SAU Community

RB20DET conrod bearing replacement

Hey guys, I need some advice on replacement rod bearings for an R32 RB20DET GTS4. I have no idea where to get these from. Does anyone know of a good source?

Also the job itself looks labour intensive but not too difficult, is there any traps in doing this job. The car is fitted with an auto box.

Thanks

Turbine

Your local Nissan dealer should be able to get them.

"Working on RB-series engine" and "not too difficult" are incompatible terms! If the engine is still in the car, then have fun - you need to drop the sump. To do that, you need to dis-assemble the front suspension. And you probably need to remove the X-member - which requires an engine crane or block-and-tackle to support the engine while you do the job.

If you don't already have one, get yourself a good tension wrench for tightening the cap bolts.

So blind_e4lk

What you are saying is that i cant just pull the engine off the sump assy and leave the front wheel drive system in the car.???

Ok, what are these cap bolts?? are the head bolts?? not sure what you mean their.

Turbine

So blind_e4lk

What you are saying is that i cant just pull the engine off the sump assy and leave the front wheel drive system in the car.???

It might be an easy way to separate the sump and block, but it could well be a b*****d getting it back together. But the amount of rubbish you need to remove to lift the engine out could well make the "drop the sump" route so much easier.

As I said, "work on RB-series engine" and "not difficult" are totally incompatible terms.

Ok, what are these cap bolts?? are the head bolts?? not sure what you mean their.

Turbine

The other half of the conrod end. The conrod has 2 semi-circular bits, where the bearings sit, that are bolted together around the crankshaft. Make sure the bearings are around the right way, and the caps go back on in the correct orientation to the rod.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice on this job. I called nissan they said the bearings may have different grades @ each conrod as well, so I'll watch for that as well

Cheers.

Turbine

Yeah you need to measure up the crank to get the right bearings.

ACL make bearings for rb25, 26 not 30, not sure about rb20 tho :D They are as good or better than Nissan bearings and 25% of the price :wave:

Just my opinion, but if you are going to go to all the effort for the bearings, pull the whole engine, have the block, rods, crank checked. Hone the block. Reco the head (all new valve stem seals. Reassemble with the new bearings and enjoy a brand new engine ready for a couple of hundred thousand klm. :D

Would probably cost 50-100% more than just bearings but its a much better result. I understand bearings only is a common plan in Japan, probably due to much higher labour rates. I'm pretty sure that my rb26 had had bearings only done in jp, it required a full rebuild within 3 months of landing....probably because the real problem was the crank was not straight when they did the bearings, so they spun again very soon.

Yeh it's a good idea Duncan. I guess I'm a bit hesitant to even pull the engine out, seeing as it's my mums car and she stresses when it's in peices. But the end result will be like you say, a brand new engine that will last for years.

Cheers Duncan