SAU Community

6 litre hsv

That thing rips to 100kph. Not so confident about racing them anymore ;)

People who said you should have changed faster to second have obviously never driven a manual commy. :) They're not the easiest or friendliest gear shifts.

My mates VU SS was about dead even with my exhaust equipped Sr20DET silvia and he just had extractors. Pretty impressive stuff.

You gotta hand it to the big two though, their cars have come along in leaps and bounds while the Japs seem to be getting all sensible on us.

That clubby looks horn, swap for R32? :)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a lot of people "stroking" themselves in this thread. Lots of "big" words used as well. Popular words used...ME....MY......Think there is a common denominator here...anyone know what it is?

Should we talk in third person? :)

Damn, dumping the clutch at 7000rpm. No wonder you get such a huge jump ahead at starts. That's gotta hurt. Don't you get concerned when you smell the burnt clutch coming from your air vents?

I did it for about 6 months on a standard clutch and it was fine, although as you have said it did smell a bit, however with the hd clutch it never slipped and never smelt and that was doing it regularly for 6 months (almost everyday- its addictive- better than taking drugs)

Wow, a lot of people "stroking" themselves in this thread. Lots of "big" words used as well. Popular words used...ME....MY......Think there is a common denominator here...anyone know what it is?

Please elaborate. I don't completely get what you're trying to say but I'll have a guess. Are you saying that everyone who has replied in this thread are self centered?

If you read my initial post I did ask Gtst and GTR owners for their opinion of their car so shouldn't you expect them to reply comparing their rides with mine?

All I get from reading the responses from this thread is that everyone is willing to talk civily about the cars that interest them. Most people who go to these type of forums have a passion for their rides and it shouldn't be a surprise to you that they like to talk about them. This thread has not turned into a bitching session so would you rather read posts that just attack people?

Sorry if I've interpreted what you've said incorrectlly.

I did it for about 6 months on a standard clutch and it was fine, although as you have said it did smell a bit, however with the hd clutch it never slipped and never smelt and that was doing it regularly for 6 months (almost everyday- its addictive- better than taking drugs)

I'd say! Bloody addictive, until the gearbox decided to die :)

Still better than WRX's though! :wassup:

Vuster, 90% of the time on here is spent "filtering" so just ignore anything you prefer to.

Other forums are far worse though.

So that vid was done in a manual or an auto (did I miss something) as I saw the shift bizzo and the led screen with 6 gears and the little shift stick piccie. I'm guessing a manual. How is it to shift? I heard they were a bit sticky with that model Getrag.

There was an GTS Monaro at Eastern Creek yesterday, it was a well sorted car, with bolt on mods and a tined ECU, and listening to the idle had something going in the cam dept. So would have had a good +rwkws. Had the HSV 6 pot APs, and sorted susp.

It was a real quick car, and in the wet had awesome grip thru the slow corners...it will be in the Sydney Dutton, will be interesting to see how it goes in the V8 class. In the dry i may have been close, but in the wet where a cars true handling attributes arent masked by good rubber i was an oversteering horse:(

So anyone that doubts a Holdens abiloity to motor, needs to try and keep up with this thing....bang for buck its probably better then a GTST, maybe even GTR , though the initial purchase price is a bit exxy when compared to GTST/GTR

Vuster,

Here's a little vid of an R32 GTST Rb20DET running 1bar, 3" turbo back exhaust & FMIC. Stock ECU, Stock Airbox & filter it made 164rwkw.

The launch isn't the best as it bogs down a little, best 0-100 I was able to achieve was 5.2secs with a 4000rpm launch & clutch slip.

Often than not it was around the 5.5secs, if it wheel spun up around the 6sec mark.

Compared to the 6ltr the RB20DET sounds a little Asmatic. :D

Damn LS2 6500rpm, thats pretty damn nice rev's.

The R32 previously had a little play with a 280kw 6speed Clubsport rolling from around 30km/h, the LS1 was slightly quicker around the 60km/h mark however the R32's mid range through second and third was a tinny tinny quicker, by the time 4th was selected around 150km/h the LS1 was sitting level with the rear bumper.

None the less its a pretty damn good effort from such a mildly modified R32.

I can sympathise with you with regards to the off the line acceleration. I ditched the Rb20DET for this reason and dropped in a RB30DET that is much much better, stock turbo it currently makes 100rwkw at 2000rpm but runs out of legs by 5000rpm.

I'm a V8 bogan at heart, love the sound and previously owned a VS 5ltr 5speed that had full suspension, mild mods that brought the power up to around 220kw at the flywheel.

My conclusion, in a not so perfect world the LS2 would 9 times out of 10 have it over the mild R32 or R33. Its obvious in how easy the LS2 is to get off the line clean compared to the vid of the R32.

Heres some realistic figures for a standard GTR :D

showphoto.php?photo=13820&size=big&cat=500

showphoto.php?photo=13811&size=big&cat=500

And I cannot understand the fasination with 0-100kmh times anyway, its far from a true indication of a cars true performance, to many low powered cars can return a half decent time due to lack of wheelspin and die in the arse after 100kmh, also 4WD cars (Such as stock GTR) can give seemingly fantastic 0-100kmh times again only to die in the arse afterwards.....

0-400m is a better indicator, as it gives distance and Terminal speed...and terminal speed is what I judge a cars overall accelarative abilities on :)

Oh and FTR my old RB30ET R31 with 253rwKW revving to 5500rpm ran 0-200kmh in under 15seconds (on the street) without really trying to hard, it also ran 100-200kmh in 5th with 208rwKWs in 12 seconds :aroused:

Hey mate, I love hsv and holdens can't beat the sound of a v8!! I am a gts-t owner lol. My 95 R33 has a 3.5" stainless catback exhaust, a fmic (fairly large) and a hks mushroom pod. I have done my own 0 - 100 time on the street and did a 5.2 sec. In controlled environment and perfectly flat ground i think i could do a 5. Hope this helps. Dump pipe coming soon - hopefully 0 - 100 in the high 4's.

Timbo, sorry to burst your bubble mate but with the mods you mentioned you will not achieve much better than the 6.0/6.1 sec factory specs of the standard manual 'line.

When the factory goes out to determine the 0-100 time they spend many hours with a professional test driver about the size of a 13 year old, with minimum fuel in the tank and possibly all ancillaries removed from the boot, and they practice until perfect. Then they run a small number of sprints to 100 and take an average. All factories do this.

Auto magazines constantly compare the factory time against the best they can do in real world conditions, often with a passenger, and never come close.

Now maybe you can improve a little with the new exhaust and a cat replacement pipe, but at the same time the extra power will make it harder not to slip into wheelspin. Then you will have to spend on engine management, a decent turbo, good rubber, suspension (not the rock hard Jap stuff) as the standard stuff is nasty for axle tramp, pineapples to allow some rear squat and a good yet forgiving organic clutch that will allow some slip without burning up.

Given that a GTR does 4.7-4.9 factory figures you are looking at making some serious mumbo and just monstering it to get over the 5.0 second line. I have spent a fair bit of my life racing, and I think I'm fairly reasonable and consistent but I doubt my GTS25t track car would go under 5.0 even once the twin turbo setup is sorted with a target of 280rwkw.

Guys I think even mildly modded we're a long way from mowing the 6.0 as easy as everyone thinks.

We have a VX HSV coupe at work with a C5R block, cams and an eaton supercharger on it. This bloke has spent near $300 tho on it and I gotta say it is one of the coolest cars I've ever seen. It puts out about 400rwkw and it just sounds so nice. There's no substitute for cubes; unfortunately.

Not much is available in australia for the Ls2 yet. LS1 has been out for awhile so you can get a lot of mods for them and APS have twin turbo kits for the LS1.

LS2 edit is still being tested before release and is very anticipated.

Pro Charger built a bolt in kit for your motor in the C6 and www.dnamotorsport.com have done the LS1 and 5.4 Ford is in the shop.

Link is http://www.procharger.com/ we have a couple is Perth already.

The launch isn't the best as it bogs down a little, best 0-100 I was able to achieve was 5.2secs with a 4000rpm launch & clutch slip.

Often than not it was around the 5.5secs, if it wheel spun up around the 6sec mark.

Mild R32 - 164rwkw.

Compared to the 6ltr the RB20DET sounds a little Asmatic. :D

Damn LS2 6500rpm, thats pretty damn nice rev's.

Seriously is that the RB20, or ahem the RB20. I never look at the speedo, usually got my eyes pegged on the road/track, but im scared with 235rwkws my thing doesnt accelerate off the clock like that:(

Yours would spank it Roy. Maybe not through first but definitely through second. :)

Its definitely the RB20, RB30 doesn't rev like that.

It was taken 10,000km's before I pulled the motor out, still had excellent compression with no oil in the intake pipes, the inlet ports were still clean with no muck coating.

I noticed it looked as if the inlet ports had a coating of some sorts. Not so much shinny silver but a whiteish rough colour. Didn't really look like alloy.

Here's a little cleaner launch. Roughly 5.5secs to 100 also.