SAU Community

Timing Belt

ex-static

I dropped my car in this morning to get the timing belt replaced, however the place rings me and says they cant find a belt, and the only one they can find is a genuine nissan one, and its $140.. This sounds a bit rich to me.. so I'm trying to source one myself.. has anyone got a part number? or know ehere I can get a belt?

Also, how much should I expect to pay for it to be replaced? Is it a big job? Maybe I could do it myself?

Thanks..

ex

i had mine replaced with a genuine nissan belt, was something close to the $120 mark

an aftermarket one was slightly less

personally, $140 is nothing considering what COULD happen if the job was not done properly

dont skimp on it mate, its a small price to pay for the peace of mind it provides

ex-static: twin cams take more time to do, which means more labour and equals to more cash, i wouldnt try doing it myself either cause they are a bitch if you dont know what your doing.

try and see the part number on you belt that you already have on your car and ring up a few places.

and you would be changing the water pump as well I hope. Also have a good look at the belts rollers. No point doing half a job.

I agree, from memory i paid about $500, that included belt, new water pump, new idler bearings (which were not cheap but didnt want any whirring noise at idle) and of course labour.

I believe they also pressure tested my radiator as part of changing the water pump and inspecting the rest of coolant system.

Quick story, my old R31 which when i bought it had a high flowed turbo bolted to R32 engine running Microtech, all installed by respected shop in Sydney. After about a month of ownership i started having big probs with stalling and running real ruff.

After 4 weeks off the road trying everyting from ECU, to fuel pump, to injectors, crank angle sensors, it turned out the timing belt that was replaced on the new engine wasnt tensioned properly, so would jump teeth. Its the simple things that cost money and make a car relaible.

Bloody hell,,,I forgot another cost,,,,hows your Water Pump,Power Steering and Air Cond BELTS looking,,,,. If your at 100000 and your Aux belts are worn,,, I'd hate to be the Mechanic having to put old crappy ones back on. The PK type belts crack very often.

Neil.

my car is nearly at 110,000k's. i've been wanting to get it serviced and change the plugs and timing belt for ages now. just been going cheap and doing the oil change myself.

went to my mechanic and he told me to buy the parts myself and bring it to him and he'll charge me labour.

dunno if he knows what he's doing on my car though. anyone recommend a mechanic in melb with decent price?

got the following from meggala's site:

Belts

Nissan Number

AC Belt 11720-77A00

Alt/Fan Belt 11720-42L02

Pwr St belt 11950-58S01

Fuel Filter 16400 41B05

Aftermarket Number

AC Belt 4PK910

Alt/Fan Belt 4Pk850

Pwr St Belt 3Pk845

Timing Belt:-

13028-20P25 8/93 to 2/98

13028-5L327 2/98 onwards

be honest with you guys, im a qualified mechanic and if a mechanic cant change a RB timing belt, they shouldnt be working as a mechanic. there is one mark on the crank sproket, and one on each cam sproket. pretty much exactly the same as a CA-18. estimated time to replce belt........2 hours max.so if anyone bullshits you and trys to charge too much labour, tell them to stick it up their ass!

cheers.