SAU Community

Goign To Japan For A Week To Buy A Car!

Hello all!

I was wondering, could you save money going to japan and buying the car yourself, i have a cousin over there that i can stay with and translate for me. im looking at a R32GTST type-M that's got a rb25 conversion and ide like to check out the drift scene kind of like a mini-holiday ( about 2 weeks )

what do you guys think would it be a good idea and would i save money by not going through an importer?

its a great idea if you know a bit about cars

i wish i had done it that way when i imported my car

dont trust importers

i have to spend a fortune getting rust and other things fixed on my car when i payed for one in imaculate condition

Edited by DRFTR33

You wont save money but you would have fun.

You wont have access to any of the auctions (USS auctions in Chiba etc) as you need a license to attend the auctions.

Also you wont be able to comply any non-standard R32 pretty much rule that out.

About the only way it'd make sense is if your "cousin" was an australian citizen who has lived in Japan for more than 1 year. Then you might be able to work something out.

You can import a modded R32 that way, but she has to have owned it for 12 months before its eligible to come in. If she is going to be there for 12 more months and you can wait that long it's a good way to do it.

You can import a modded R32 that way, but she has to have owned it for 12 months before its eligible to come in. If she is going to be there for 12 more months and you can wait that long it's a good way to do it.

not really because there are extra costs which would probably make it break even maybe even cost more .... things like parking.. insurance etc etc the whole time while you have owned it...

If you want a to go to Japan do it as a holiday... if you know someone who can take you to the auctions, then do both... but if you dont, get it done through someone

Your idea sounds good at first, and I've thought about how I could do similar (personal imports).

Like the others said, importing a car with an engine swap is not possible (wont get complied) under SEVS, which is the only way to go now as the 15 year rule is gone.

So its not really feasible, unless you are really fussy and you want to make sure the car you buy is exactly what you want(and you have access to auctions etc). Otherwise, choose one of the importers, tell them what you want, and stick to auction vehicles, as all the major Japanese auctions should have vehicle assessments done before auction, so you know what you are getting. You NEVER know what you are getting when you deal with "trusted suppliers", who are also known as "dodgy Gaijin", and "those with short life expectancy if I ever go back to Japan".