SAU Community

Water in tail lights???

Guest Flawless

I read somewhere that the seals don't hold up too well in japanese weather, and therefore they perish easily and then water gets in.. I know i've seen plenty of R33's with water in their headlights, some tail lights, how you would remove it i'm not 100% sure. Perhaps you'd have to pull the tail light apart and let it dry out, then re-seal it.

hehe lol at PVA.... Yeah I got the problem where 1 headlight is all clear and looks good and the other light is all misty and foggy, like there has been water on the inside.... I need to find a way to clean it and make it look as good as the other one.... one day I suppose...

In my R31 i resealed my taillights when water started to get in. I opened it up, and gave it a good clean. The more water that gets in there, the more gunk that builds up

It was amazing how much brighter the tail-lights are after I did that.

I didn't find it to hard to do by myself. Not really hard at all. Get some Selly's All-Clear, the squirter gun, apply the silicon to the edges in moderation and re-attach the lens. You may have to hold it there for say 5 minutes(or apply some strong cloth tape to get it to stay in position). When it feels pretty glued on you can generally just leave it for a day or so and it will harden and it shouldn't come off and no more water will get in.

The silicon basically seals and glues it all back together all at the same time. Great stuff. $10 job prolly at most.

I haven't needed to on my R33 but I can't imagine it being much more difficult.

I'm pretty sure you can buy it from Autobarn and Supercheap auto. I have a friend who bought some recently, I forget where from though I'm pretty sure it was Autobarn. I'll ask her and let you know.

I had the same problem with my r33.

The seals were fixed for $160 and its 100% better.

When it drys out and its just condensation on the light, you can do what i did and use a blowdryer on the outside of the light, use the fast and hot setting, close to the light, for about 15 minutes.....heat it up ...... it clears it up & helps for a day or so untill you fix it.

While I was playing around yesterday near the boot I had a look... You can actually take the whole assembly out i'm pretty sure. There is about 5 nuts and you can probably just remove a few plugs and pull the whole assembly and go sick.

Didn't do it myself (no need) but i am sure you can DIY.

$160 for seals though? I am sure you can do a good job with any number of sealing products costing $10 at much.

Yepp same probs over here, every tima i washes the car, left taillight is foggy inside and right is clean and dry, have take it under the operations table and come to a conclusion, between the rings are thay a hole, prox one centermeter in diameter and its there the dam water getting in, or is it my car ho dont have the plastic covers over the lights from inside? do you have those?

Cheers Klas