SAU Community

Who has driven a very well setup R32 GTS-T?

Just wondering whether anybody has driven a very nicely setup R32 GTS-T, with a combo of both handling and performance? And what these mods are? I know quite a few R33 GTS-T owners try to get a balance between the two (even then thats a small minority) .. but its quite hard to get a yardstick when it comes to the R32.

Other than SK's valuable comments to do with his race R32.. there aren't many too many on here who have raced their R32 GTS-T at the track, what they have found the weaknesses are, and how they can be improved, and what they might do again. Has anybody other than Roy and SK actually have R32 they have spent as much on the handling as the performance stuff?

I'm quite impressed by how my R32 is coming along, only with a few basic handling mods so far.. can't wait to get a few more things on it.

please no r33 vs r32 comments in here.. ive owned both.. just some R32 setups, and what has been done.

:headbang:

My 32 has Tokiko Potenza struts and springs, front and rear Spats braces and some urethane bushes. Handles very well, a little too low maybe but you really have to push it to get it to slide out and it turns in very well....

Its limited to filter, boost, exhaust though power isn;t huge.

i got cusco coilovers and a 1.5 way locker in my 32 and handles sweet i feel maybe a little bit of slip around tight corners but handles better then anythin els ive driven. performance mods are pod, supra front mount, larger zaust. but soon to be 33 turbo and new exhaust and maybe more boost see what happens. if your interested in taking a look pm me as im on the gold coast too

LOL...i so want to do a clean slate R32 GTST:)

I have foud their only real weakness for track work is acceleration between 120 and 200km/h and beyond. If you can get a bit more grunt thru this range you will be able to scare some really quick cars. With the power im running at the moment, if i up the boost by 4psi and get around 250-260rwkws then i think that weakness would be about sorted, thing is i havent tried running 22psi at a track day and would want to drop the revs i use to about 6,500rpm if i was to try.

Other then that they dont really have too many weaknesses, depending how far you go with one aspect of the car you will find that a lot of parts need repalcing as you get quicker. Much more then 240rwkws you have to start looking at radiators, decent caliper and rotor upgrade. You can live without them but its more fun when you can punch out lap after lap without havign to worry about them:)

On my old R32, I had a fairly simple but effective package, it was using GAB adjustable dampers and Apexi springs, felt lovely, not bumpy at all and the car handled very confidently. I had the RB25DET conversion and with all the mods, it was a weapon indeed, that midrange torque hole of the RB20 didnt exist, and it was much smoother to drive, especailly daily driving.

I don't actually find the RB20 *too* laggy around town - I think some of that is due to the fact mine is still an auto and that really helps it get going.. until I get some motivation up to put all the manual gear in :Oops: It does take a while to hit the power band though, but its not like you are sitting there going "come on, come on"

i got cusco coilovers and a 1.5 way locker in my 32 and handles sweet i feel maybe a little bit of slip around tight corners but handles better then anythin els ive driven

Do you find the cusco's pretty bumpy around town? A 1.5 or 2 way would be damn nice. Sliding the back around would be fun I guess, except when you look at your tyres ;) I'd love to see how a 1.5 way felt in an r32 though - so maybe soon i'd like to check it out. I've probably seen your R32 around, as I've only seen about 3-4 black ones down here

I have foud their only real weakness for track work is acceleration between 120 and 200km/h and beyond. If you can get a bit more grunt thru this range you will be able to scare some really quick cars.

This wouldn't be just limits of the 2L ? Requires cam work to overcome that? or just a differently balanced turbo? That is where I found the rb25 really shone.. right up to about 200km/hr it just kept pulling, even with the stock turbo.

On my old R32, I had a fairly simple but effective package, it was using GAB adjustable dampers and Apexi springs, felt lovely, not bumpy at all and the car handled very confidently. I had the RB25DET conversion and with all the mods, it was a weapon indeed, that midrange torque hole of the RB20 didnt exist, and it was much smoother to drive, especailly daily driving.

. .rb25 or rb30 in a R32 really would be the killer combo.. I want to have a bit of fun with the RB20 for a while myself, just get to find out some of its limits and not to have to care so much about it.. before going the Rb25.. which is still sitting in my garage ready to go in.. but there isn't massive motiivation just to slap the rb25 in without all the support handling systems there. Hopefully in 6-12 months I have all that ready, and can slap the rb25 in and know it will be a rocket.

Other then that they dont really have too many weaknesses, depending how far you go with one aspect of the car you will find that a lot of parts need repalcing as you get quicker. Much more then 240rwkws you have to start looking at radiators, decent caliper and rotor upgrade. You can live without them but its more fun when you can punch out lap after lap without havign to worry about them

Yeah.. I am not sure where i want to go really.. I bought a highflow rb25 turbo which should supposedly give me around 220-230rwkw .. (not quite sure how much on the rb20) which may even be enough. I'm starting to think too much over that 250-300+ @ about 1250kg, might be a lost cause in a RWD no matter what brakes, suspension and tyres you have in :-s So maybe its best to stop there ? or??

So many options out there really as to turbo, cams, brakes, tyres, other handling bits - hard to know where the money is best to be spent. Next steps i am considering some Whiteline springs (put bilsteins in a couple of weeks ago - fair difference, maybe not as much as imagined), front swaybar, then rear.. then hopefully that is enough for 12 months or so while i fiddle with engines, etc

Keep any feedback coming.. anybody else have around 220rwkw+ and likes to take it to the track occasionally?

mate i have an awesome set up (for drifting) running about 10 psi tein fully adjustable suspension 3"mandrel hks air pod all new bushes bride race seat and locked or two way diff

have no trouble spinning in second infact i cant race on the street cause i just dont get any traction and im running 255,s on the rear but for drifting its set perfect.

i got it through a well nown importer in melbourne and was clearly a drifter in japan

i no that means the car has been given a hard time but it still sounds strong and drive perfect when cruiseing

thats my say and i read that some 1 has written that it is common for 32,s to not be able to spin second hhhhmmmmm com for a ride with me

cheers chris

mate i have an awesome set up (for drifting) running about 10 psi tein fully adjustable suspension 3"mandrel hks air pod all new  bushes bride race seat  and locked or two way diff

have no trouble spinning in second infact i cant race on the street cause i just dont get any traction and im running  255,s on the rear but for drifting  its set perfect.

i got it through a well nown importer in melbourne  and was clearly a drifter in japan  

i no that means the car has been given a hard time but  it still sounds strong  and drive perfect  when cruiseing  

thats my say and i read that some 1  has written  that it is common for 32,s to not be able to spin second  hhhhmmmmm com for a ride with me  

cheers chris

its an r32 gts-t

Sounds like fun, but there is no reason why it should be struggling for traction like that...unless of course you have it set up so hard with alignment setting so that it doesnt get its power to the ground...which would frustrate the hell out of me.

But if you want to go to the track then you dont want that sort of oversteer, as its easy to induce when cornering hard without having to resort to a suspension setup that refuses to get power down.

This wouldn't be just limits of the 2L ? Requires cam work to overcome that? or just a differently balanced turbo? That is where I found the rb25 really shone.. right up to about 200km/hr it just kept pulling, even with the stock turbo.  

Yeh possibly.

Its hard to know what other ppl were doing as i wasnt in their cars, but down the straights at Sandown i was pulling away from a R33 running GT30 running low boost with about 250-260rwkws. I was quicker down the straights then a 575 Ferrari.

So the car isnt slow in a straight line, its was actually quicker down the straight at Phillip Island then a 250rwkw std turbo GTR.

But the thing is as a basic car i dont know how to get more power out of a std RB20 without losing too much in the way of bottom end. And for the money spent on cams etc you are perhaps better starting with a better lego set:)

Right now the car could sacrifice perhaps 200-300rpm but thats it. Any more and the thing would be too hard to get out of corners:(

So it comes back to you can get GTSTs to stop really well, handle really well, have good power down with simple tweaks and and bolt ons. If you want the sort of grunt that sees you keep up with GTRs running 2530s, GT3 Porsches etc then you need more grunt which is where the RB20 starts to struggle.

With 280-300rwkws, an R32 GTST would spring some big surprises on ppl.:) Best bet is ring the RB20s neck whilst you spend money on areas of the car that will make you quicker, susp, diff, tyres, brakes, cooling...then go on the hunt for some real power with an RB30.

And admittedly you many be able to keep up with the serious cars in a straight line, but typically they are also nicer in the susp/brake department with one corner of their cars being worth what all my susp costs:(

Ppl laugh but itat me...but its only a sum of all the parts you have, sure they have to work together, but its always the cost of the parts you have under you.

If a GTST had the same gear the quick cars had, it too would be quick. Good example of this is an AVO R33 GTST down here in Vic. Has a GT3540 on std RB25 pumping out 290rwkws, has good brakes, DMS susp and is still getting sorted because of the recent changes to DMS and from std manifold bolt on turbo to GT3540. So even still he did a 1:23.1 which is damn quick considering he was barely quicker then me on the straight as he was having problems with the Link and new setup.

Yeah.. I am not sure where i want to go really.. I bought a highflow rb25 turbo which should supposedly give me around 220-230rwkw .. (not quite sure how much on the rb20) which may even be enough. I'm starting to think too much over that 250-300+ @ about 1250kg, might be a lost cause in a RWD no matter what brakes, suspension and tyres you have in :-s So maybe its best to stop there ? or??  

And at the moment on 90deg 2nd gear coners i can flatten it in 2nd and i dont get wheelspin. On the quick flowing corners in say 3rd you need to show throttle control but thats the whole point of driving. You dont have a problem accelerating out of the corner but if you try to floor it way too early and it kicks sideways you cant turn around and say im strugglign for traction.

A car that you can floor everywhere and the AWD yada yada yah sorts things out like EVO VIIs etc doesnt appeal to me. Part of the reason whilst GTRs impress the pants off me they dont really appeal to me. The GTR boys say i dont understand, which is true, but they havent driven a car like mine either so they dont understand the fun/challenge it is on fast circuits:) It would be great if i had the power Bullant47 has:)

If your bolting an RB25 in then id say get a turbo that will give you 260-270rwkws. I have seen ppl with std engines running this power at the track with no probs, thing is they were tuned well.

LOL...long post, but its good too see some other ppl starting to have a play with asn R32, you can do it cheaply and have hige fun, or you spend to your hearts content and end up with a genuinely quick car challenging for outrigth wins at Sprints :rofl:

my new suspension was supposed to go in last thursday, but its been delayed, so HOPEFULLY it gets in this Thursday..

Getting Whiteline 'Works' Pack (Springs, Shocks, F&R Swaybars, Adjustable front castor bushes, adjustable rear camber bushes)

along with:

Adjustable Front Camber bushes

Hicas lock bar

Subframe lock & align kit (pineapples)

new urethane lower control arm bushes

new tie rod ends

will let you all know how it turns out!

yea the cuscos are extremely bumpy and it slips around corners nicely

i remember when i first test drove the car it was raining and the tyres were just legal lol was a fun drive. the first 2 months i had the car the roads were wet 80% of the time so ive kinda learnt how to control the slippery bits well. but anytime u wanna check it out mate pm me and let me know we will work something out. and compare vehicles of course.