SAU Community

6 litre hsv

My GTR runs about 270rwkw, at 1 bar boost and exaust... the first week i had the car i did some runs on a Gtech, with passenger, crap tyres, average launch and clutch was in average condition and was pulling 4.4sec 0-100, I've had friends time me on a stop watch at 4seconds flat as well, i know its not accuriate but just shows i think my car could run 4second flats..

I've been to the quater strip once, only got a few runs in, had trouble with axle tramp/traction off the line and was running 12.4@112mph... i think i could of done better with a bit more practice and a better day for traction (the track wasn't in the best cond)

Stock GTR, 5seconds sure, lightly modded - exaust and boost like mine, 4flats i recon, thats why i was basing it off 4sec... but also vuster said he did 5.4 0-100 in his car... so i brought his 5.4 down to a 5 as well....

Vuster:its just maths ;), besides the figures aren't exact since its averaging the acceleration on the time to 100k/h we are using... 4.7s vs what? 5s?

----------

Distance = (inital speed + final speed / 2) * time

So say at 4seconds

car A (0-100 in 4.7secs) is doing 100k/h (27.7metres/s) and

car B (0-100 in 5secs) is doing 90k/h (22.2metres/s)

D = (27.7m/s / 2) * 4.7s

D = 13.85m/s * 4.7s

D = 65metres

D = (25m/s / 2 ) * 4.7s

D = 12.5m/s * 4.7s

D = 58metres

Car A would be 65metres down the road

Car B would be 58metres down the road

So difference would be _about_ 7metres...

Vuster: you should join SAU Vic club and come on some of our cruises, show the rest of the members how what a HSV is like (and the owner :D ).. would be good to see a nice new HSV in the mix. My mates a member and he drives a Subaru B4, soon to be M5.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity you didn't buy a VZ LS1 they are definately the pick of all LS1's. Tuned one the other day that pulled 228rwkw standard. As in no exhaust, no cam no induction kit nothing. They come in at 203rwkw. My boss also tuned one in Townsville a couple of weeks ago that pulled 240rwkws with an exhaust. Give us a month and we'll be able to tune your LS2,still in development.

i like this thread, good read, but too many damn physics equations, thought i saw the last of them in yr12...

anyway, i cant see a gtst beating the ls2's, unless its got at least 200rwkw, good tyres so it grips well at launch, so here it has a chance of getting even. A decent suspension set up obviously will make things a lot quicker. For example back on serious performance 5 i think it was a r33 running a bigger turbo at 18psi got 0-100 in around 5.6sec, whilst a r33 running only 12psi with good aftermarket suspension ran practically identical times 0-100. Maybe 0.05sec slower.

as for gtr's, i think against stock ones, if there are any around, it would be even, with the gtr just nipping in front after 400m. After that its who has the bigger pocket for mods, you or him. AND, obviously, who can drive better.

It would be interesting to see how you would go against a modded gtst or s gtr. So it would be great to organise some guys in melb with skylines to go do some runs down the 1/4mile track, in order to see the results and to answer your initial questions

Also, what would be interesting is to see the 2007 GTR against a 2007 model HSV. See how the best in japan go against the best in aus. although, out the the big two here, im a ford fan so maybe second best in aus ;)

Stock GTR, 5seconds sure, lightly modded - exaust and boost like mine, 4flats i recon, thats why i was basing it off 4sec... but also vuster said he did 5.4 0-100 in his car... so i brought his 5.4 down to a 5 as well....

Vuster: you should join SAU Vic club and come on some of our cruises, show the rest of the members how what a HSV is like (and the owner :P ).. would be good to see a nice new HSV in the mix. My mates a member and he drives a Subaru B4, soon to be M5.

Actually I do have a couple of good mates who are members here and post regularly. Last time I spoke to one of them, I asked him if I could join the skyline cruises and he said I better not come. :ak47: Maybe on the next one.

As for the 5.4 sec time I did, I think it could come down closer to manufacturer time of 5.2(manual) if I didn't have a passenger on board and launched hard with traction control off. I tried reving the engine to get a good launch but the result was just the smell of burnt clutch so I chose to be safe and launch normally.

270rwkw doesn't sound like it's stock and my estimate of high 4's is for a stock car. I considered buying the 60-80 dollar gtech pro but it doesn't measure 0-100km/h. It's actually 0-60mph which is not the same. Equates more to 95km/h.

:/

Pity you didn't buy a VZ LS1 they are definately the pick of all LS1's.  Tuned one the other day that pulled 228rwkw standard.  As in no exhaust, no cam no induction kit nothing.  They come in at 203rwkw.  My boss also tuned one in Townsville a couple of weeks ago that pulled 240rwkws with an exhaust.  Give us a month and we'll be able to tune your LS2,still in development.

Actually I did consider the VZ monaro as it was roughly the same price. I know that there are a lot of LS1's out there therefore lots of modifications available etc but I don't see myself doing too much to my car. Just exhaust, edit and minor things will be on my list. So LS2 stock as a rock has a good base rwkw level which is why I chose it.

I'm off to the tuners at lunch today to get exhaust system fitted. Hope it sounds horn.

My GTR runs about 270rwkw, at 1 bar boost and exaust...

I've been to the quater strip once, only got a few runs in, had trouble with axle tramp/traction off the line and was running 12.4@112mph...

Damn, didnt realise your car had so much grunt...question, that 3/4 of a lap where i was following you around PI, were you giving it everything down the straight and out of turn 2 up to Honda?

Also when you did the 112mph 1/4 run, was that with the same power you are running now?

Vuster that will sound great. Everyone deserves a nice sounding V8 in the garage.

The only reason you can't come on the cruise coming up is it's members only for CAMS coverage, but membership is only $50 :/ and I reckon you'd be an asset to the club, as long as certain videos dissappear never to be seen again. I think membership oin the day will be achievable too.

As for the acceleration times, that's all well and good to talk mods but a fair bit has to be done to make a GTSt reliable and quick off the line, not the basic stuff as claimed. As they age the suspension is a little over the hill, and aftermarket suspension is generally too stiff for launches so it will wheelspin or bog. Then the exact revs and clutch control has to be mated to get the thing going quick unless it's an auto.

The big V8s though have the torque without lag and power spiking to just mumbo away time after time. Parochialism is great but facing facts, a Skyline GTSt is not a great drag platform yet on the track it is very good (especially the R34). The GTR in stock form is even better but both can be equalised.

I also think we can completely ignore the claims by the "street racers", whos behaviour the club does not condone, that think they wasted this and that. The other guy may not be trying or may back off and the only true test is drag or circuit.

Anyway, gotta go finish putting Lexus badges on the soarer for that extra wank factor :P. Just won't have exhaust in time though for the weekend.

Hi guys,

I currently own a 6 litre HSV and I am interested to get some opinions from the majority of skyline gtst and gtr owners. My question is, if you were stuck at a traffic light and a 6 litre HSV was about to drag you, do you think you will win? If so, by how much?

If not, what mods do you think you will need in order for the race to be close? Also how much power will the mods give you?

For those who don't know much about the 6 litre holden. Here are the specs:

* 297kw

* 1690kg

* 5.1(auto) 5.2(manual) 0-100:manufacturers time.

I would expect a few to say the following so I'll type it before they do:

1)Holdens are crap etc etc

2)Holdens are slow etc etc.

3)Why buy a holden etc etc.

4)GTR's rock and will leave anything for dead.

5)Why spend 60K+ on a car when you can buy something 1/3 of the price, mod it and have a rocket.

6)I am not a stereo typical v8 driving bogun. I do eat rice and last ride was a S15.

7)holdens look crap

8)holdens are too heavy

This thread is not an attempt to mock either skylines or holdens but to see what mods/power levels a skyline will need to have a close race with a 6litre holden. Also to see if there is in fact any respect from the majority of skyline owners for the holden.

Well... when i first bought my R32 Gtst my boss had a VX Holden Senator running 285kw... The enigine had been to HRT twice for engine mods.. cams etc..

I gave him a run and beat him... so if that gives rough idea... didnt beat him by too much... bit over a car length... maybe 2

NOt sure how yours would go up against the Senator but. :/

I actually have a question Vuster - what's it like getting traction down? I used to have a relatively powerful old BMW with semi trailing rear suspension which was a geometry nightmare with power down.

I have read a bit about LS1s and LS2s being described as a bit of a 'high stepper' V8, not making as much low RPM torque as say a Blue Oval jobbie. This, I would assume, would assist in getting off the line? Does it have traction control?

PS we need pics :cheers:

Roy: My car makes about 260rwkw in non-shootout mode and around 280rwkw in shootout. I don't see why i wouldn't have been giving my car stick at PI that lap you were following me, i think i'd just spun and pulled out in front of you so i wasn't at full speed until you had caught me (you catching me down the straight was because i spun) but turns 2-3 and honda i'm pretty sure i would of been going flat out, and you still kept up with me/caught me :cheers: Wasn't going as good as i was in my earlier laps tho.

Vuster: I run 1 bar boost with an exaust and tuned, which gives me 270ish rwkw. Stock internals/injectors/ecu (ecu is chipped but nfi what it is - came like that from japan).

And skylinegeoff is right - the reason i got so little runs in at the drag strip that time i was there is because i smashed 3rd gear ( http://gtr.ferni.net/photos/07%20-%20Gearb...ox%20go%20BANG/ )

Roy: yep same power/mods i'm running now, except a new gearbox now :)

I actually have a question Vuster - what's it like getting traction down? I used to have a relatively powerful old BMW with semi trailing rear suspension which was a geometry nightmare with power down.

I have read a bit about LS1s and LS2s being described as a bit of a 'high stepper' V8, not making as much low RPM torque as say a Blue Oval jobbie. This, I would assume, would assist in getting off the line? Does it have traction control?

PS we need pics :P

I always drive with traction control on. Even with the traction control on, if I drop the clutch and step on the throttle hard I can still manage to get the wheels to spin. It's quite a subtle traction control system but very good. Doesn't completely cut off the power. Just enough to gain traction I guess.

LS1 is the standard v8 engine that are in the VT series 2 and later. The old engines used to be 5 litres but the ls1 is 5.7l.

The LS2 is 6 litres and evidence seems to show that the LS2 engine has better low down power compared to the LS1 so take off should be better.

As for the FPV GT, from what I've read in MOTOR you have to rev those engine higher when you want to launch it well. Maybe you are referring to the XR6T.

Here are some pics. The last photo was taken today as I just got a remus exhaust system fitted and dynoed. Sounds beefy:

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

remus2.jpg

ls2.jpg

what sort of power improvements did the exhaust make

I was quite dissapointed. Only 4 or 5rwkw more. The guy told me to drive it around to get the computer to update itself so I'll be in next week to have another go to see if it improves. It's just a catback system. No extractors yet.

Lookin' good. Thank god they didn't give them the "nostril" treatment.

yep nose boils bad...

Remus make some nice exhausts, didn't know they were doing them for Aussie muscle now thought it was mainly euro stuff

Looks great