SAU Community

R33 Drift Project

Majanal

UPDATE 06-03-06:

Well after spending a weekend of working at work and the balance on the car removing the tar sound reducing I am still half a car from finishing the bloody sound reducing sticky as shit tar stuff. I have no hair left on the back of my hands and lower arms, burnt 7 fingers and one thumb, Have a lump on my head from jumping when I burnt 2 fingers and a thumb and hitting head on Rollcage cross over bar and can hardly keep my eyes open at work as I only got 2 hours sleep... The best bit of the news is that once I finish work today I have to go home and finish the task as we are painting the car THIS WEEK!

Still not 100% sure on what colour to paint it yet either...

Turbo has arrived, and collected injectiors, plenum, fuel pump, fuel rail, regulator the other day. Head doner engine has arrived and has plenty of gear that we can sell to try and get some of the money back... Should mean all we need to buy for the engine are exhaust manifold, studs, bolts, water pump, and Gaskets/seals.

Going drifting at Oran this friday, so have a bit to go to get the car ready in time... Wish me luck!

Dan.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE 14-3-06:

Hi Guys,

Well last week became a really busy one, was hoping to get the car painted and windows back in to run it at Oran park and attempt to qualify for the DriftLand Masters on March 24th... NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE AMOUNT OF WORK IN PAINTING A CAR!!!!

I spent Monday and Tuesday after work trying to finish the thing off and in the end gave up and decided that I would pull the engine out and just focus on the upcoming championship... there are SO many wires in a skyline... OMG!!! That was the end of Thursday and Friday... my days off.

I was back at it yesterday arvo and will be at it again just as soon as I finish work today... hopefully I will be ready to start the paint Prep work this arvo or tomorrow!

Speaking of Paint... I have decided on colours... and will hopefully be able to post up what the car will look like by the weekend. :geek: (I'll also put up some pictures also)

The fuel pump is in, and everything but a few bits have arrived for the engine... so I'll start on that just as soon as the car is ready to be painted.

Going to be a busy week again. But hopefully the car will be back on the road in 3 to 4 weeks... just in time for the SAU - NSW track day at Oran Park on the 29th of April.

Stay Sideways Kids,

Dan.

UPDATE 16-03-06:

MAN how much SHIT is in a skyline...

Have stripped the thing completely bare now, all bar for a few more bits of bloody tar sound deadening that just is bloody hidden everwhere... OMG!

Engine is out... all the wiring is also out, nothing remains except the steering wheel and the gearstick sticking through.

We have now spent about 150 hours on the shell prep alone... and we havent even started to rub it back yet... should be about 250 odd hours when all painted.

Once that is done we will start on building the engine.

I also spoke to Hybrid today and they are coming on board also... another good thing.

Suspension had a set back as Tein didn't make the HE suspension anymore, they replaced it with a set called Super Drift, which is apparently more suited to drift set up... so this is good... anyway, a set is on the way to my place now.

Have been spending every spare minute on this car recently, and toady I decided that this weekend is a weekend off... no working on the bloody car...

Pics to come and also the final very rough design of the livery (less sponsors).

stay tuned if you still are,

Dan.

Gotta take this oportunity to mention how flexible Jamie from Waterhouse Auto Care (02 4721 7227) and Eddie from Penrith City Exhausts (02 4721 3838) have been with my misunderstanding of how long it takes to prep a car... OMG!

I'll put a plug in for Jamie @ waterhouse auto care and Eddie @ penrith city exhaust.

These guys are great!

Eddie did the High mount manifold and stainless exhaust on my car ( SOUNDS AWESOME) although i have to take it back to him so he can hear it :P

Pretty sure i have seen the pistons your going to be running Dan, they look like they will do the job perfect for your application..

pretty much been watching the build at jamies for a while now, (since the wall incident) spent alot of time chatting to Jamie about the RB30 build, as he'll be doing mine too

Ahhh, Chris, so it is your car I have been watching too!

Yeah, was a bit unfortunate about the wall... but when I think about it that incident was the catalyst for me to build a real drift car!

I look forward to the next time you drop by the workshop... I am a permanent fixture there it seems! Would be good to listen to your zorst... Eddy makes some pretty top notch zorsts and Jamie has always done good work on my cars, and gives good advice also!

Talk soon mate,

Dan.

when are you gonna be in Jamies workshop next Dan? i have a few more things to chat to him about regarding the RB30 build. might bring the car over as well for a quick checkup too, plus eddie has to make new flange adapters for my new wastegate. it never ends.....

Love watching this build Dan, and I'll be there watching you kick arse this year!

I got a question for you too actually....

My heater box is f**ked at the moment, and looking at your interior pics, do you really have to pull that much of the dash apart to get at it?

Thanks guys... Should be a good thing once it is all done! Actually should be abck on the road in the next 2 weeks I hope... Have a private practice day on the 4th of April.

Just a quick question - who did the cage? Is is welded into the strut towers? Is it made to CAMS approval?

Malvern Motorsport (1300 72 66 54) did my cage, it is all welded in except for the side intrusion bars and is CAMS Approved under Schedule J. They did a great Job of the car, even if I did have to take it to Vic to get it done. They can do CAMS compliant bolt in for an R33.

I got a question for you too actually....

My heater box is f**ked at the moment, and looking at your interior pics, do you really have to pull that much of the dash apart to get at it?

Yeah you do unfortunatly... the heater box is pretty much the last thing to get to in there... I could do it I would guess in about 3-4 hours. (We love the saying that things is just a bolt in... After about 2 hours of Modification they do anyway!) You could probably get to it a bit eiser then we did, but we also had one end of the dash bar welded in... so that certainly didn't help.

SO... Who wants to see the rough mock up of the new colour of the car???

Dan.

when are you gonna be in Jamies workshop next Dan? i have a few more things to chat to him about regarding the RB30 build. might bring the car over as well for a quick checkup too, plus eddie has to make new flange adapters for my new wastegate. it never ends.....

Hey Chris,

Where did you get the thing you gave to Jamie about the RB30 build? We want to know which timing belt to get hold of...

Cheers,

Dan.

UPDATE 20-03-06:

Well today was a good day!

I managed to finish stripping the tar sound deadening and actually started on the wonderfull adventure of sanding and prepping the car for painting!

We now only have 14 days to get the car ready for a private practice day that has attracted a little bit of coverage... so it is good to be invited to that. BUT... I have a lot to do... as outlined below.

Sand and Prep car for painting.

Paint Car

Rebuild Car (wiring, minimal interior, windows)

Build engine and install

Run-in engine

Tune engine

Get car to track!

Should be a blast.

I have made a power point slid show... but can't get it to load...???

I'll update every day if possible on the count down to the practice day.

Let the countdown begin!

Dan.

Hey dude also in the process of building up a A31 Cefiro for Drift use with RB25DET powah, so i know how things go with this whole DIY stuff!!

But more so interested in the sanding / prepping and painting side of things! Are u doing it urself? Is it true u can just 'Sandblast' the f&*ker back to metal and just primer it....save a lot of time & effort with the sanding part!!??

Any chance of a write up afterwards on how to do it!? Tools, method, primer used, how many coats, filler etc....ahahahah 20 questions but u know u wanna!!

Edited by R33Deviat

Hey dude also in the process of building up a A31 Cefiro for Drift use with RB25DET powah, so i know how things go with this whole DIY stuff!!

But more so interested in the sanding / prepping and painting side of things! Are u doing it urself? Is it true u can just 'Sandblast' the f&*ker back to metal and just primer it....save a lot of time & effort with the sanding part!!??

Any chance of a write up afterwards on how to do it!? Tools, method, primer used, how many coats, filler etc....ahahahah 20 questions but u know u wanna!!

Not too sure on the sand blasting option, Finding the place to do it properly would be difficult and I would guess that you would not be able to do it yourself. I am using Scotchbright on the inside of mine at the moment... being 6'3" doesn't make it eaisy to get in around the dash area, that bit took nearly 4 hours. I have spent another hour on top of that and probably have only half the cabbin to go now... most of the tricky parts are out of the way. I am rubbing the paint back enough so that it has a matt finish, this will allow the paint to stick properly. I chose not to go for an Auto Salon finish, in that I'm not going to spend 100hrs prepping, as it is a drift car, and the chances of rubbing pannels is pretty high.

Sand blasting and priming I am almost thinking would take longer, as you have to sand blast it, getting the sand gun into all those tricky places that fingers can get with a little bit of trouble, and then prime the whole car and wait for it to dry. Having said that, there is probably still a good 10 to 12 hours left to have it properly prepped using sand paper (scotch bright), lets see how we are travelling at the end of the week.

The motavation does dwindle a little at times, but I have found little things to do along the way to take my mind off it... you know, things you think I just do this and then come back to it... like removing little clips that are stuck behind the roll cage... that takes a couple of hours!

hey Dan,

gave him a copy of this document

http://www.geocities.com/r32_jjc/

the rb30 DOHC pdf document from Joel's (cubes) site.

the belt to use its on the last page, 1200mm long, 8mm pitch, 150 teeth, 25mm wide

Thanks Chris. Will do!

Be back at the shop tomorrow arvo if you are in the area!

Dan.