SAU Community

Nissan 200 SX S15

Hey guys, figured no one has actually mentioned about the S15. Are there any S15 drivers here? How does the S15 compare with the skylines? Although i'm getting a skyline but i'm just curious how much will an S15 cost to import from Japan? What's the power of the S15? :innocent:

Rgds

My borther owns an S15, took it for a spin, there pretty quick but the australian version compared to the japanese version is heavly restricted not making as much power as my r34.

Its a nice car but i perfer the skyline, even he wishes he he had a skyline - he wanted one but the girlfriend talked him into getting the Silvia. :)

Hey guys, figured no one has actually mentioned about the S15. Are there any S15 drivers here? How does the S15 compare with the skylines? Although i'm getting a skyline but i'm just curious how much will an S15 cost to import from Japan? What's the power of the S15?  :innocent:  

Rgds

I had one a few months back. The spec R GT. They are quite a nice ride. Looks especially good without the spoiler. Sticks to the road like a cat on carpet. That's only in the dry though. Throw some water on the road and you gotta be careful coz you can be caught out on boost.

S15 from memory is 147kw. I think the jap spec is about 180kw or something. The aus spec does 0-100 about 6.4-6.5 whereas the jap spec will do it in high 5's. I had a cat back on mine and it responded very well. They are good to mod. Anyways good luck. They are fine cars.

I had one a few months back. The spec R GT. They are quite a nice ride. Looks especially good without the spoiler. Sticks to the road like a cat on carpet. That's only in the dry though. Throw some water on the road and you gotta be careful coz you can be caught out on boost.

S15 from memory is 147kw. I think the jap spec is about 180kw or something. The aus spec does 0-100 about 6.4-6.5 whereas the jap spec will do it in high 5's.  I had a cat back on mine and it responded very well. They are good to mod. Anyways good luck. They are fine cars.

Jap specs as in those that's imported directly from japan? what's the difference between the Jap Spec R and our Spec Rs? Just the 147kw and the 180kw difference? Do they have a good turbo in them? :confused:

Jap specs as in those that's imported directly from japan? what's the difference between the Jap Spec R and our Spec Rs? Just the 147kw and the 180kw difference? Do they have a good turbo in them?  :confused:

Dont' quote me on it but I think the jap spec has a bigger turbo. Do a google search to find out for sure. The jap spec has got a rear window wiper and also various other differences.

Why not check a Silvia forum?

In a nutshell, the JDM S15 has:

Better stereo

Ball bearing T28 (the Au Spec uses a T28 as well, but it may not be ball bearing)

Rear wiper

Different ECU tune (definitely more boost) to make the extra power

I think there are some other minor differences like badging etc. The question gets asked so much on NS.com and SilNSW that I've just started ignoring the threads, and I've forgotten now.

If you're going to modify the car then the power difference is negligible since, with exhaust, boost control, and FMIC it balances out anyway. JDM cars might be cheaper and have some nicer fruit.

Having driven an R33 GTSt and S15, I'd say that the S15 is a lot more nimble (both had stock suspension). The S15 is a bit lighter and with a shorter wheelbase. The downside is that the car can be a bit of a handful sometimes.

The S15 responds quite well to mods. There are plenty getting around on 180rwkW+ with exhaust, FMIC, boost controller and management.

Jap spec S15 Spec R's had a leather steering wheel, rear window wiper (as mentioned above), no rear bumper reflectors (Aussie spec ones needed them to be ADR compliant, pity, as they wrecked the lines of the rear bumper), standard A-pillar boost gauge, and in-dash TV's as an option, different badging (Silvia instead of 200SX), along with other minor stuff.

The Jap spec S15 R's had the same sized T28 turbo, but with ball bearings (slightly faster spool up), ECU tuned for better fuel, and a different stock exhaust system (not fully sure on that). Because of these changes, the Jap spec R's put out 184kw, 37kw more than our Aussie specs.

Just a sidenote: The Jap spec S15 Spec S's were non-turbo with a 5-speed gearbox instead of the Spec R's 6-speed, and a 4-speed auto as an option. These put out 118kw and had different wheels

Also: The Jap spec's badged with Aero just have a sideskirts and a rear wing (sort of like the Spec S/R GT's Nissan Australia produced to clear the remaining cars)

Edit: Damn, beaten :D

The S14s had VVT on their SR20DETs too. VVTi is a Toyota thing, so no Silvia has ever shipped with it.

The JDM and Au S15s are the same motor physically. The only differences are the turbo (and that's a maybe, some Au S15s had T28BB's) and the ECU tune.

The JAP 184kw is coming from

Different ECU tune for Jap 100ron fuel

& running 0.1 bar more in stock form

ball bearing turbo (but Zoom or fast 4 proved some very late aus S15 have T28BB as well)

climate control

Rear wiper

leather steering wheel

badge

A pillar boost gauge

reflectors

electronic fold side mirror

once u mod it I can say they are the same in term of performance

the S15 is much better than skyline at performance.

as above mention, FMIC, boost, exhaust, Power FC will result close to 200rwkw.

and u will run mid 12 easily.

with those mod a R33 will run low - mid 13?

and S15 will beat skyline around the corner, a friend of mine own both light mod S15 and a mild-highly mod R33 GTR and he said the s15 is faster the the GTR in the hill, corner better and stop better.

thanks for the 1240kg of weight.

silvia is a sport car while skyline is a GT

when i owned my skyline i complain about lack of performance, when i drive my s15 i complain lack of room & stability at over 140km :D

when i owned my skyline i complain about lack of performance, when i drive my s15 i complain lack of room & stability at over 140km :D

That's something my friend in his Silvia noticed when we go for drives.

In the tight, twisty coutry back-ro...ermm....racetracks he has to brake early and baby it around corners to avoid running into the back of me, but on the open flowing stuff he has to make constant minor corrections to keep his car on-line while I'm enjoying the stability from the longer wheelbase and just powering away.

For track work I'd probably take the Silvia. Less weight means the car's easier on tyres, brakes and the rest and you spend most of your time enjoying the steering response rather than rueing the high speed instability.

Saying that a Silvia is faster than a GT-R on this forum? I hope you're wearing your flame-proof underwear!

lol, flame proof undies?? u going to torch his ass?? =) So does the JDM S15 over perform the skyline or the other way round? i personally think that the S15 can be faster and perform better than the GTST but comparing with the GTR R34, does the S15 overpower and perform better??

And in terms of handling, Skyline or S15?

The S15 is a true Sports car. The Skyline GTST is a gran-tourer.

You will know what I mean once you have actually driven an S15. (Hey that rhymes...)

The S15 loves to get sideways and is extremely predictable when negotiating a slide or spin due to the chassis design and superior diff to that off the R33/R32 skylines.

Having owned both an R33 gtst and Aus Delivered S15 I can honestly say the S15 runs rings around the R33.... Which is understandable.

If you do buy one, don't make the mistake that most S15 owners do and put a ridiculously heavy twin plate clutch behind the factory 6-speed. You will have gearbox problems in know time.

Now why did I sell mine?........ :P

The JAP 184kw is coming from

Different ECU tune for Jap 100ron fuel

& running 0.1 bar more in stock form

ball bearing turbo (but Zoom or fast 4 proved some very late aus S15 have T28BB as well)

climate control

Rear wiper

leather steering wheel

badge

A pillar boost gauge

reflectors

electronic fold side mirror

once u mod it I can say they are the same in term of performance

the S15 is much better than skyline at performance.

as above mention, FMIC, boost, exhaust, Power FC will result close to 200rwkw.

and u will run mid 12 easily.

with those mod a R33 will run low - mid 13?

and S15 will beat skyline around the corner, a friend of mine own both light mod S15 and a mild-highly mod R33 GTR and he said the s15 is faster the the GTR in the hill, corner better and stop better.

thanks for the 1240kg of weight.

when i owned my skyline i complain about lack of performance, when i drive my s15 i complain lack of room & stability at over 140km :P

:confused:

You're trippn.....are you high or something?

OK.....mod for mod a s15 would beat a GTST. That's for sure.

Stock on stock......probably qikr the 32 and 33 GTSTs but not a GT-T

GTR? The car is a another league, the GTR blows the doors of the silvia. I find it hard to believe that a s15 handles, brakes, corners better then a GTR, especially with the GTRs AWD system. GTR outhandles an s15 any day. The GTR is the pinnacle of Nissan Performance Vehicles.

:flamer:

comparing with the GTR R34, does the S15 overpower and perform better??  

And in terms of handling, Skyline or S15?

Answers: GTR R34 overpowers and out performs the s15 easily.

Skyline GTR has better handling.

GTST is not far behind......

According to specs, the R33 gts-t runs a faster quarter than the Aus spec S15.

According to my observations, my R33 (when it had only a catback) felt faster than my mates S15, although you could tell the weight difference.

However, everyone knows that once you start modding, the S15 will surpass the Gts-t in terms of performance. It already handles better.

As for top speed stability, dunno... haven't been in an S15 over 120km/h. My modded R33 however will pull all the way to 220 and beyond without a hitch. Braking from this speed though is a bit nasty :P:(:)

the s15 better than GTR through the hill was told by a member over here.

He owned a HKS Kasai 2.7L complete engine+2530's R33 GTR, S15, R34 GTT 4 dr and more, so i think he is more than enough to comment on this.

and that's through the hill only, i think he sold the S15 but still keep the R.

keep it discussion but not flaming.