SAU Community

6 litre hsv

want to lend me one of your 5 cars for a few weeks while Troy has mine :thumbsup:

ps i like purple, it goes well with my stuff... may that help your decision :cheers:

I have a purple car too, sorry no, you can't borrow it:cheers:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old (and new) Jap technology vs new aussie stuff the aussie stuff needs 6L vs the Jap stuff 2.5t 2.6tt

And we need turbos, 18psi, intercoolers, boost controllers etc etc to keep up with aussie stuff:)

Im a car lover, and can see the good in every car...except Geoffs new abomination:) Cheaterer:)

Hi guys,

I currently own a 6 litre HSV and I am interested to get some opinions from the majority of skyline gtst and gtr owners. My question is, if you were stuck at a traffic light and a 6 litre HSV was about to drag you, do you think you will win? If so, by how much?

If not, what mods do you think you will need in order for the race to be close? Also how much power will the mods give you?

For those who don't know much about the 6 litre holden. Here are the specs:

* 297kw

* 1690kg

* 5.1(auto) 5.2(manual) 0-100:manufacturers time.

I would expect a few to say the following so I'll type it before they do:

1)Holdens are crap etc etc

2)Holdens are slow etc etc.

3)Why buy a holden etc etc.

4)GTR's rock and will leave anything for dead.

5)Why spend 60K+ on a car when you can buy something 1/3 of the price, mod it and have a rocket.

6)I am not a stereo typical v8 driving bogun. I do eat rice and last ride was a S15.

7)holdens look crap

8)holdens are too heavy

This thread is not an attempt to mock either skylines or holdens but to see what mods/power levels a skyline will need to have a close race with a 6litre holden. Also to see if there is in fact any respect from the majority of skyline owners for the holden.

As expected, theyre crap. My 33 with a bit of boost and an ecu eats them for lunch, just... The first victim was a monaro and up a hill too, the second was a maloo ute on the flat to the end of 3rd gear. My car consistently pulled away.

-rb25

The subject says 6L, so yes they had the 297kw badge on them with the flutes in the front quarters. When will holden realise, like Ford, that technology like DOHC and forced induction is the way to go for power.

Obviously my car has more that the stated mods like exhaust, cam gear etc., but these are standard mods for skylines. I found the 6L V8's to rev out very slowly. They are still a very lazy engine.

we all know holdens and fords are shit. I watched my boss in his 4.0L V6 2tonne Toyota Prado with 3 of us and all our Nandos for lunch juuuust drag off a 230kW 6sp man. SS commondore owned by a co-worker. he was not impressed with his new SS. what a joke.

rb25

The subject says 6L, so yes they had the 297kw badge on them with the flutes in the front quarters. When will holden realise, like Ford, that technology like DOHC and forced induction is the way to go for power.

You must be dragging in the states against a PONTIAC as I don't recall a aussie monaro having a ls2 engine. Maybe you are referring to the HSV GTO.

I hope you're still not judging the car on the Prado experience.

You must be dragging in the states as I don't recall a aussie monaro having a ls2 engine. Maybe you are referring to the HSV GTO.

HSV/Holden, same thing. I live on the gold coast too, not america.

Well they make more power than ur car does... lol

Its the weight that holds these cars back, however they are family sport cars and need to be large for this reason, thus they do a fairly good job at offering all the features needed for a family but still having a sport aspect to them (space, tow bars, roof racks etc)!

Ford do have a 4l 6cyl DOHC turbo car as well remember...

I love my Nissans more than anything, but you cant hack away at these cars as they serve their purpose well. And they make 300kw versions of te 5.7L V8s so they'll introduce a 300+kw version of the 6L HSVs too im sure :rofl:

To add, Ive had my R33 GTS-T weight and it came in at 1320kg. Significantly lighter, obviously this, the mods and the 7000rmp limit is the key. It's not hard.

this concludes my little bitch sesh.

-rb25

You actually got the car weighed somewhere??

What was the exact weight, ive always thought r33 1320kg figure is bullshit personally lol

Power to weight ratio is the key dude! Dun matter if the car revs to 5,000 or 10,000rpm.. aslong as you have a good power band (ie v8s from near idle.. say 2,000 - 6,500pm or yours (being turbo) from 3,500rpm to 7,000rpm).

I had it weighed at a chicken farm i designed in NSW. it was 1322kg with the spare, tools, and heaps of other crap in it. It has a standard turbo @13psi on an EBC thru an FMIC so I get full boost at 2800rpm. For what it is, its alot of fun to drive and has reasonably solid power. 275 rears and softer suspension help alot too.

-rb25

Guess i gotta stand corrected on the weight issue then. Lower than i expected!

Next time you drive on country highways look out for weigh bridge signs. If it's open then just pull into one and weigh your car. :rofl:

Next time you drive on country highways look out for weigh bridge signs. If it's open then just pull into one and weigh your car.  :rofl:

spot on. or as above, an abitoir or the like will have a weigh station.

What prompted me to do this (listen up NSW car owners) was that the RTA tried to tell me that my car was in the 1600-2000kg bracket. I knew this was b.s. and got it weighed, took the ticket to the RTA and subsequently saved about $150 off my rego due to the lower weight bracket.

-rb25

1320kg for a R33 hey..  

Hrmm I wonder what a R32 weighs in at then.

A friend had his R33 on the weigh bridge, 1/2 a tank of juice and it was slightly over 1400kg's.

The race R32GTST was 1295 kgs when we got it, it is now a little under 1200 kgs, with some stuff added and some more stuff removed. :)