SAU Community

6 litre hsv

"

1)Can you tow a boat or trailor?

2)Do you get any lag?

3)Can you have a full car load and not feel a substantial change in accelleration rate?

4)Do you have warranty?

5)Are there lots of service centers that specialize in your car?

6)And last but not least, do you have much space in the back to make out with your partner? hahaha

1) no it wouldnt be practical tow a boat with a skyline, but then again i would use a landcruiser before a holden or ford for any boat over 5.5 metres.

2) yes i get lag, but it can be beneficial if you want to conserve petrol.

3) icant see how having 5 people in a car wont back it feel slower?

4) most jap import dealers offer warranty with their cars.

5) yes there is enough around, and parts generally arent too expensive

6) not sure how big your parnter is, but mine is skinny so she has no trouble fitting in the back! plus we have less windows (more privacy!)

also if you have a look in the classified section there was a really nice 2000 model R34 GTR with 40,oookm, silver with some basic mods (PFC, exhaust) going for low 60's.... so nowhere near 100G

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) no it wouldnt be practical tow a boat with a skyline, but then again i would use a landcruiser before a holden or ford for any boat over 5.5 metres.

2) yes i get lag, but it can be beneficial if you want to conserve petrol.

3) icant see how having 5 people in a car wont back it feel slower?

4) most jap import dealers offer warranty with their cars.

5) yes there is enough around, and parts generally arent too expensive

6) not sure how big your parnter is, but mine is skinny so she has no trouble fitting in the back! plus we have less windows (more privacy!)

I thought my points were relatively valid.

If you wanted to tow a boat and have speed I'm sure you wouldn't pick the landcruiser. Same can be said about if your aim is speed why not just get a motor bike? Depends on the individual. My boat is 4.5 meters and I towed it with a V6 easily. But you're right the larger the boat the more strain it'll put on the car so go the 4x4. It depends if you want a full on sports car, full on family car, or in between? That's why I got rid of my silvia to get my current ride. If I was young forever and didn't need space then yeah sure I would of stuck with a small jap car.

I started this thread asking about purely straight line performance because I know that comparing other areas is pointless because the answers would be obvious or not worth comparing.

As for the having more weight in the car, you will feel "LESS" of an impact in a larger car. Add one or 2 passengers in the S15 and it feels like a dog. Add that amount to my car and the power difference is not enough for me to take notice of.

I would hardly compare statutory warranty with those that dealers issue. I have both statutory and dealer used car warranty. The dealer used car warranty I would take as a grain of salt because it has all these conditions on it.

Sorry, please don't quote me on the prices I wrote for the skylines as it depends on age of car etc. I'm no expert on them and are basing it on prices that I saw awhile ago. A R34 GTR for 60K I would definitely be interested in if it was in good nick and if I was in the market for a 2nd car.

I thought my points were relatively valid.

Sorry, please don't quote me on the prices I wrote for the skylines as it depends on age of car etc. I'm no expert on them and are basing it on prices that I saw awhile ago. A R34 GTR for 60K I would definitely be interested in if it was in good nick and if I was in the market for a 2nd car.

yes, but everyone has their own opinion.

I saw it on here a few weeks ago.. It was a dentists car and looked immaculate...

Hi guys,

I currently own a 6 litre HSV and I am interested to get some opinions from the majority of skyline gtst and gtr owners. My question is, if you were stuck at a traffic light and a 6 litre HSV was about to drag you, do you think you will win? If so, by how much?

If not, what mods do you think you will need in order for the race to be close? Also how much power will the mods give you?

For those who don't know much about the 6 litre holden. Here are the specs:

* 297kw

* 1690kg

* 5.1(auto) 5.2(manual) 0-100:manufacturers time.

The HSV would beat me. I have a stock R32 GTR. At the lights the HSV has more torque down low, and I'm not game to fry my clutch with a clutch dump, and dragging over the speed limit is a bad idea - where the RB26DETT shines is at the mid-range and top end.

You have overlooked the practicality advantage of the HSV. It's a family sports car not raw sports car like GTR. I can ask you some questions back:
1) Can you tow a boat or trailor?

Yep, I have the Stagea for that, tows the R32's (GTR and GTST) very well, all over the country. Gets the boat up the boat ramp even when its slippery too, bet you have problems. :throwup:

2) Do you get any lag?

The Stagea has over 4000 newtons at all 4 wheels at 2,750 rpm, that's 500 newtons more than the SS ute. It makes boost on the torque converter stall, that's 2,300 rpm, it has double the torque of your car for a wheelspinless launch. :uh-huh: :uh-huh:

3) Can you have a full car load and not feel a substantial change in accelleration rate?

Shoot I can have the race car trailer on the back and still out accelerate your car in the wet. :Pimp2:

4) Do you have warranty?

Yep, 4 years or 100,000k's, cost me $300 because Nissans are reliable. :innocent:

5) Are there lots of service centers that specialize in your car?

The truth is they don't need services like our Commondoors do. I do my own sevices anyway, the only thing warranty and dealer service departments are good for is replacement parts. I am not going to leave my car at some dealer for a whole day just to change brake pads. I can do it in an hour and drive my car for the rest of the day. Plus they will most likely get some snotty nosed apprentice to work on it anyway, after all they make more money using the cheapest labour possible. :thumbdwn:

6) And last but not least, do you have much space in the back to make out with your partner? hahaha

It's a waggon, I could fit a double bed in there. But that's not the point, with the amount of money I saved buying and servicing I can afford the best hotel room in town. Far more comfortable and impressive that the back seat of a taxi. :thankyou:

The problem is for a lot less than $53K I have a Stagea, an R32GTR or an R32GTST. The GTR and the GTST are both much faster than your car and the Stagea does everything else better as well. Then there is the REAL cost, the fact is I can sell all 3 of them for more than they cost me. You, on the other hand, are going to loose ~$30K in depreciation and lease costs over its life, and that's if you are real lucky.

For what I do and what I use my cars for, I think I have better deal for my money, it's that simple. :stupid:;):):):):)

Yep, I have the Stagea for that, tows the R32's (GTR and GTST) very well, all over the country.  Gets the boat up the boat ramp even when its slippery too, bet you have problems. :throwup:

The Stagea has over 4000 newtons at all 4 wheels at 2,750 rpm, that's 500 newtons more than the SS ute.  It makes boost on the torque converter stall, that's 2,300 rpm, it has double the torque of your car for a wheelspinless launch. :uh-huh:  :uh-huh:  

Shoot I can have the race car trailer on the back and still out accelerate your car in the wet.  :Pimp2:  

Yep, 4 years or 100,000k's, cost me $300 because Nissans are reliable. :innocent:  

The truth is they don't need services like our Commondoors do.  I do my own sevices anyway, the only thing warranty and dealer service departments are  good for is replacement parts.  I am not going to leave my car at some dealer for a whole day just to change brake pads.  I can do it in an hour and drive my car for the rest of the day.  Plus they will most likely get some snotty nosed apprentice to work on it anyway, after all they make more money using the cheapest labour possible. :thumbdwn:  

It's a waggon, I could fit a double bed in there.  But that's not the point, with the amount of money I saved buying and servicing I can afford the best hotel room in town.  Far more comfortable and impressive that the back seat of a taxi. :thankyou:  

The problem is for a lot less than $53K I have a Stagea, an R32GTR or an R32GTST.  The GTR and the GTST are both much faster than your car and the Stagea does everything else better as well.  Then there is the REAL cost, the fact is I can sell all 3 of them for more than they cost me.  You, on the other hand, are going to loose ~$30K in depreciation and lease costs over its life, and that's if you are real lucky.

For what I do and what I use my cars for, I think I have better deal for my money, it's that simple. :stupid:  ;)  :)  :)  :)  :)

I thought we were comparing a GTST/GTR. Since when did the StageEA come into the equation? What is it? I've never heard of it. Sounds like a beefed up truck to me.

Skylinegeoff is right. If you want the best of everything you need a car for each occassion. Something that only a few individuals are fortunate enough to cater for. Be it cost, garage space, or time to maintain them. You're one of these people who can have all. You sound like you know a bit about cars since you maintain your vehicles youself. For the rest of us who aren't lucky enough to cater for this we have to find A vehicle which will best suit our purpose.

That mini is crazy..who's driving it? Mr Bean?

Vuster, just curious, how much does it cost you for a full tank of petrol? I'm sure it's heaps more than a skyline. Friend's GTO drinks petrol like us drinking water. Revs a few times at 5000-6000rpms on the road and u can see the fuel meter going down. Is that usual for these HSVs?

That doesn't seem a normal SK post above.......you off your game mate or is SOSK playing with your 'puter?

Nope it's me, this is an SAU forum, interlopers need to be put in their place. :sadam:

For heavens sake, he doesn't even know what a Stagea is :chairshot

Talk about the great unwashed :kick:

Occassionally I like to let it out and use a few smilies :uh-huh:

What's wrong with that? :Pimp2:

Stage is well basicly a skyline wagon 2.5 all wheel drive turbo sports wagon (have search for one on the net.)

This Thread is quite good i was thinking as i read the subject that it was going to be an ear bashing but most ppl have put forward good points on both sides, now for my 2 cents

I have a GTST 216rwkw r33 that apperently only weights 1260kg (thats what the rego papers say i dont believe it) no with your car being what 1600kgs and 300kw at the motor so whats that 245rwkw, plus the nice set of olims in the car i will get traction eventualy, the maths are there.

but i would hate to try and tow something, and as for fuel well i use 3/4 tank to get to sydney from canberra 3hours at 110kph and you probley get alot more out of a tank or = size, so it all comes down to 2.5L that munchs shit but no towing and no fuel economy or something that can have close to power with a 6L but can tow.

That mini is crazy..who's driving it? Mr Bean?

Vuster, just curious, how much does it cost you for a full tank of petrol? I'm sure it's heaps more than a skyline. Friend's GTO drinks petrol like us drinking water. Revs a few times at 5000-6000rpms on the road and u can see the fuel meter going down. Is that usual for these HSVs?

Full tank is around $80 using optimax based on 75litre capactiy. I haven't noticed seeing the fuel meter going down the way you have but when I first got the car it drank like crazy. 22 litres/100kms but now things have settled down and the car is chewing about 15 litres/100km.

Full tank is around $80 using optimax based on 75litre capactiy. I haven't noticed seeing the fuel meter going down the way you have but when I first got the car it drank like crazy. 22 litres/100kms but now things have settled down and the car is chewing about 15 litres/100km.

haha.. You mean YOU have settled down. :)

Nope it's me, this is an SAU forum, interlopers need to be put in their place.

:)

Just didn't sound like our normal, friendly, help anyone SK ;)

Did you have a race meeting at PI on the weekend? How did that go?

If you want the best of everything you need a car for each occassion. Something that only a few individuals are fortunate enough to cater for.  Be it cost, garage space, or time to maintain them. You're one of these people who can have all. You sound like you know a bit about cars since you maintain your vehicles youself. For the rest of us who aren't lucky enough to cater for this we have to find A vehicle which will best suit our purpose.

Hang on, you spent $53K on one vehicle and I spent way less than that on 2. One is faster everywhere and the other is better at everything else than your choice. It doesn't matter that I do the maintenance myself, I have more than enough change from $53K to get both cars serviced for many years. There is even enough change to rent another garage if need be.

What you are trying to support is the point of view that the "one car" you have is better than the "one car" someone else has. My view is that you spent "$53K" and I spent "way less" and have a demonstrably better result.

That's purpose of my responses, to point out that there is more than one way to skin the cat. That and have a bit of fun at the same time.:)

Hang on, you spent $53K on one vehicle and I spent way less than that on 2.  One is faster everywhere and the other is better at everything else than your choice.  It doesn't matter that I do the maintenance myself, I have more than enough change from $53K to get both cars serviced for many years.  There is even enough change to rent another garage if need be.

What you are trying to support is the point of view that the "one car" you have is better than the "one car" someone else has.  My view is that you spent "$53K" and I spent "way less" and have a demonstrably better result.

That's purpose of my responses, to point out that there is more than one way to skin the cat.   That and have a bit of fun at the same time.:)

No offence mate but whatever I have written I was referring to myself. I did not preach that my car is suitable for everyone. Just as I don't criticise you for have your 3 cars to suit your purpose. That's great that you can buy 3 of your cars while I can only buy one car. That is not my aim. I have one garage and I don't have time to get multiple cars serviced.

At no stage that I am saying my car is better than yours. I have only highlighted the good points of each car and sharing my experience. I don't know what you are trying to achieve with your negative comments but if it makes you laugh, good on you.