SAU Community

Can't Even Get 3rd Partyp

Here's the deal:

My car supposedly got damaged in transit from Japan, nothing too major, just a few dings and scratches, but its spread over most of the car. Its nothing more than what most cars on the road have, but I was told it was in a lot better condition, so thats why I'm claiming. I'm not totally convinced it happened after the car left Japan however.

Now I'm trying to get my claim in against the shipping company and their insurance, but its going slow, because I need quotes for repair, and my car is uninsured and I've been banned from driving it until it has at least third party. I live at home, which is too cushy to risk getting kicked out(it lets me have a GTR + another car), and also I realise there is a very slight chance of something happening, beyond my control even, while I'm driving and crashing up $100k+ damage to other vehicles or property.

Now I finally got around to getting insurance. I had gotten several quotes from JustCar etc, and I followed up one of these for TPP insurance.

After several minutes taking details, I was eventually told that they could not commence cover until all the damage had been fixed.

Famous dont do third party insurance, but they said the same, no cover till its fixed.

This is because they also cover my vehicle if it is hit by an uninsured vehicle, and if its damaged already that would confuse things too much. I'm not sure if they mean it'd conflict with the other claim, or just the existing damage level before an accident.

What should I do?

Does anyone know if any companies insure with existing damage?

Will they cover me if I waive that part of the cover?

Arrgh! My car is finally running right, I've got the PowerFC ready to go in and get tuned(+ a few other bits), and I cant drive it! HELP!

first thing is fix the damage, get two quotes (or even three if you want). go with the one you want, fix the car, then you can get insurance no problem. keep the invoice and the quotes you got for your claim. only real option.

Talk to insurance company and explain the situation, are dents and scratches counted as unrepaired damage because most cars with insurance have damage like that? Did you explain what the damage was like to them? Just talk to insurance again and see if there are any options available.

Good luck.

Yeah, I managed to get two quotes before the oldies realised I hadn't got insurance. I want to get another one though, because one is about $500 less than the other(it doesn't include remove/replace rooflining and a few other things).

I dont know how long the claim processing will take, and I dont quite have enough cash to just get it done and follow up the claim later. They might just say that the damage was there before they took custody, and then I'd have to pursue it thru my importer/broker.

Just spoke to JustCar again to clarify.

They cannot alter their policies at all, i.e. me waive the part of the policy that covers me if I get hit by an uninsured vehicle.

They cannot offer insurance to any damaged vehicle, this includes dents and scratches.

you're f**ked now.. should never have told them it had minor dents and scratches.. that is to be expected with any older car, and cannot be expected to be in 'as new' condition 15 years later.. barring major dents or obvious roadworthy items.

you could argue that in court with any compentant lawyer, and they should be able to slaughter the insurance company, even with their lawyers. Its just a fact of old cars, they are no longer 'perfect' (within obvious limits of course)

I suggest getting the dent doctor out, popping out the minor ones.. getting a receipt for the fix, and shoving it in their noses.. as 'fixed'. Take photos if required.

Just call up any insurance company that will offer you insurance for the car at all. Don't say anything about the dents. As long as the car is roadworthy they arent really a problem. Tell them you want to sign up insurance but to send you the bill. The cover will begin immediately and will last for about 2 weeks unpaid (called a cover note) so you can begin driving the car and the insurance company will cover you.

When they send you the bill dont pay it - or ring them up and tell them you decided with a cheaper company.

Once the car is fixed of dents in that two weeks then you can ring up Just Cars and take their insurance out.

This works as long as you dont try and get dodgy about it and keep getting cover notes instead of paying for insurance.

I will not drive a car uninsured myself either but have done this cover note thing a few times when i get new cars. Make sure you write down the policy number they give you over the phone.

If you cant afford to fix the damage properly, you could always just buy a tin of body filler some sandpaper and some flat black paint.

Would cost no more than 45 dollars, 40 if you already own a paint roller.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, they never said your car had to be shiny as long as its not scratched and dented. Could be a bit of a loophole.

Geeze its only third party property, its not like they were gonna fix your car if you crashed anyway. But I agree with what the others have said... slouldn't have told them! B)

It's Third Party Property. So it shouldn't matter a rat's to the insurance company that the car has a few scratches, because TPP doesn't cover repairs to your car anyway.

Try your local auto club (RACV, NRMA, etc).

Actually, with their Third Party Property, Justcar cover damage to your car if you are involved in an accident caused by an uninsured vehicle/driver. So thats why.

It's Third Party Property. So it shouldn't matter a rat's to the insurance company that the car has a few scratches, because TPP doesn't cover repairs to your car anyway.

Try your local auto club (RACV, NRMA, etc).

The problem with not telling insurance companies about damage to your car is a little thing called NON DISCLOSURE. Yeah, you say now "Nothing's gonna happen" but how do you know? Accidents happen all the time, it doesn't mean it's going to be your fault.

Non disclosure = no cover. I have seen / heard of so many examples of people being burnt by non disclosure. By the way, constantly taking out cover notes then cancelling them or letting them lapse is really, REALLY ANNOYING. I work for a broker, and it is pretty offensive that some people of such a mentality always seem to ring at quarter to 5 on a friday afternoon, desperately wanting cover. So we rush around like blue a$$ed flies, it's our time and our paperwork, for nothing. Our service is not free. Please don't be yet another time waster, it's really disrespectful. / end rant