SAU Community

R32 GT-R questions, and my new car

I'm purchasing an R32 GT-R.

I'll put my questions I really want answers to first, in case people don't want to read my blurb on my new baby :)

Questions:

1) Should you see torque at the front wheels in 2nd gear, straight line, when the rear wheels alone wouldn't be spinning? This car isn't THAT powerful, I don't think. Maybe it is :) It's hard to tell coming from a taily-as boosted Silvia. It's at least as fast as it, but with 255 rear tyres vs 235s on the Silvy. I guess what I might be really asking is whether the ATTESSA system is predictive or reactive... I'm thinking this torque-to-front in a straight line on the throttle hard IS normal and that’s why ATTESSA controllers exist - I just don't KNOW.

2) This car was fresh off the boat. What happened when I first drove it, I took it into a cul de sac and did a half donut. Something weird happened, the motor was pushing hard but it wasn't going hard, slipping somewhere, and did the same as I smacked it into second. Not happy. So I did the same thing four more times, each time it grabbed and took off like a rocket. I proceeded to drop it hard into gears with each change thereafter, did a few kms around back streets, no slip. I'm guessing and hoping it's just the fact the car had been sitting for a while, and no one had given it the hiding I gave it since it was boxed up in Japan. It was FAST. 3 people, uphill and around a corner, 0-120 before I knew what was happening :) So, I'm going to retest the car again on Monday, give it the same treatment, and see if this weird thing happens again. I tried real hard to get it to happen twice. It did only happen the first time I belted it, and it'd be the first belting since it came off the boat.

3) Do you guys find the you need to REALLY push the brakes in these things - cos of the ABS? Or is it the fact that these big calipers might be on a smaller slave cyl? (Has V-Spec-ish Brembos, see below). I just seemed to have to slam on very hard. That's fine, just want to know if it's normal.

Some tool young guy was looking at the car when I got there, and pulled out the dipstick. He didn't put the fkn thing back in right :) So after my drive I popped the hood and was shocked to see oil all over the place kinda under the intake manifold. Shocked until I realised the dipstick was hanging out!

So, I'm getting them to fit a new rubber to the dipstick (it was visibly out but the thing just feels loose), degrease everything and let me leather it again. I did have this thing sideways in an industrial park, and I have to say I'm going to LOVE not fighting with opposite lock and shit... The car just sorts it out! The rumours are true!!! Heheh lol

What it does have:

Tomei speedo showing 61000 (I know, unreliable) goes to 310km/h.

Original rubber pedal covers with minimal wear. Minimal wear on most of the interior, bit dirty seats, will probably just shampoo out.

Titanium cat-back exhaust ("something" Fujitsubo or Fujitsubo "something" - gorgeous welding, awesome note)

324mm Brembos on the front, 300mm on rears. Prob need new discs soon though just from looking.

Completely stock engine bay, untouched. Needs some turbo->cat dumps though, the cat back is 3.5" - at least :) The intake manifold paint looked good, very little bit of flaking, nothing serious.

Slighly bigger cooler from newer GT-R, no cooler cover at front (coulda laquered it the bastards who put it in, now I gotta try to get the anodising (if that's a real word) off the thing :) ) Full nismo body kit.

3-piece mags, forget brand (jap), look nice enough (255x40x17 tyres). Deeper dish rims on rear.

Gunmetal KH2 paint, great nick, just a couple of very minor scratches besides that just like new.

No noises, firm suspension. Got to dump it stopped-first-second on semi dirt covered road and yep, the ATTESSA works :)

I did get killed a bit on the Silvia trade, though they both need resprays, tyres, and other stuff, so it's not that bad I suppose. We've had em both over 5 years. I coulda done more in a private sale but the logistics of needing a car and time and etc - bugger that. I got 11.5k for my 93 K with 165000 AND an auto Q with 185000. They will transfer the stereo from the Q (better stereo, like a week old :) ) into the GT-R for me, and chuck in a nicely-sized turbo timer in the hole in the dash where there used to be one which was likely just stolen..

All in the car looked in great nick, and I'm confident it's not been abused, just used.

Attached are pics from my phone...

Thanks ppls,

Andrew

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew,

congrats on buying such a nice piece of machinery!

I would not have flogged it my self straight from comming off the boat, it could've ended in tears!

In regards to your brakes, you sure your pads aint f_cked?

yeah i definitely wouldnt have pushed the car hard straight off the boat. not until i had the thing fully checked out. just out of curiousity...does it have the rear windscreen wiper?

']yeah i definitely wouldnt have pushed the car hard straight off the boat. not until i had the thing fully checked out.

Well, it's from a dealer, not a private... I was nervous when I got in, never drove a GT-R. I was expecting it to be kinda unfriendly and hard to get used to. After about 2 mins I mastered the clutch, after 5 mins it all just felt so right. I figured... how the hell do I know if the ATTESSA is all good without nailing it off the mark and around a corner? A half donut tells a lot, I reckon... Someone else did test drive before me, but the sales guy said he drove it like a bitch, I was the first to nail the thing. He said it was the most fun test drive he'd been on for a while :)

Looks nice. Upgrade the exhaust :)

Yaah. The titanium CAT back is sexy as - I've never seen welds that clean looking. I suppose that's just the type of weld you have to use on titanium :) machine driven, uber-hot.

But yeah, 3" or so from each turbo to the CAT will be a wonderful thing :)

Andrew,  

congrats on buying such a nice piece of machinery!

I would not have flogged it my self straight from comming off the boat, it could've ended in tears!

In regards to your brakes, you sure your pads aint f_cked?

You mean, hurting the car? Or crashing it... I did cruise around a bit before hammering it, and someone else apparently did a short girly test drive.

EDIT: new oil, new brake fluid - car was serviced. So maybe my "straight off the boat was bit - wrong... "Recent off the boat"... :)

As for the pads... you could be right... they didn't feel like I *think* Brembos should - but this car is 2-3 hundred kgs heavier than my silvy. But my Silvy has no ABS, has 300zx calipers on the front and stock rears, so is front-biased. It's hard to tell. Anyway, I'd be changing the pads and buying some new cross-drilled slotted rotors for it pretty quick. Something this quick - shit you need good brakes :)

EDIT: Hmm. Car sits on boat. Rotor get VERY rusty. Someone drives it, rust transfers to pads. I drive it - with rusty pads... it don't stop so good...

Ok, I'll buy that. :crazy:

[

I mean't hurting the car. Some people are that cautious, they get them towed.

I my self probably would, a tow is cheaper than a blown.. but I definately wouldn't have pushed it with out getting it properly checked over.

But I can completely understand the tempation!

BTW how much did you pay? Forgive my ignorance if I overlooked that.

Once again, nice car!

[

I mean't hurting the car. Some people are that cautious, they get them towed.

I my self probably would, a tow is cheaper than a blown.. but I definately wouldn't have pushed it with out getting it properly checked over.  

But I can completely understand the tempation!

BTW how much did you pay? Forgive my ignorance if I overlooked that.

Once again, nice car!

Yes, it IS a nice car :) :crazy:

$27990 pretty much. I took em down, but traded two cars, you can look at it either way - lost on cars, gained on car price.

Like I said, not picked up from the dock! At a dealer, serviced - new oil, bright green fluids - it had been run - NOT HAMMERED though like I gave it...

:)

EDIT: So really I'm just trying to work out what the go was with this slipping. Can it happen if the car been sitting, on a boat - saltwater n shit? It was fine afterwards - did it just once...

I suppose, all I can really do is continue to flog the car. That'll tell me :)

Maybe you were just riding the clutch abit, it was the first time you had driven that car and you said the clutch took time to get used to.

Did you get it dyno/compression tested?

I'm guessing it's an 89-90 model?

PS. Post some proper hi-res pics :)

Nice Andrew, so mate what about interior pics? :)

As for the brakes, they are 4 pot callipers and you need to press them in a bit further than the brakes on a Silvia.. you'll find that after a bit of a squeeze, when they do grip they should bite strongly and progressively.

I know the Yard you bought from near Sunnybank, I've been there a couple of times. I take it your car is an 89/90 model?

edit: Also I would never trust the mechanic that the car yard uses, make sure you take your car to somewhere good as soon as possible. Did they change ALL the oils? (ATTESA fluid, Diff etc) Hows the cooling system? Hows the radiator?

Andrew, nice car!!!

Ive imported a few cars before and I can remember on 2 occassions a similar thing happening to me? the first time i picked up a 97model 180 from the docks (for my girlfriend!) and gave it a bit of stick around a few corners and down the freeway and noticed that the car was holding back, kind of felt like a slipping clutch. anyway it happened again sometime later and never again. 2 years on the car is driving sweet and the clutch has yet to be replaced!

I think you probably just gave a bit of a shock to the computer and maybe it just had to readjust itself? probably just talking BS but nothing to worry about i think,

Enjoy!

Cant say ive ever seen my gauge go off in 2nd gear, although I have pretty good tyres on at the moment, what are the condition of your tyres like?

As far as brakes go, mine is just fitted with the standard 4 pots, although I have newer discs and a race style brake pad, the brakes are extremly grippy, and will pull up faster than other cars I have owned and driven, which include a 300zx TT and a 95 supra TT with the big brake option :( So I suggest you look at your pads or rotors.

Maybe you were just riding the clutch abit, it was the first time you had driven that car and you said the clutch took time to get used to.  

Did you get it dyno/compression tested?

I'm guessing it's an 89-90 model?

PS. Post some proper hi-res pics :(

Yer it's a 89, old car, but excellent nick. I checked all the obivous - pedal wear, intake manifold coating, etc. It does look like it's done the KMs it says, but obviously quite possibly more.

Nah wasn't the clutch - it was out. I don't ride those things ;) if they aren't good enough they snap and I put a bitier one in :(

It was weird - happened once only - felt like a slipping clutch really, and is the only qualm I have with car in any way... There was a stink, which I'm pretty convinced was the brand new CAT.

I will get sick pics once the car is in my garage don't you worry! Not ol' Nokia jobbies... lol ... that's assuming I can stop driving it for a minute or two (I'm in love :uh-huh: )

I haven't had a dyno test, and don't plan on it at this stage. It's fast, and very clean, that's enough for me! I will certainly get a compression test at next drive (monday/tuesday) to verify all cylinders. Just have to work out what the comp should be, but I'll go surf for that...

Suppose I should do that right now in case I can't find it then I can nag fellow members :(

Andrew, nice car!!!

Ive imported a few cars before and I can remember on 2 occassions a similar thing happening to me? the first time i picked up a 97model 180 from the docks (for my girlfriend!) and gave it a bit of stick around a few corners and down the freeway and noticed that the car was holding back, kind of felt like a slipping clutch.  anyway it happened again sometime later and never again. 2 years on the car is driving sweet and the clutch has yet to be replaced!  

I think you probably just gave a bit of a shock to the computer and maybe it just had to readjust itself? probably just talking BS but nothing to worry about i think,

Enjoy!

Nah, that's what I want to hear :( someone finding the same sort of thing. It shocked me, and I proceded to flog the ass out of this thing, and couldn't reproduce the issue. That's the good bit. I shall try again before I sign the dotted line though ;) I told the dealership owner, and he's giving it a bash himself to make sure.

The one thing no one has had an answer for me yet - should I be seeing front wheel torque in top of 2nd? Or start of third? I was under the impression the rear wheels need to loose traction before font gets power - definitely works this way on serious stuff like hammering on an angle off the mark - the ATTESSA works. Just with this slipping and the front wheel torque being higher than I expected - just want to know if this is the norm or not!

Cheers,

Andrew

Cant say ive ever seen my gauge go off in 2nd gear' date=' although I have pretty good tyres on at the moment, what are the condition of your tyres like?

Well, they're pretty sick. They're a jap brand, but nice n soft to the fingernail. It COULD have been spinning the rears for such a short time I didn't notice, and thus doing what it's supposed to... But doesn't seem right. It's fast, but not THAT FAST I don't think. But, I came from a boosted Silvia with a GT-SS that slid all over the place with 235 Yoko AVS-v102s.... So maybe my perception of "fast" is a little off...

This car has 255 tyres front and rear... 3 ppl in the car at the time....

My Q: Do you notice the gauge when your flogging it? I only had chance to look at that gauge when my gf was flogging it :( other times I was to busy driving... lol

Your car an R32? Not a V-spec, or a newer model i.e. 33/34?

EDIT: Treadwear A, Temperature A, Traction AA...

So they can't be too bad I guess...

Nice Andrew, so mate what about interior pics? :(

As for the brakes, they are 4 pot callipers and you need to press them in a bit further than the brakes on a Silvia.. you'll find that after a bit of a squeeze, when they do grip they should bite strongly and progressively.

I know the Yard you bought from near Sunnybank, I've been there a couple of times. I take it your car is an 89/90 model?

edit: Also I would never trust the mechanic that the car yard uses, make sure you take your car to somewhere good as soon as possible. Did they change ALL the oils? (ATTESA fluid, Diff etc) Hows the cooling system? Hows the radiator?

Pentae - your profile says R32 GT-R... can you tell me about my front wheel torque question? Meaning, do you see FW torque in a straight line in 2nd? 3rd?

I'm just a bit paranoid something in the torque-split setup isn't right...

My best mate is a mechanic - not far from the yard. I'll take it to him for the compression test during next test drive. ATTESSA fluid and diff I don't know - but will find out - thx for the tip.

And yep 89 model. Old, but good nick, so I don't care ;)

As long as I can work out this ATTESSA thing. I have $500 hold on it, ain't signed nuffin yet...

Nice Andrew, so mate what about interior pics? :(

Yeh I do think it's a matter of dirt/rust on the pads and me being used to very bitey Z32 calipers on a Silvy. The way I see it, there ain't too much can be wrong with Brembos. The ABS works, I slammed on severely and tested that. Felt weird cos it's automated and not under my control, but I understand that.

Interior is very nice - bit of dirt on the seat fabric is the only imperfection. I think it'll shampoo/steam clean out. And sheesh those seats are sooo comfy compared to the S13 ;)

Edit: I will flood you poor guys with photies once I have the car in my possession :(