SAU Community

6 litre hsv

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little cartoon. I hear the gear changes are so long they have to provide an in flight movie......

:)

Imagine if it had a slick box.................................

Hi guys,

I currently own a 6 litre HSV and I am interested to get some opinions from the majority of skyline gtst and gtr owners. My question is, if you were stuck at a traffic light and a 6 litre HSV was about to drag you, do you think you will win? If so, by how much?

If not, what mods do you think you will need in order for the race to be close? Also how much power will the mods give you?

For those who don't know much about the 6 litre holden. Here are the specs:

* 297kw

* 1690kg

* 5.1(auto) 5.2(manual) 0-100:manufacturers time.

I would expect a few to say the following so I'll type it before they do:

1)Holdens are crap etc etc

2)Holdens are slow etc etc.

3)Why buy a holden etc etc.

4)GTR's rock and will leave anything for dead.

5)Why spend 60K+ on a car when you can buy something 1/3 of the price, mod it and have a rocket.

6)I am not a stereo typical v8 driving bogun. I do eat rice and last ride was a S15.

7)holdens look crap

8)holdens are too heavy

This thread is not an attempt to mock either skylines or holdens but to see what mods/power levels a skyline will need to have a close race with a 6litre holden. Also to see if there is in fact any respect from the majority of skyline owners for the holden.

First of all im not against any cars as im a fan of all performance vehicles from rotors to V12s but dont like the holdens as theyre way to heavy and big, its a family sports car!! I would only move over to a ford or holden V8s when i have a family or a trailer to tow.

But if you look at the 15 year old R32 GTR factory 0-100 time its 4.6sec, a 15yo 300zx TT 2 seater is 5.1sec and the aust spec s15 is 0-100 in 5.5sec but jap spec with 30+kw more should be even faster.

To sum that up, NO, your car isnt that fast even with 297kw relatively speaking . To answer your question any stock GTR in good nick will cream you but all a gtst would need is a $70 boost controller, $600 exhaust and a $50 pod to give you a run for your money. I wouldnt mind taking you on since my R33 GTST is 300+kw anyways.....at the wheels that is :kick: need to practice my launching!!

BTW nice ride tho

First of all im not against any cars as im a fan of all performance vehicles from rotors to V12s but dont like the holdens as theyre way to heavy and big, its a family sports car!! I would only move over to a ford or holden V8s when i have a family or a trailer to tow.

But if you look at the 15 year old R32 GTR factory 0-100 time its 4.6sec, a 15yo 300zx TT 2 seater is 5.1sec and the aust spec s15 is 0-100 in 5.5sec but jap spec with 30+kw more should be even faster.

To sum that up, NO, your car isnt that fast even with 297kw. To answer your question any stock GTR in good nick will cream you but all a gtst would need is a $70 boost controller, $600 exhaust and a $50 pod to give you a run for your money. I wouldnt mind taking you on since my R33 GTST is 300+kw anyways.....at the wheels that is :kick:  

BTW nice ride tho

LOL..cant say i agree, so may R32 GTRs cant hope to match the times of the factory 15 years on. A couple of good hits with 15psi has the catch cans full of oil, the engines are just tired and make as little as 210rwkws.

Then the ctutches are sad, 13year old shocks (brand name or not) are being asked to control high spring rates, as a rule they GTRs are still good things, but there are a lot out there that i would love to line up for 10 runs, and see how many of them die after 10 back to back runs especially if they are running a gung-ho Jap ECU which does god knows with Oz fuel.

So dont think you can get out your brushes and paint a picture of all of one type of car will get walloped by another make...there are just too many variables.

Can i ask what time your 300rwkw R33 has done at the drag strip, or at Barbagallo?

Popeye,

A pod does shit.. Why waste the money on it. :)

Where have you got your car tuned? I may know it? ;)

More power doesn't always = faster times Popeye. If your car has a genuine 300rwkw then you will know he will kick your ass to 100km/h UNLESS you are running 265 Drag spec Nittos' or the like.

I would like to see the LS2 get up and go once it is in third. My guess is that it will have some nice top end pickup that will have the speedo flicking as if it were doing 0-80km/h.

I've had a little play with an LS2 before I had the rb30 tuned. It definitely got up and moved, suprisingly the rb30 didn't have any troubles keeping up with the initial jump, after that i couldn't rev 3000rpm fuel cut :D, upon gear changes it looked as if the spring rates and chassis was a little too sloppy for the power being delivered. But none the less it did look fast and probably what helped it look fast as it was accelerating away.

The LS2 is consistant. Pop the clutch and accelerate away. :)

If the gear ratio's were setup as 'sports' and not so much the daily family beast my gut feeling is it would be rather dangerous.

0-80km/h in first is way too much, lots of potential there.

I would only move over to a ford or holden V8s when i have a family or a trailer to tow

I believe he said this is why he's done it :)

To answer your question any stock GTR in good nick will cream you

0-100kms sure due to the GTRs AWD advantage after that or from a rolling start my moneys on the HSV over a 'Standard' GTR as they pull some pretty high terminal speeds over the quarter :D

Can i ask what time your 300rwkw R33 has done at the drag strip, or at Barbagallo?

Hes from Adelaide...Barbegellos in WA :)

FTR as a daily driver I'd probably take the 300kw HSV for reasons mentioned above, practicality, ease of driving, luxury, and grunt...........for a toy GTR everytime ;)

LOL..cant say i agree, so may R32 GTRs cant hope to match the times of the factory 15 years on. A couple of good hits with 15psi has the catch cans full of oil, the engines are just tired and make as little as 210rwkws.  

Then the ctutches are sad, 13year old shocks (brand name or not) are being asked to control high spring rates, as a rule they GTRs are still good things, but there are a lot out there that i would love to line up for 10 runs, and see how many of them die after 10 back to back runs especially if they are running a gung-ho Jap ECU which does god knows with Oz fuel.

So dont think you can get out your brushes and paint a picture of all of one type of car will get walloped by another make...there are just too many variables.

I probably didnt make it realistic comparing a 15yo car with a new one, i was more on the basis of comparing on relative terms "new car specs". Just praising the 15yo jap technology...

Im in SA, ill take it to the drag strip once everything is right and after i get some more practice with launch. But your correct there are to many variables hence i compare with new car factory times as a measure of cars ability. Im still having a hard time with launch but have a new HD clutch. For an R33 GTST with 300rwkw im probably expecting low 12s 1/4mile with 9in R34 GTR wheels n new tread, we'll wait and see.

Sorry, dont know why but i thought he was from Perth:(

I would love to drive a nicely modded GTS Monaro, i so hope its a nice car, but bugger if i could afford one:(

Rumour has it that its cheaper to get 300rwkws out of an LS1/2 then an RB25, possible even RB26. With that sort of grunt and power delivery the things would be sure to mumbo. Though it will always be a V8 v turbo thing:( To me they are all good toys, my dream car is powered by an NA 405bhp 4.0L inlines 6, so i dont have any loyalties to anything, other then to get me there quickly:)

Popeye,

A pod does shit.. Why waste the money on it. :P

Where have you got your car tuned? I may know it? :)

It was done in jap and imported as is, no way i could spend that much money here. I havent really done much to it yet as im saving up atm to get a rebuild. Ill probably take it to shaun at boostworks to take care of it or Tilbrooks, it all comes down to money. Im still at uni and time is another issue.

More power doesn't always = faster times Popeye. If your car has a genuine 300rwkw then you will know he will kick your ass to 100km/h UNLESS you are running 265 Drag spec Nittos' or the like.

Yes thats true, we know how hard it is to put the power down but if only my gtst was a gtst4 though

I would like to see the LS2 get up and go once it is in third. My guess is that it will have some nice top end pickup that will have the speedo flicking as if it were doing 0-80km/h.

I've had a little play with an LS2 before I had the rb30 tuned. It definitely got up and moved, suprisingly the rb30 didn't have any troubles keeping up with the initial jump, after that i couldn't rev 3000rpm fuel cut :(, upon gear changes it looked as if the spring rates and chassis was a little too sloppy for the power being delivered. But none the less it did look fast and probably what helped it look fast as it was accelerating away.

I have nothing against it, and dont forget we are talking about a huge 6lt V8!!

The LS2 is consistant. Pop the clutch and accelerate away. :D

If the gear ratio's were setup as 'sports' and not so much the daily family beast my gut feeling is it would be rather dangerous.

0-80km/h in first is way too much, lots of potential there.

Ill probably buy one of these in a few years time, but arnt these like $90k like the 300kw gto or something?

Vuster, 90% of the time on here is spent "filtering" so just ignore anything you prefer to.

Other forums are far worse though.

So that vid was done in a manual or an auto (did I miss something) as I saw the shift bizzo and the led screen with 6 gears and the little shift stick piccie. I'm guessing a manual. How is it to shift? I heard they were a bit sticky with that model Getrag.

My car is a 6 speed manual. The in car footage of the run I posted was done with a passenger. I went for another run on thursday night as I had the new remus cat back system fitted. Just wanted to see if there was any difference made.

I did 4 runs. Out of the 4, 2 of them I managed to get 5.22 and 5.3 seconds. The other 2 runs I got 5.6 and 5.7s as the wheels were spinning on launch. This was with traction control on. This was all done without reving the engine at all.

I've had one experience with a skyline GTST R33 with turbo back exhaust on a private road of course. He had a good launch so stuck with me initially but when I hit the edge of 1st gear it was over. Maybe because he had to change gears whilst I was still in first and didn't have to change to 2nd until 80km/h. I Just kept moving away after that. We ran a few times and we ended up chatting. He was quite impressed. I have those runs on video if anyone is interested. Post me.

As for the gear shift, it's hard to compare them with the smaller jap cars. The S15 was such a quick easy shifter compared to this one. For a big car, it shifts quite well. I've gotten used to it.

I posted the same vid in the ls1 forum and everyone thought that the 'loss of traction' animation was a dancing clown! hahaha You guys have made the same mistake. It's actually a car fishtailing.

At 6500 rpms the gear shift image appears also.

I've just seen Ferni's in car footage of his GTR. That thing is a rocket. I really appreciate them now. Just the way they launch. I wouldn't want to take on a modded GTR that dumps the clutch at 7000rpm.

To sum that up, NO, your car isnt that fast even with 297kw relatively speaking . To answer your question any stock GTR in good nick will cream you but all a gtst would need is a $70 boost controller, $600 exhaust and a $50 pod to give you a run for your money. I wouldnt mind taking you on since my R33 GTST is 300+kw anyways.....at the wheels that is :kick: need to practice my launching!!

BTW nice ride tho

I agree with your first point about a car being fit for purpose.

Your 2nd point. Maybe you're right but 15 years on I wonder how many lemons are out there? For every good GTR that manages to run those times there's a lemon somewhere. My friend managed to get one of these lemons recently.

As for the Aus spec S15 being a 5.5 sec 0-100km'h car. I do not think so! Definitely not a stock one. They are more like a 6.3-6.5 sec car. I did multiple runs in my S15 when I had it and when it was stock it managed to get anywhere between 6.3 and 6.9. After putting a cat back exhaust I managed to get 5.8sec once!

Where are you getting these performance times from anyway?

I'm not going to try and argue about your last point. :P

Ill probably buy one of these in a few years time, but arnt these like $90k like the 300kw gto or something?

Yeah they are pricey. 61K for base model HSV. It was too much for me to buy new so I bought mine 2nd hand.

In my opinion, the 2 big aussies have gone a long way in performance terms. So just think in 4 years times when it'll be common for all holdens to come standard with 300kw. You guys will probably still be driving the same R34 GTT's, 180's, S15's etc and will find it harder to get your wins. Even now a standard V8 SS has 255kw. That's just about the same as a 2002 model HSV VY with 260kw of power.

In a few years time it's gonna be harder running away from a V8 SS cop car.

Heres some realistic figures for a standard GTR :P

showphoto.php?photo=13820&size=big&cat=500

showphoto.php?photo=13811&size=big&cat=500

And I cannot understand the fasination with 0-100kmh times anyway, its far from a true indication of a cars true performance, to many low powered cars can return a half decent time due to lack of wheelspin and die in the arse after 100kmh, also 4WD cars (Such as stock GTR) can give seemingly fantastic 0-100kmh times again only to die in the arse afterwards.....

0-400m is a better indicator, as it gives distance and Terminal speed...and terminal speed is what I judge a cars overall accelarative abilities on :D

Oh and FTR my old RB30ET R31 with 253rwKW revving to 5500rpm ran 0-200kmh in under 15seconds (on the street) without really trying to hard, it also ran 100-200kmh in 5th with 208rwKWs in 12 seconds  :aroused:

Most people would probably agree with you in regards to the 400m as being the better indicator of a cars overall performance. But 0-100km/h is more real world relevant. In my opinion it's a good indicator of a cars ease of accelleration as a daily driver off the track.

Quick car you have there.

As for the Aus spec S15 being a 5.5 sec 0-100km'h car. I do not think so! Definitely not a stock one. They are more like a 6.3-6.5 sec car. I did multiple runs in my S15 when I had it and when it was stock it managed to get anywhere between 6.3 and 6.9. After putting a cat back exhaust I managed to get 5.8sec once!  

Where are you getting these performance times from anyway?

:werd:

As if an s15 will pull those times.

hhhhrmmm

or a pic of a car laying some twin rubber? :P

:(

You will find a R32 with a turbo back exhaust and a bit of boost is quicker than a R33 with a turbo back exhaust. Add a FMIC and wind the boost up a little on both of them and the R32 is still quicker.

BUT do the ECU in the R33 and it will tromp all over the R32 with its low 13's and sometimes high 12's.

Stock R32 or 33's with only an exhaust on stock boost are slooow. They need boost in them.

Thats my experience anyhow.

BUT I do think the 297kw LS2 is quicker than my old R32. Only marginally but I do have a sneaky suspicion its third gear will kill the R32's. :D

Have you got any vids of a 3rd gear little run?

hhhhrmmm

:rofl:

You will find a R32 with a turbo back exhaust and a bit of boost is quicker than a R33 with a turbo back exhaust. Add a FMIC and wind the boost up a little on both of them and the R32 is still quicker.

BUT do the ECU in the R33 and it will tromp all over the R32 with its low 13's and sometimes high 12's.

Stock R32 or 33's with only an exhaust on stock boost are slooow. They need boost in them.

Thats my experience anyhow.

BUT I do think the 297kw LS2 is quicker than my old R32. Only marginally but I do have a sneaky suspicion its third gear will kill the R32's. :rofl:

Have you got any vids of a 3rd gear little run?

There was a link to a clip of the Supra vs LS2. Did you see it? That was taken to the end of 3rd gear. Need to take the car to a track if I want to get a vid of my car pushing that hard. Too risky on the street.