SAU Community

Quick Question

hey guys, just need a little help with my upgrades.

ive got an r33 gtst and am looking at getting something close to 250rwkw with a turbo upgrade in the near future. my current mods are fmic, power fc, exhaust, cam gears, pod filter and boost controller. would gtr injectors and pump be big enough to support this power? ive had many mixed answers to this question thought id just ask you guys.

thanks guys.

can pick up Nismo injectors from nengun.com for pretty cheap (GTRinjectors are top fed, RB25 injectors are side fed = dont fit),

thats where I got my 840cc ones from, I also had a Bosch 040 in tank pump...it lasted a year an was noisy. Now have the equivilant Nippon Denso pump which has made a huge diference, also with half the noise!

my set-up is similar to yours, I'm running a hi-flow turbo on hi psi (18-20) and making 248rwkw.....not much more i can squeeze out of the turbo now though, it's pretty much at its limits, either cams or different turbo set-up to go further?

but this set-up has run very reliably with no problems arising over the 1.5yrs i've had it like this (apart from bosch pump dieing and not getting anything back under warranty)

cheers, my 2 cents

agreed.

get nismo injectors, direct fit = no issues.

either 555 or 740 (only a $50 price difference from memory)

ontop of that, bosch fuel pump/hi-flo turbo and a PFC.

Dont bother with cam gears. No gain to be had unless your making massive power. No need for cams either

If you are getting a set of s15 injectors, make sure they are off a turbo manual JDM s15. They should have a brown/redish top. I've also heard late series RX7 injectors are a good fit. Any truth to this?

"Mmmm, unexplained bacon."

no cam gears? my mate said 2 deffintaly get some

i was gonna buy some to go wit my car, usual mods, full zorst, bosh 040, power fc, cooler, pod, boost at around 10,11psi, fuel presure reg

so no need?

search, its been covered.

RB25/stocker turbo and a cam gear = did nothing at all. No gain to be had.

search, its been covered.

RB25/stocker turbo and a cam gear = did nothing at all. No gain to be had.

This always seems to be an area of debate...

I personally don't have one on my car, but have heard of people getting gains with an adj cam gear on the Std turbo...in contrast, I've also heard people getting no gain at all. Do a search for Benm's thread at least a year back where he got around ~10rwkw gain from an adjustable cam gear on a stock turbo RB25.

Yeah it generally is...

12months ago it was very uncommon for it.

but more people have fiddled recently only to find they have wasted $$$ as its done nothing and with a few hours on the rollers no plotable gain was made.

If i recall there have been 2-3 threads in the past 3 months on it

thanks for the replys guys

abcent - ive been told hi flow turbos for an r33 will only get me 220-230rwkw. im thinking about doing a hiflow but this is scaring me. is this true?

Search for Sydneykid and gcg highflow he has done or seen this on several cars making ~265rwkw with tommei poncams and supporting mods with more power everywhere. If I ever upgrade my turbo this is what I will be doing.

There is also someone on here has also put a larger exhaust housing on the turbo and made 290rwkw.

Edited by Munna

Hiflowing the stock turbo is a good, reliable and relatively inexpensive upgrade. It's usually good for around 230rwkw with the usual supporting mods (i.e PFC, FMIC, EBC, 3" turbo back exhaust, upgrade fuel pump & injectors). If you are satisfied with this level of power, then bang for buck, nothing beats the hiflow.

The reason why a lot of people don't choose the hiflow is because to get say 250rwkw using a hiflow (which seems to be a common goal these days), in addition to paying for your stock turbo to be hiflowed, you'll also need to spend more money on other areas of your engine (i.e cams, porting etc) than it would cost to buy a larger turbo that would do the job straight out of the box. Obviously the slight trade off with buying a larger turbo is that you loose some of the response of the hiflow, but at that power range the difference is relatively small.

Another reason why people decide against the hiflow is simply to leave some headroom for further modifications down the track.

If you want around 250rwkw with the original supporting modifications that I mentioned above, then the HKS GT-RS (or Garrett equivalent) is probably the best option. Their are quite a few people on the forum that are making upwards of 250rwkw with this turbo.

At the end of the day, either of the turbos can get you 250rwkw. You just have to decide which road you want to take to get there :blink: