then interpolate 1-100 times from that, include the Dynosheet that demonstrates you have around 260rwkw as well. I suspect from your comment above the engine is pretty basic now.

Maybe at the next race engineering seminar later this month I'll let Claude Rouelle (see the Motec website for info) know that someone has found a better way to launch a skyline (or any car) that proves us all in the engineering world wrong. Can I give him your number?

yeh god on u for posting it in here....ive got a vl calais turbo(which is 4 sale)and i also think holdens are great cars,but i now also like my r32 gtr much more than the vl turbo,its got high mount t04b custom extracters,3inch zorst,big ass cooler,forgies etc and my gtr would blow it to peices.and yeh put some pics of ur beast up aye

A mates mate the other day had a SS with some work done to it and was paying out jap cars etc.. i turned around and said whenever you want to line up let me know, he knew i'd kill him, so turned around and said 'sure lets see how youd go towing 2 tonne trailor and 5 people' my comment was 'are we racing or are we taking the kids and caravan on a holiday'

On that note.....if I had more dollars than sense, something I've always wanted to do is get a Viper and strap twin turbos to it, and just build it up to make stupid levels of power and torque.

I'd just love to hit a highway in the Viper while towing a 12ft yacht or something, and then stomp it next to a light tune turbo import, Aussie V8, or Euro muscle. Assuming I didn't rip the towbar off the car or get flung off the road, I can just imagine the other driver's face watching as the back of my car runs past their A-pillar...........followed closely by a boat :)

Going on the speedo and stop watch i can do 0-100km/h in about 3 seconds. All it takes is a big 2nd gear burnout and the speedo swings straight past 100km.h:)

Seriously speedos are inaccurate, mine is anyway by 7km/h at 110km/h...then on top of that you have to worry about timing errors.:)

Seriously speedos are inaccurate, mine is anyway by 7km/h at 110km/h...then on top of that you have to worry about timing errors.:)

Stop worrying and just learn to rely on dumb luck. :)

With any luck your speedo error and timing error will cancel each other out, and you'll get an accurate measurement! :jump:

First up, i respect you for putting this post up even though your going to get alot of youngins dissin you for your ride.

not me, i own a 33 gts-t and still love holdens, my family owns 2 of em, vt exec wagon ( gets the chicks :Pimp2: lol ) and a vy ss ute, love that ute, it goes :uh-huh:

I would expect a few to say the following so I'll type it before they do:

1)Holdens are crap etc etc

2)Holdens are slow etc etc.

3)Why buy a holden etc etc.

4)GTR's rock and will leave anything for dead.

5)Why spend 60K+ on a car when you can buy something 1/3 of the price, mod it and have a rocket.

6)I am not a stereo typical v8 driving bogun. I do eat rice and last ride was a S15.

7)holdens look crap

8)holdens are too heavy

This talk is best left to other forums, See thread on XR6Turbo forum,

I also don't condone or advocate drag races on the street.

However, very nice Clubbie (?) It's good to see the australian muscle cars getting some balls back after they were ripped out of them by the beaurocrats in the late 70's. Love all the oldschool 8's, and the new Clubbie and (FPV) GT are great cars

Going on the speedo and stop watch i can do 0-100km/h in about 3 seconds. All it takes is a big 2nd gear burnout and the speedo swings straight past 100km.h:)

Seriously speedos are inaccurate, mine is anyway by 7km/h at 110km/h...then on top of that you have to worry about timing errors.:P

My speedo seems to be pretty accurate tested it at diffirent speed with a GPS was accurate at every speed even high speeds which surprised me.

You should be about to get with .1 or .2 of a second with a stop watch do 3 or 4 runs and take an average. Give a reasonbly good indication I get arround 5.2

:)

I currently own a 6 litre HSV

I searched and couldn't find answer/and or comments on these;

How much did you pay for it? How many GTST's can I buy for that?

How fast is it in the rain? Our GTR's are just as fast.

How fast is on a bumpy/dirty road surface? Our GTR's are just as fast.

That's the advantage of a GTST on a performance per dollars basis they are unbeatable. The additional advantage of a GTR is traction.:)

I searched and couldn't find answer/and or comments on these;

"How much did you pay for it? How many GTST's can I buy for that?"

About 53K on road. That's 1 late model R34GTT and 15K change for mods? Or 4 R32 GTSTS? Or 3 GTSTS? Or 1 good nick 96 R33 GTR? Or half a R34 GTR?

But then again it's more relevant to compare new price with new price.

"How fast is it in the rain? Our GTR's are just as fast."

Yeah.. your GTRs are probably fast as or faster in the dry so the answer is obvious.

"How fast is on a bumpy/dirty road surface? Our GTR's are just as fast."

Yeah that answer is obvious too. All to do with 4w4 and chasis design. Sports chasis vs family chasis?

"That's the advantage of a GTST on a performance per dollars basis they are unbeatable. The additional advantage of a GTR is traction.:cheers"

No arguments there.

You have overlooked the practicality advantage of the HSV. It's a family sports car not raw sports car like GTR. I can ask you some questions back:

1)Can you tow a boat or trailor?

2)Do you get any lag?

3)Can you have a full car load and not feel a substantial change in accelleration rate?

4)Do you have warranty?

5)Are there lots of service centers that specialize in your car?

6)And last but not least, do you have much space in the back to make out with your partner? hahaha