SAU Community

R34 Gtr V-spec Or 350z

calvintys

Hi everyone it has been long time i haven been chatting within SAU, how is everyone, anyway i was bussy looking for $$$ and now the time have finally arrived. Just need to get some idea between skyline members.

I am going to get either 2000 R34 GTR V-spec or Brand new 350Z. However the 350Z is only Auto version (Malaysia). my previous car is R33 GTR, R34 GTT, R32, NSX Auto. If you guys were me what would you guys get?

Chees

Calvin

Edited by calvintys

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

additional information is for me i can get a Brand new 350Z and R34 GTR (millage is KM 70 000) for almost the same price. So that why i am confuse here.

Has anyone driven a mod up 350Z before, this is because i can see from my side is that the 350Z has more potential over skyline now.

Stock for Stock their is no comparison.

But it is possible to make a fully tuned 350Z with RB26, beat a fully built GTR.

But it requires an additional 50k and a lot of hard work. Yep I've been watching too many jap car DVD's.

Short answer is, go the GTR !! No other car within 50k will deliver the same performance with light mods. Except maybe and Evo.

GTR every time , 350Z ( used ) can be had for half price here .

The only thing better than an R34 gtr is a NUR- M-spec .

Why would you want to buy an auto ?

Well bassically they done have much Manual around and i never seen any manual around here. Impul malaysia only sell Auto version. Unless i go for personal import which again it going to take a lot of trouble.

The idea i am thinking if i buy an 350z would be change it to munual later down the track if i fell the HP is not enough. How much rwkw can an TT pull out from vg35.

If I had the choice between a 350Z and an R34 GT-R, I'd take the GT-R. But then, it suits my intended purpose in a vehicle. I realise that I just want something fast first, comfortable second (or third).

I don't know of anyone who has fitted TT kits to auto 350Zs (aside from the occasional one-off jobs in Japan), so I can't say how well the gearbox will handle it. The manual TT Z's are pulling a fair amount of power these days though.

I do find it quite amusing that everyone is writing off the VQ35 motor. "Get an RB26!!!" etc. Considering the car's only 2WD, there's a much lower limit as to how much power you can make before the numbers are for wanking anyway.

The guy who owns the blue APS TT Z featured in several magazines already says that he has powerdown issues on full throttle in a fair few gears. That's with standard internals and cams, and relatively low boost.

With a stronger bottom end and some head work to get it breathing better (mods that aren't uncommon on hard-tuned RB26's), you could make more power up top or run more boost through the midrange.

But, with almost an extra litre of capacity the car's a lot more responsive and drivable down low. In a street car, that's a bit more important than a bigger top end.

As for handling....unless I have been grossly misled on the laws of physics, putting a longer, heavier engine into an already front heavy car isn't going to do it any favours in the handling department.

I'm not saying that the RB26 won't make more power if you throw the catalog at it (and I've already said that I would take the R34 over the Z33 any day). It has got over a decade head-start when it comes to R&D and a lot of the parts and methodologies are well known. But for a daily drivable Z33 that power-wise isn't too heavy, or too light, getting a TT kit for the VQ would be a much better option.

Edited by scathing

As Drunkan pointed out, it depends what you want out of a car. There is a lot to be said for a brand new car you can make warranty claims on, can be dropped off for dealer servicing, has spare parts readily available, doesn't cost the earth to insure, can be parked on the street.... you get the idea.

There are a lot of sacrifices you make when owning a GT-R. Not everyone will find them acceptable.

As for handling....unless I have been grossly misled on the laws of physics, putting a longer, heavier engine into an already front heavy car isn't going to do it any favours in the handling department.

I'm not saying that the RB26 won't make more power if you throw the catalog at it (and I've already said that I would take the R34 over the Z33 any day). It has got over a decade head-start when it comes to R&D and a lot of the parts and methodologies are well known. But for a daily drivable Z33 that power-wise isn't too heavy, or too light, getting a TT kit for the VQ would be a much better option.

Yes, one of the main selling point of the Z is it's excellent weight distribution. 53 Front 47 Rear, and putting an RB26 in would change this geometry and probably turn the car into a pig on the track. However, Endless overcame this issue with carbon firbe panels in the front end and maintained the 53/47 stock weight distrubution.

I haven't done any research, but i'm guessing a built RB26 transplant would be cheaper bang for buck than a built TT kit for the Z. And the other valid point is that the RB26 is a known stong staring point with an endless supply of off the shelf performance parts. This was one of the main reason I bought my R.

I'm just suggesting here what my current dream is, and i'm basing my ideas on a jap car vid review of current tuned GTR's Vs. 350z with RB26 on the track and the 350 looked easier to steer and was a second quicker than the next closest GTR.

But if I wanted a daily driver I would buy the Z. If I wanted performance bang for buck it's the GTR for sure.