SAU Community

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously guys, you need to own/drive both cars to make a fair comparison.

I can tell you stock for stock,a GC8 WRX (Old shape) will kill a GTS-T. At high speeds the WRX shape becomes wind resistant big time so a GTS-t will probably win from 140+. Up to there though there is no chance.

Power means nothing, WRXs have good bottom end and punchy little turbos. 0-100 the GTS doesn't have a chance..... Accept it and move on.

This is providing the driver knows how to handle the car. Give a rex 3K feed in the clutch quickly and it cuts. Get it wrong and its over.

Stock rexs run 14psi? Wtf r u serious??

Not thats not due to the stock turbo, although it isnt a good idea to boost that one past 1 bar. Its due to the ECU the R33/R34s run, they will retard timing/fuel etc if boosted past 12psi (or there abouts) and you wont make any power!

Stock rexs run 14psi? Wtf r u serious??

Not thats not due to the stock turbo, although it isnt a good idea to boost that one past 1 bar. Its due to the ECU the R33/R34s run, they will retard timing/fuel etc if boosted past 12psi (or there abouts) and you wont make any power!

I'm very serious , a stock rex , late model gc8 ( 99-00 ) and all current shape ( post bugeyes ) run 1 bar boost . Sti's run even more than 1 bar .

I was told the same thing about the r32's(You cant boost more then 12psi) but that was because of the ceramic turbo

You can boost 32s much more as they are the strongest turbo in the Skyline range.

Also there ECUs will run more boost (obviously running rich as all Nissans do) :)

Go the 32s lol

Is this a fact or just a guess? :) Don't forget they're also the oldest....

I'm not game enough to test mine, 11PSI will do.... :) lol

I'm very serious , a stock rex , late model gc8 ( 99-00 ) and all current shape ( post bugeyes ) run 1 bar boost . Sti's run even more than 1 bar .

And from what I experienced in the WRX, and pretty much every motor journo internationally has written about the STi, you notice it.

The Liberty GT has a decent torque curve, but the turbo'ed Imprezas have an "every day is race day" engine. You either drive it like you stole it and its quick, or get taken by Excels and Civics when you're driving it low in the rev range and try a rolling start in a middle gear.

Give me an SR20DET or RB20DET any day.

In my experience, a stock WRX will out handle and out perform a stock GTS-T without any problems. People who say different are wrong or ignorant. Go to the drags and you'll see this. Stock WRXs run 14.2 - 14.4.. it's rare to see a stock GTS-T run this. Note, i'm assuming both drivers are good and the car is in good condition.

However, a stock GTS-T will be more fun & rewarding to drive than a stock WRX, considering the WRXs tendancy to understeer in standard trim. The WRX also defintely has a weaker gearbox, but it's very rare to break one in standard trim (which is what we are talking about here... of course, you can break one if you do 6k launches repeatly and don't know how to change gears...)

After reading this thread, I now know why a lot of people say "damn skyline drivers", some of you are oh-so-ignorant. :P

How can you say that a WRX "handles" better than a GTS-t when you comment on the WRX's tendency to plough understeer in the next paragraph?

Stock WRXs handle like shit, but grip really well. For people who can't drive and can't tell the difference between handling and traction, the WRX is a much more enjoyable car to drive since it raises the limits before it goes completely pear shape, rather than improves chassis response at and above a lower limit.

But please, enlighten me. What exactly is your experience with both vehicles in a handling context?

You asserting that a WRX has good handling, and then talking about drag racing for the rest of the paragraph, brought a smile to my face though. You then accusing other people of ignorance got me laughing.

A stock GTS-T will body roll all over the place... oh, and the WRX will only understeer on the LIMITS, as will the GTS-T oversteer on or near the limit. Sorry, I should haven't clarified myself better :P I personally (like i'm sure you do) prefer to have the arse start coming around on me than the front tyres running off the road.. but thats beside the point, as thats what WE like, which shouldn't be used in a fair comparison.

Well tell me exactly what you are comparing the cars to?? I'm comparing handling and performance. :D Both are pretty relavant in comparing cars don't ya think... hence why I talking about handling and then drag racing... I thought that made sense?

I know what you mean about grip vs actual handling, but i'm not going to be convinced a stock GTS-T outhandles a stock WRX. Where exactly have you decided this? I've driven my fair share of performance cars and have a fair idea about handling vs grip. I've driven five GTS-Ts all up (ranging from 94 - 97 models), and i've driven the same number of WRXs (MY94 - MY01).

I personally don't think i'm going to change your view anyway... considering how passionate you have been about it throughout this thread. :)

Ok. To finish this huge thread of differing opinions, which is what I asked for, I have come to the decision to get a R33, get a FMIC, Exhaust and ECU and have some RWD fun. Is this the best basic mods to fit for instant HP? What else is better? BUt don't forget there is always a budget!

Thanks for everyone who has commented passionatly about this topic.!

Hi,

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

A stock wrx will definitely be quicker down the qtr than a stock r33 GTST....

I know because my brother has a 99 wrx and it could do the qtr mile quicker than my stock r33 GTST.

The boost should not be used as argument, as to run 14psi on a std wrx is standard so is to run 7psi on a R33 GTST.

Well that's all I gotta say, but the R33 is much more fun!!

Learn something new everyday :)

So now comes a fair comparison... a stock WRX vs a stock R33 with 14psi...

hmmmmm lol

Yes mate thats part if the reason that they are quick , (LOL some trucks run 25-30psi and dont forget it's a 2.0lt only) , stock rex V stock gtst , the rex smokes the gtst everywhere 0-100 and 1/4 mile and both cars stock the rex is on top on the circuit as well by a big margin and if it happens to be damp its the line that will end up on the wall , thats a fact .

Whats more fun , thars personal choice of course they both can be fun in their own way , if you want the best of both buy a GTR , its only got 206 kw ( same as a gtt or supra + supra has heaps more torque ) and not a lot of torque either but it will smoke most cars on the road stock for stock .

Then again for the price of a new gtr at around 6 million jpy you could buy 2 gtt's , 2 sti's or 2 evos or even an M3 bmw .

And from what I experienced in the WRX, and pretty much every motor journo internationally has written about the STi, you notice it.

The Liberty GT has a decent torque curve, but the turbo'ed Imprezas have an "every day is race day" engine. You either drive it like you stole it and its quick, or get taken by Excels and Civics when you're driving it low in the rev range and try a rolling start in a middle gear.

Give me an SR20DET or RB20DET any day.

How many rexes have you beaten with your Excel or Civic ?

Yes the liberty gt has more power and more torque than the rex but nowhere as quick , just like the gtt has the same power as a gtr but nowhere as quick .

Liberty is a luxo rex is a racer thats the diff , i know you are going to bring the power to weight thing in but before you do the liberty weighs about the same a the sti with almost the same power and the sti is a good 2 seconds quicker .