SAU Community

Cam Gear & Dyno Tuning Results @ Croydon Racing Development

Marko R1

I am extremely happy, it drives like a standard GTR @ 60kmh in 5th gear (1300rpm)

2nd gear breaks traction at all 4’s on shear acceleration J

Please refer to attached graph, this is my 4 wheel dyno tune figure by CRD on the 20th June (my birthday)…

THE CAM GEAR DEBACLE…now proven!

I was there from start to finish & saw the comparable difference.

The red line (on the graph) is tuned with cam gears at 0 degrees

The blue line (on the graph) is with tuned cam gears - keep in mind I do have the poncams…what a difference!

Jim has made an additional 100Nm without sacrificing top end delivery…

This proves that adjustable cam gears do make the difference & that Jims dyno tune has made a massive difference in torque!

Only the experienced guru’s of the industry are aware of this advantage.

I also had a long discussion about road tuning with Jim – he is of the opinion that you cannot simulate ‘load tuning’

i.e. load tuning at various rpm’s for a specified time period, where can you do this on the road & how can you road tune a car under load?

At the end of the day Jim has 15 years experience with GTR tuning & the experience alone is working with all facets such as drag, targa, circuit, national teams, race production class etc….who else in Australia works alongside with top tuners in Japan & national racing teams? I guess this is why he is the busiest workshop in Australia, just have a look at the number of performance cars he has in his workshop & yard (over 30 cars).

YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET – yes other tuners are cheaper but you will not reach the maximum potential if cam gears are not adjusted to suit the setup.

The way I see it, if you are prepared to spend over 10k on an engine then investing another $400 additional for a proper tune is the way to go…

Question: would you pay the small difference in tuning for an extra 100Nm of torque?

I am not here to convince you or sell CRD but I did want to share my experience with you as I am extremely happy with the outcome.

Thank you Jim ;)

Regards,

Marko

0404 884 876

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest two.06l
I think thats the AWD on the dyno correct me if im wrong

our did that too....until we threw the AVC-R out and installed a BLITZ

our did that too....until we threw the AVC-R out and installed a BLITZ

Paul...but did it do it on the road? A friend's WRX used to do the same with the AVCR on the dyno...but on the road, it was fine.

yeah, I was curious about that too. my guess is boost controll. certainly a very nice number. Very sharp curve. BIG fat top end, but the bottom end seems a little dissapointing to me. I would personally like more 'area under the cruve', but i don't think that's a reflection on CRD more a turbo choice thing. Do you have a graph with Y axis in RPM instead of speed? if so could you post it up?

enjoy mate ;)

The way I see it, if you are prepared to spend over 10k on an engine then investing another $400 additional for a proper tune is the way to go…

Agreed, but you'd be a miracle worker to get Jim to tune a GTR for $400.

$500 is what he normally charges just to dial-in cam gears, let alone TUNE the GTR.

A basic GTR tune starts at $800 and rapidly increases from there.

I have never stepped foot in that workshop without being slapped with a bill LESS than $1000.

Agreed, but you'd be a miracle worker to get Jim to tune a GTR for $400.

$500 is what he normally charges just to dial-in cam gears, let alone TUNE the GTR.  

A basic GTR tune starts at $800 and rapidly increases from there.

I have never stepped foot in that workshop without being slapped with a bill LESS than $1000.

I spoke to them today they said $350-750 for a full tune :) who knows but..

Doing a power run on Saterday morning to see what this biatch is making :Pimp2:

Merli,

Im with blk180....he is saying that it is only an additional $400 or so in comparison to most tuners who charge anywhere b/w 500-700 etc...

Im in agreeance with you marko....fantatsic results...wow pretty impressive!!! Im amazed at the difference with the cam adjustment...thats worth the extra $$ to me!!

I spoke to them today they said $350-750 for a full tune  :) who knows but..

Doing a power run on Saterday morning to see what this biatch is making  :Pimp2:

I'll bet you $50 that he wants to change the oil, and spark plugs before tuning it.

And it seems the more power a GTR makes, the more he charges... Presumably because there's more liability and less room for error with highly-strung GTR engines.

Understandable I guess, but it gets old when you're told "$350-750" and then get slapped in the face with a $1500 bill.

Anyway, good luck, and you have to come to the next dinner and let me take it for a spin... I'm having major power withdrawls :P

P.S. Have you put on an oil cooler yet? :squint:

I'll bet you $50 that he wants to change the oil, and spark plugs before tuning it.

And it seems the more power a GTR makes, the more he charges... Presumably because there's more liability and less room for error with highly-strung GTR engines.  

Understandable I guess, but it gets old when you're told "$350-750" and then get slapped in the face with a $1500 bill.

Anyway, good luck, and you have to come to the next dinner and let me take it for a spin... I'm having major power withdrawls :)

P.S. Have you put on an oil cooler yet? :squint:

I'll come to this months dinner..

I was going to get an Oil cooler but after 4 new so3's + rego i have no bling bling left :P

I'll come to this months dinner..

I was going to get an Oil cooler but after 4 new so3's + rego i have no bling bling left :P

There was a fair amount of meat left on those tyres?!?!