SAU Community

6 litre hsv

Or worse.. A Corolla with a huge arsed Milo-Tin. hehe :(

On the topic of Milo-Tins... What is it with VT+ V8's being fitted up with stupid looking Milo-Tins in Adelaide?

I think I started the Milo tim on the Commodore thing... hehe..

I had a JUN cannon Installed bout 1.5-2 years ago on my supercharged VT... :D

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT's a cool sig monk dude :D

You mean on foot?

:(

My Supra is almost US spec... Which by factory times is a 5.3 second 0-100...

I can't drive for sh!t though so he would still win... haha.

Edit: My mistake... corrected the times.

How do you guys find this statement, I found on another forum, comparing the LS2 and RB26DETT, most people claim that the LS2 is better than an RB26, heres the post:

QUOTE:

anyway, back to the engines themselves: the RB26DETT and LS2 are internal combusties... and when all is said and done, sorry nissan folk, but the LS2 has more "quote, unquote" - POTENTIAL.

It's bigger. It has more cylinders. It is a larger air compressor.

When it comes down to it, that's the balls of it buddies. How much air can you push thru that motor. The LS2, after strapping on the induction aids like turbos and superchargers, will push MORE AIR than an RB26DETT.

It's BIGGER for goodness sakes! Almost 3 friggin times the displacement!

Sure its got a lower RPM range, but thats mainly because its BIGGER!

My electric toothbrush revs out to 15,000 rpm.... not because it is a feat of engineering excellence, but because the thing is bloody 1 cm wide! And again, the 25,000hp engine powering an oceanliner is lucky to get 8rpm... because it is the size of a small building.

It's all relative.

The Nissan Skyline GT-R wins because it is a smart package with an adequate drivetrain - by adequate I mean its strong enough to do the job and it has good aftermarket support. PERIOD.

The LS1 and LS2, by itself, when comparing it to the "engine only" RB26DETT, will be superior since its nigh on 6 litres of air-pushing power every 4 strokes. So if you want to win a battle on paper then sure, the LS2 has more potential.

But of course that is just stating the obvious.

Question: Which air compressor has more potential?

Answer: Duh.... umm.... the BIGGER air compressor?!

CAPTAIN FRIGGIN OBVIOUS TO THE RESCUE AGAIN!

END QUOTE

Also:

QUOTE:

An LS2 in a GTR, would be more suited than an RB26DETT in a GTR this is because, The LS2 is shorter and sits lower in the engine bay (no OHC remember?) therefore IMPROVING the weight distribution of the car. And on top of all of that it only weighs about 5-10 kg's more than the RB (easily made up because there's no intercooler on the LS2). But like I said, because the weight is further back and lower it's actually better.

And, unlike the RB it doesn't have that torque hole below 3000rpm before the turbo's boost up. It makes virtually all of it's torque from idle to redline. And let's not even talk about NA vs turbo throttle response.

END QUOTE

Sounds like you should be driving an AE86.

:Pimp2:

Nah, I'm not that quick. I'm about average, at best.

One of the guys I work with should be delivering tofu, though.

We went down to Wakefield on Saturday, and there were 2 R32 GT-Rs down there. The drivers were reasonable (quick enough to catch me, anyway) but he ran down the pair of them, and manage to overtake one.

The two guys came up to us after the session and rated him, saying that they could not shake him loose throughout the entire back section and could only put a decent gap on him down the main straight.

The look on the faces of the guys when they found out his car was stock (aside from rims and a set of second hand tyres that were discarded from a Lotus Cup race team) was priceless. They had a hard enough time believing they got caught in the first place.

I don't think its every day that a pair of light-mod GT-Rs get chased down, in the wet, by a dead stock Hyundai Elantra that's carrying a driver and his girlfriend.....

Big heavy cars stomp it on the straights and don't let you overtake them? What do you think, cos you *could've* cornered harder than them they just gonna pull over and let you pass? lol

Its not that I *can" corner harder than them. I *do* corner harder.

I'm not sure if these guys are checking their mirrors at the same rate they should be on the street (every 5-8 seconds) and you go from nothing in the rear view mirror, to a vehicle on the horizon, to being able to read their license plate...its not a "might have cornered harder", since we're not playing a computer game and "catch up assistance" isn't turned on.

If someone catches me I'll wave them past at the next straight section. There's not much point holding other people up (or forcing them to do something rash to pass me) and putting pressure on myself to overdrive, and so ruin it for everyone. The guy in front knows the guy behind is breathing on them, so they start trying to push harder, and for most "open day" drivers (me included) they just get sloppier and end up going slower.

Its one reason why I prefer doing CAMS practice days to a regular "open day". The people on there are a bit more experienced and courteous.

An LS2 in a GTR, would be more suited than an RB26DETT in a GTR

Reminds me of some bench racing I did with some mates a while ago, and we talked about the most offensive things we could try and make.

I think I eventually won by saying I'd get an R34 GT-R, drop an LS1 (this was a pre LS2 conversation) in it, with a Supra 5 speed and a Ford 9 inch diff in a live rear axle.

Top the exterior off with a set of front foggies like an Evo and a bonnet shovel...I mean scoop... like an STi, deck it on 20" chrome spinners and there are few people I couldn't offend with it. :P

Reminds me of some bench racing I did with some mates a while ago, and we talked about the most offensive things we could try and make.

I think I eventually won by saying I'd get an R34 GT-R, drop an LS1 (this was a pre LS2 conversation) in it, with a Supra 5 speed and a Ford 9 inch diff in a live rear axle.

Top the exterior off with a set of front foggies like an Evo and a bonnet shovel...I mean scoop... like an STi, deck it on 20" chrome spinners and there are few people I couldn't offend with it. :P

I think dropping a CA20E into a GTR would be pretty offensive! :zzz:

But seriously. You think that the RB26DETT is inferior because it has smaller displacement and a torque hole? LOL. The GTR was developed to win Group A races, and 2.6L would be the maximum displacement for the class (with forced induction). The HSV had no similar design restrictions.

My Supra is almost US spec...  Which by factory times is a 5.3 second 0-100...  

I can't drive for sh!t though so he would still win... haha.

Edit: My mistake... corrected the times.

Yeh I was joking, I saw the Supra bit and they are great cars...

Dude, if you seriously can't drive too good be damn careful! If I had a car like that when I started driving, well I'd be dead.

I was just dumb as a young driver...

Nah better not, it would only destroy the boyhood dreams.:P

That is and isnt the point:) The Camaro would be the ultimate cruiser, it would all be about the sound and just driving the thing...then the flip side is if you somehow get the thing to stop, turn and go then its an engineering challenge:)

As for LS2, it is a silly comaprison, the displacement of the thing puts it in another league, just like the Vipers 8.0L V10. And reading articles on the LS2 they are getting some damn respectable fuel economy numbers...damn computers/efi seems to have worked wonders on the these things.

LOL..its my turn to stir the pot, the venerabel 304 Holdne V8 beat the mighty GTR at Bathurst:) Had nothing to do with the engines, but taken out of context you cant argue that the old 5.0L pushrod Hodlen V8 beat the purpose built GTR:)

If your going to throw any other engine in a GTR it would have to be a 4.0L six from the TVRs, the things are dry sumped std for gods sake...who needs sump baffles:)

...and for the record at a CAMS practice day in the wet recently me and a guy in a nicely sorted LS1 Monaro were playing with one another, until a 1.5L Charade with a pod filter and springs blew us away:(

Yeh I was joking, I saw the Supra bit and they are great cars...

Dude, if you seriously can't drive too good be damn careful! If I had a car like that when I started driving, well I'd be dead. 

I was just dumb as a young driver...

I am not that bad a driver... Just not too good with the Manual gearboxes yet as I have always been an auto driver, and as I don't drive the car everyday (I have a daily driver) I don't get as much practice as I could.

I think dropping a CA20E into a GTR would be pretty offensive!

But its still Nissan so it only aggravates Nissan enthusiasts.

I figured, slotting a pushrod V8 into a GT-R would insult Skyline and Commodore fans.

I still remember how much grief I copped when I posted my "ultimate car with no budget" on another forum, and I said I wanted an RX-8 with an SR20DET. The rotorheads started whinging about why I'd drop their beloved engine, and all the Nissan die-hards were wondering why I'd sully their favourite 4-pot by dropping it in a Mazda. :P

Most of the "V8 lovers" (i.e. one-make lovers) I've talked to have always said the RB motors were shit, even moreso than the other V6s in Commodores (which they weren't particularly fond of either).