SAU Community

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it? i asked friend's around, my friend has a rxy and i got a 33 '94 his car is way lighter, coz 33 has a bigger body. I dont think that they would be the same weight.

how do you know his rex is way lighter?

did you pick it up over your head then your car and go .. yeh.. I only got 1 rep with the skyline and easily 3 reps with the rex?

it's been posted before.

the manufacterer states that the 03 wrx is 1350kg. probably slightly heavier for the AUTO and maybe a little heavier again for the wagon shape.

and so is the R33 GTST.

I dont think that they would be the same weight

again... you "THINK" wrong.

yes.. it says 3085 pounds.

devide that with 2.25 (1 kg = 2.25 pounds)

and you get 1371kg.

so basically says that the 03 wrx is HEAVIER than the R33 GTST considering your data says

Gts 25 coupe 1310 kg manual,

and like I said, auto is even heavier at 3140 for the sedan and 3220 for the auto wagon

how do you know his rex is way lighter?

did you pick it up over your head then your car and go .. yeh.. I only got 1 rep with the skyline and easily 3 reps with the rex?

it's been posted before.

the manufacterer states that the 03 wrx is 1350kg. probably slightly heavier for the AUTO and maybe a little heavier again for the wagon shape.

and so is the R33 GTST.

again...  you "THINK" wrong.

I just checked the weight on the rego ( my 01 rex , 03 is the same ) 1352kg .

I checked the 02 sti rego 1432 kg ( extra weight is mainly the 6 speed and a few other bits ) .

Checked the weight on the r33 gtst ( on the Nissan workshop manual ) 1320 kg .

And you are right in saying the hatch is a little heavier and add a little for the auto as well .

Having said all that stock for stock the rex is quicker than the gtst everywhere and by a good margin as well .

0-100 + 1/4 mile . On the circuit it all depends on the driver and tyres used .

And no you dont have to rev the rex to 6000 rpm top take off , there is no point .

3000 rpm is more than enough and no you wont break 1st gear either taking off .

Rexes break 2nd gear but mostly on worked cars and by people that dont know how to treat a rex g/box .

I have had several rexes and i have never busted a box yet .

Finally someone with sense.. I own a GTS-T but i'm more than open enough to admit that a WRX will beat me... thats not why I bought a GTS-T though.. :cheers:

Have you ever owned a RWD car? Because if that's the total list of vehicles you own, I'm not surprised you think a standard WRX isn't all that understeery.

I'm not sure where I stated these were the only cars I'd owned, but in answer to your question-yes mate I have. Before I bought my WRX I had an ED XR6 and before that I had a V8 XE Falcon that's still parked in the garage.

I know they understeer if you don't understand throttle control. Do you disagree? I stand by my opinion that the WRX chassis is very well balanced.

I did 10 or so motorkhanas in my MY00 WRX which equates to about 12 full-bore launches each day and when I sold the car at 102,000 km both the original clutch and gearbox were still in great condition.

Cheers,

Ben

From what ive seen they handle alot better than s13s and Skylines...

But then a good driver can change alot as we all know :)

Ive been amazed watchin Rex's, especially in the wet, thats wen i developed some serious respect lol

I'm not sure where I stated these were the only cars I'd owned, but in answer to your question-yes mate I have. Before I bought my WRX I had an ED XR6 and before that I had a V8 XE Falcon that's still parked in the garage.

I never said you did. The more perceptive people out there would have noticed a question mark at the end of that sentence.

And if the sum total an ED and XE Falcon (and I did say if here, I realise once again that you didn't say "only") are the only rear driving vehicles you've ever owned, once again I'm not surprised you think the WRX (in standard setup) is balanced and nimble.

hmmmmmm

id go the r33 cause i like skylines - duh!

but i reckon for like track stuff - or some serious drifting maybe the rex would be good

especially as has been said - they handle awesome in the wet and dry

they are very quick and very nimble

its because they are slightly lighter and have a shorter wheel base meaning there tends to be a less of a reduction in power @ the rear wheels and all 4 wheels tend to bog down when accelerated hard - unlike a r33 which has a longer wheel base and the back bogs down more than the front

Grip will always win over handling in the wet. And AWD's have bags of it on throttle, relative to a 2WD vehicle, so they flatter bad drivers in low-grip conditions.

In the dry I'd be more than happy to try keeping up with any WRX or STi with a driver of equivalent skill to mine. I think it would be quite close.

In the wet, I know I've got no chance. I'd try hanging on for as long as I can, just for the challenge, but unless the person behind the wheel is a complete muppet I know its a losing battle

I have much respect for the WRX. For what it is, it does an excellent job. There's no doubt in my mind that, with my paltry skills, should I ever run a WRX with a similarly power to weighted 2WD car in a lot of situations I'd be faster in the WRX. But that just speaks volumes about my inability to drive a car that won't spear off the road if I'm not smooth on the throttle and steering inputs, rather than the inherent poise of the vehicle.

I just don't mistake the car for what it is. A small family car that's been developed for rallying, and pressed in to tarmac service.

its because they are slightly lighter and have a shorter wheel base meaning there tends to be a less of a reduction in power @ the rear wheels and all 4 wheels tend to bog down when accelerated hard - unlike a r33 which has a longer wheel base and the back bogs down more than the front

Can you unpack that for me, and come again? :confused:

just 4 interest sake

www.jbskyline.net/R33/GTR/Specs

says that an r33 GTR with the RB26DETT does the 1/4 mile in 14.0 at 104mph

while http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_...sub/index2.html

says that an '04 subaru wrx sti with the 2.5L flat4 turbo DOHC does the 1/4mile in 13.23 @ 104.6mph

i think that the WRX eats the r33 on the 1/4mile - until the power of the RB kicks in and the r33 flys past the WRX and eats it in turn - hahaha the thought of that is pretty funny

Can you unpack that for me, and come again?  :confused:

umm

its a habit of mine to suck sh$t out my a$$ and bullsh$t really well

i'll give it a better go

The r33 has an overall length of 4405mm while the

WRX has an overall length of 4675mm

and in apearance u can see that the WRX looks stubbier than the r33

because it is stubbier it tends to squat down on all fours (if u no what i mean - it drops it guts rather than its ass)

while the r33 tends to drop its ass a bit more

this means that the r33 gets a good launch - but the WRX has the advantage of having it take of with all wheels better (the front would slip a little easier on the 33 than the WRX)

BUT...because i hane't driven either of them - i cant really tell from experience

ohh - this is also deduced from seeing WRX's and r33's at the drags and the different ways they take off

look - i may ave also just f$$ked this up gloriously and got it all wrong - but thats just me!!