SAU Community

What's Going On With Everyones Cars?

phat_r33

had today off as we had a big weekend, got the dust box out of the garage into the magic day it has been and stripped out some unwanted wiring.

thats the ariel wiring, rear wiper motor wiring, rear demistor, Hicas, rear speakers, boot tail lamp, boot latch sensor, door open sensors and a few other odds and ends.

still got the head unit and speaker wiring to come out, side mirrors wiring,

re wired the relays in the boot for external pumps and rewired the lift pump.

thinking about making carbon door trims, have been offered some carbon sheet, will see how what kind of coin he has in mind.

door trims weigh up around the 3kg mark speakers 1.5ish and electric mirrors 1.9ish close to 2 and hoping to save 2kgs atleast on lexan door screens each door. i'll be happy if i can get 12kgs total out of the doors and they remain looking nice clean simply and tidy.

another thing that I will look at one day is a alloy exhaust, there is some special grades that will take up to 600 degrees and will do the job after the dump. would save a bucket load of weight, Ryan (Capel) said they work out lighter than a Ti exhaust of same diamensions. anyway mine sounds shmick so will put up with the 20kg odd SS one for the time being =)

cheers

post-47373-0-82722000-1333350565_thumb.jpg

they run alloy exhausts a bit in the states, full race put one on the s14r thing but it blew out due to rubbing against a power steer line or something. got ages to think about it, only have about 1 trillion other things I need to do before I worry about it lol

I'm not going to bother with too much weight saving off the car until the driver gets down to an acceptable weight. (goal is under 90kg)

at least youre thinking logically Pete, so many times you see people with the weight of their car + driver trying to get rid of that last couple kg when they probably should be looking at their body weight instead of car weight

Well stuff all that weight saving boys you can keep that (for a year or two anyway) More excitingly Is the fact that this weekend I should be firing up the GTR for the first time since the rebuild. Everything's pretty much back together got a few things left like install radiator, catch can and fill coolant/oil but hopefully by the end of easter it should be pretty much ready to send off for a tune! Just a few pic's for inspiration lol.

post-58307-0-86295100-1333447912_thumb.jpg post-58307-0-44520400-1333447890_thumb.jpg post-58307-0-91725800-1333447873_thumb.jpg post-58307-0-27007200-1333447852_thumb.jpg

alloy side pipes is really getting down to the nitty gritty of it! , I'm hoping to get the 32 down to around 1200kg with me in it (I'm 92kg atm) might need to shed some excess off myself too lol

continuing to strip bits from the rear end today and prep the boot arear for paint. removed the battery base to find... MORE bloody sound deaner. nearly went into shock so quickly armed myself with the heat gun and my trusty scraper, took no more than 5 minutes for the horror to end. turns out its the stuff that wont freeze out, its the stuff you have to heat anyway so came out cleanly.

happy easter folks =)

Well Finally after a long 2 year wait the GTR finally comes to life! Spent all day saturday and most of yesterday troubleshooting and trying to work out why it wouldn't fire only to find out that with the new injectors I have I dont need to run the resistor dox. 30 second fix and fired up first turn! Thanks again to Burgz for sugessting to check that cause I was on the last straw ready to hand it over to someone who actually knew what they were doing lol.

Edited by trustr32

I've got a few questions if anyone can help.

First is...our diff in the R32 is start to single peg occasionally so we are thinking of shimming it up, however I was wondering how it will effect handling for normal circuit work (not drifting). I've read that it will cause understeer on initial turn in, but just wondering how bad is it and do the pros outweigh the cons?

Also, on a different subject, is it worth having semi slicks on the front for drifting?

Regarding the diff shimming mate, from my experience running one in my car it didn't cause any undster issues. I bought a second diff so I could shim the new one so it was ready to go straight in and then have the old housing there to put a decent 2 way in or maybe 1.5 way when i get around to it. I stripped the new diff I got down, was in great condition and had 2.2mm of preload in already. I fitted another .8mm in there to give it a total of 3mm. I Put some really thick 80-140 or so nulon oil in and it has been quiet and reliable ever since. Permanent loctite on all the crown wheel bolts, bolts and threads cleaned properly before reasembley and let to dry overnight before I topped it up with oil. Handling wise, it just magnified how shit my coilovers were. And it became a big handful. I drove around it but on power in a few spots around basky was wild, mainly turn one under the bridge. Car still rotates well, just power down corner exit becomes a whole new ball game. Hoping whole new shocks/springs geometry/ aero and new tires makes life easier. I plan to get a good mechanical when I can but not at the top of the todo list just yet. The other option is a gtr rear cradle, gtr drive shafts(thicker, more rotating mass) alloy rear hubs (lighter) and a gtr diff can be shimmed with nismo gear. Also u must run gtr rear shocks. Anyways enough ranting, give it ago does work and is a cheap solution to single pegging but obviously not as good as a mechanical.

Edited by Mr. Untouchable

Well stuff all that weight saving boys you can keep that (for a year or two anyway) More excitingly Is the fact that this weekend I should be firing up the GTR for the first time since the rebuild. Everything's pretty much back together got a few things left like install radiator, catch can and fill coolant/oil but hopefully by the end of easter it should be pretty much ready to send off for a tune! Just a few pic's for inspiration lol.

This up and running yet mate?

Also, on a different subject, is it worth having semi slicks on the front for drifting?

I don't know from experience or anything close to it :P but wouldn't it be pretty damned hard to get them up to a good working temperature at the start of the runs, giving you less traction than normal?

Maybe someone like Djrift or zoid (or anyone with drift experience) could confirm?